Airbrushing Polly Scale acrylics

I use Polly Scale for about 80% of my work, with the balance being Gunze and the infrequent Tamiya. I've always thinned Poly Scale with a home mix of distilled water alcohol and a little Liquitex flow aid and been generally pleased with the results. For the other two I've always used Tamiya thinner. Well today I tried the Tamiya thinner with the Polly Scale and what a massive improvement. It lays much smoother, almost to a semi-gloss look. There was also zero tip clogging, which has always been a Polly Scale issue in my experience. Tamiya thinner all the way now on all of my acrylics, it's worth every penny.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Joe,

Interesting observation. My experience with Pollyscale acrylics ( Gloss and Matt clear coats/Reefer White) & Tamiya (Smoke and Clear Blue) is relatively new but I was impressed with both Pollyscale and Tamiya airbrush thinners. So I now have a choice - anyone know what's in these 2 thinners?

YB

Thanks for the tip Joe. How much thinner do you typically add? I have a project coming up that will be PollyScale NMF.

:)

Kevin,

It was about 60 % paint, 40 % thinner, sprayed at about 18 psi.

Yellowbelly: The Tamiya thnner definitely has a large amount of alcohol, but I'm convinced it also has some ingredients to retard drying a bit and to inhance flow.

I may just have to try that, Joe!

I've been very pleased with the results I've been getting latedly (thinning the PS with distilled water and a little Liquitex Flow Aid); but will definitely try an experiment with some Tamiya thinner and see how it goes!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

I use Polly Scale for about 80% of my work, with the balance being Gunze and the infrequent Tamiya. I've always thinned Poly Scale with a home mix of distilled water alcohol and a little Liquitex flow aid and been generally pleased with the results. For the other two I've always used Tamiya thinner. Well today I tried the Tamiya thinner with the Polly Scale and what a massive improvement. It lays much smoother, almost to a semi-gloss look. There was also zero tip clogging, which has always been a Polly Scale issue in my experience. Tamiya thinner all the way now on all of my acrylics, it's worth every penny.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

I tried this last night. . .thinned a couple brand new bottles of PS with only Tamiya X20 A Thinner. . .and

WOW!!!!! It's just beautiful. . .smooth as a baby's behind with no "dripping" or puddling. . .it also hand-brushes even better than before (and seems to cover better too. . .I was using some very light gray and yellow as well as white for my test bottles) I am happy as a puppy with two p****s! Thanks, Joe, for this great advice!

:blink:

Old Blind Dog

I've personally read/heard that Gunze-Sangyo thinner used with

Tamiya acrylics produces beauteous results as well.

Something about how well the G-S thinner reacts with the Tamiya acrylics

to help them level out very nicely.

I haven't tried this yet, but will give it a shot with my Hasegawa 1/48

F-16CJ Block 52 that's my current project.

Have to get some laquer thinner to do anything, so I'll pick some up tomorrow,

Nov. 24, and try to get some painting done while I have the time.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving (US folks).

Jim

So, has anyone tried to figure out what exactly is in these "thinners?"... :sunrevolves: ... as I'm willing to bet that there's one heck of a markup on them when they're probably normal household stuff we already have or can get!

On the Tamiya, I'm taking a guess here... but the odor reminds me of a combination of alcohol and Windex.

Anybody tried to dissect this stuff in their chemistry class? :D