´Alien´ Drop Ship

• 2 years later...

There was also a lead gaming miniture made too. Heavy as all get out. A friend of mine had one and it needed to be constantly fixed since the landing gear kept collapsing . I think it was close to the same scale as the Halcyon kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished a build of the Halcyon kit last year (bought new in 1997 for about $60 NZD). It's roughly 1:72, quite basic, has all the qualities you would expect of a limited run kit and while not too difficult, its not a good kit for beginners either. I did a little bit of scratchbuilding on mine to get it to a point where I was happy with it. I've been told it is not a kit that is often seen built.

I figured there would be a million and one of these built in the movie schemes, so I used some licence and came up with my own, inspired by various sources.

DS4.jpg

The cockpit detail is practically non existent, and I didn't feel like scratching one, so blacked out the windows. Note the sharks teeth, courtesy of some surplus VF-111 F-14 decals :( Also I built some launch rails for the missiles, since there are none in the kit.

DS3.jpg

I boxed in the weapons pod arms with plastic sheet; they are just three sided shells out of the box.

DS1.jpg

1:72 MH-53 included for size comparison-its not a small creature once finished! If you take the rotor assembly off an AH-1 it will fit underneath the dropship quite neatly.

DS2.jpg

Edited by Mumbles