East German MiG-21F-13 loadout

Hey guys,

I'm almost finished with my MiG-21 (still waiting for the quickboost intake to arrive on the mail), but I want to attach the pylons, since I'll be doing a NMF MiG.

Using this kit, which has no Air-to-Air missiles what would be a realistic loadout for an Air-to-Ground mission?

The kit has two rocket launchers, two bombs and what I think are two ECM pods. It also has a center line fuel tank.

TIA,

Ricardo

I'd use the rocket launchers for a A2G load, but AFAIK the Fins never used the early Fishbed for anything else than air to air, so that would limit you to the East German or Soviet marking options in the kit. However, any early model AIM-9B Sidewinder would make a good AA-2 Atoll AAM.

By the way, I think that what you describe as ECM pods are in fact inert AA-2 training rounds. So you could use those as well.

HTH,

Andre

Using this kit, which has no Air-to-Air missiles what would be a realistic loadout for an Air-to-Ground mission?

There's a feature here on MV. This model builder is an expert when it comes to East German gear - he worked on the real thing. In the article he says, that the FAB 500 bombs were "absolutely untypical" for the MiG-21 F-13. So, if you really want to do an a/c with air-to-ground armament, I would stick to the rocket pods.

Hi Ricardo, there is a book on Mig 2 F 13 in East German Airforce service ( DHS nr 8 ). You find a list / pictures of all possible weaponloads included - I could mail it to you .

Beside air air missiles ( R-3S / AA-2 Atoll ) they mention the following ground attack equipment: unguided rocket ejector UB -16 -57U ( both for air to air and air to groud use ) , unguided air to ground missile S-24 (ARS-240) and bombs FAB-50, -100 and -250. In the book you find at least two pictures with the UB -16, but no bombs. One picture documents a flight accident ( pilot retracted the landing gear to early ) and the launcher is installed. The book mentions that pictures with installed missiles are seldom up until the 80th because of censur. It´s probably the same with other weapons.

I am not an expert on this topic ! Hope it helps a little bit.

Stefan