Phantom detail pits?

I have been looking for a Cockpit for my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J and it seems there there is OR has been four different set available at one time?

KMC F-4J Cockpit set

Blackbox F-4J Cockpit

Aires F-4J Cockpit set

Legend F-4J Cockpit set

Verlinden...?

Cutting Edge...?

Who makes the best detail set, why are Blackbox set selling for so much on eBay/rapeBay?

Second question, what other details on the Hasgawa F-4J would be improved by resin or PE sets? Wheel wells, wheels, pylons, exhausts....

Thanks for any help.

Who makes the best detail set, why are Blackbox set selling for so much on eBay/rapeBay?

Because most are out of production.

The BB pit I used in my RAF Phantom was very nicely molded and added a lot, but was a PITA to fit. You just never know with the aftermarket pits, some fit great, others are a pain.

I am currently working on a Hasegawa F-4J myself. I usually add aftermarket pits when they are available, but so far, I don't see a need to add one to this kit. I am painting the cockpit now, and the detail looks pretty good out of the box. I am adding a pair of Aires bang seats as an improvement over the kit seats.

Mike

The old KMC set was a real beauty, it was based on the original kit parts - so it fitted a very well, I've still got some odd and ends of them floating about for the day I return to 48th !

To be honest - in 48th I think you'd be best served just getting replacement seats ,remember the cockpit walls angle away pretty sharply -and you'd be hard put to actually see most of the detail a BB set adds

If you want to pretty up the pit , have a look at some of the Eduard colour PE. the IP's in particular look superb - other than that , a some scratch built CB panels on the cockpit walls , and some wiring for the back of the RIO's panel - and Voila' a great F-4 Pit !

For a Phantom pit,BB or Aries is the way to go,they are a bit more accurate than the KMC.The bulkhead behind the seat is vertical on the real thing where the kit and KMC set has it at a 1-3 degree angle.

The Eduard colored sets are a nice way to go as well,using them in my Mustang at the moment and they are awesome.

Dave

Former F-4C and E crew chief

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

I'm moving away from detail pits in Phantoms. Apart from the seats and the rear of the rear panel I find you can't see next to anything in the pits anyway.

Just not worth the expence to me.. Seats, like mentioned, those do need replacement.

For a Phantom pit,BB or Aries is the way to go,they are a bit more accurate than the KMC.The bulkhead behind the seat is vertical on the real thing where the kit and KMC set has it at a 1-3 degree angle.

The Eduard colored sets are a nice way to go as well,using them in my Mustang at the moment and they are awesome.

Dave

Former F-4C and E crew chief

I believe there is indeed a FGR.2 specific Eduard color etch set available in 1/48, I rememer Hannants among others listing it recently, a search there may bring fruition.

Brian

Pardon me for butting in, but would I need to get a specific UK-stylee pit for my 1:48 Revell FGR.2, or are they quite generic?

Mike,

Aires recently released a "British Phantom FGR.1 Cockpit" for the Hasegawa FG1/FGR2 which is beautifully detailed. However I am not sure of it's accuracy as the limited references for the FG1 and FGR2 rear cockpit that I have show the rear (radar controller) stick mounted on the right of the rear IP (in the same position as the one in the stock Hasegawa FG1/FGR2 cockpit). The Aires cockpit has it mounted centrally. If it is indeed in the wrong position 2 mins with a razor saw should fix it.

HTH,

Ian

Just finished a Hasegawa FGR-2 with BB FGR-2/F4-J set. First time doing a resin cockpit set and it wsa a bugger to get the fit right. Accuracy is excellent - everything appears to be in the right place when I access the walk-around pictures on the ARC forum.

I will use the wonderful F4-J ejector seats and possibly the RIO components with a future F4J (UK) build rather than investing in another new BB set.

BB detail is superb but once you've closed up the fuselage and put the canopies on, you really don't see much. With a Tornado or modern jets, you'll probably see more but I don't think the effort was worth it for my F4.

YB