SuperHornet Fligt Demo

Well, I was hoping to see a SuperHornet flight demo when the Blues came to Jax a few weeks ago, but NOOOO! The only fighter types that flew were Air Force. No legacy Hornet (except the Blues) and no SuperHornet. We didn't even have one on static display. But, obviously, as the Pensacola photos show, the plane is out there performing. So, for you airshow vets who have seen the Superhornet do its thing, how does it compare to the F-16, F-15, and F-14A+/B/D and legacy Hornet. Does it suck or do we have ourselves a pretty good, well rounded combat bird here?

Well, I'm gonna be honest with you, the Super Hornet demo could use a bit more flying near the crowd. The take off is pretty cool, it does a couple of passes (one that's close to breaking the sound barrier). It'll do some loops, and the square loop too. But IMO the coolest thing it does, I think called the "loaded roll", it's just plan weird when you see it. The demo is very loud, louder than the F-14/15/16 demos I have seen. I found a few videos from Youtube on the demo, these can probably give you a good idea on what the demo is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1WEeGmV-HI

HTH

:cheers:

Daniel

How does the aircraft's maneuvering performance stack up to the other teens? I have watched them all over the years, and IMHO the legacy hornet initially turns the tightest of any of them, although it bleeds energy quickly compared to a Viper or Eagle. I am just curious how this new breed of bug stacks up in a knife fight. I'll check out the video links, but I would like to hear the opinion of some folks have have seen the Superbug fly up close and can make a comparison.

I'll tell ya, it impressed the heck outta me. I've seen the F-15 and 16 demos plenty of times before and have always been a bit biased towards USAF birds, but the Super Hornet was incredible last Friday. It did some pretty incredible maneuvers.

As a helo driver, I was impressed as heck with the Sky Soldiers demo, but the Super Hornet was definitely the highlight of the show for me.

Jon

AT Nellis the demo was shorter also right?

they had some sorta problem with some instrument

No, because he pretty much did the same demo at Whiteman and McConnell.

Wanna see a good SH demo? Go see it at Oceana or Lemoore. Otherwise they stay too damn far away from the crowd to get any decent photos, and the demo is much shorter.

Edited by Skull Leader

I think the SH and even the 18 looks the most 'aggressive' because of the latest and greatest FBW control laws to prevent departures. You won't see the F-15 demo or even the recently retired F-14 be that aggressive those planes aren't exactly clean at high alphas. The F-16 looks aggressive when it is doing it transient maneuvers. But slower her down, she looks like a little putty kat.

With the faster FLCS and better control laws, you'll see more aggressive and safe maneuvers. But don't think for a second that these demos are showing the true potential of the aircraft because you're really kidding yourself.

In the future, I think the F22 will probably be the most aggressive and powerful demos. Watching that footage that was posted on the net several months ago just blows me away at times. Now, knowing someone that worked on the YF-23 program, I get some F22 ribbing from him.

I think the SH and even the 18 looks the most 'aggressive' because of the latest and greatest FBW control laws to prevent departures. You won't see the F-15 demo or even the recently retired F-14 be that aggressive those planes aren't exactly clean at high alphas. The F-16 looks aggressive when it is doing it transient maneuvers. But slower her down, she looks like a little putty kat.

With the faster FLCS and better control laws, you'll see more aggressive and safe maneuvers. But don't think for a second that these demos are showing the true potential of the aircraft because you're really kidding yourself.

In the future, I think the F22 will probably be the most aggressive and powerful demos. Watching that footage that was posted on the net several months ago just blows me away at times. Now, knowing someone that worked on the YF-23 program, I get some F22 ribbing from him.

Funny you should mention that. At the Nellis AFB show, on that sunday while we were waiting for all of the heritage flight stuff to come in, The Raptor was way out behind the crowd practicing his demo stuff for next year (and yes, he did the famous "cobra") very few people saw it I think... he was too far out to get any kind of photograph, but it was neat to see as a kind of precursor as to what next year will bring!

No, because he pretty much did the same demo at Whiteman and McConnell.

Wanna see a good SH demo? Go see it at Oceana or Lemoore. Otherwise they stay too damn far away from the crowd to get any decent photos, and the demo is much shorter.

Jeremy, you should see the demo at Spirit of St. Louis during the Labor Day weekend show, the flightline is really close to the crowdline there and makes for a nice close view ... Plus being the Boeing sponsered show, they like to give the folks that build em a good show also ... Some passes are mearly right overhead if you're at the front of the line ...

Gregg

I remember seeing the Super Hornet demo at Nellis in 2003. I was very impressed. It was all over the place with the turns very sharp and alpha was high. I also seen on the net the Super Hornet's Malaysian demo which it did pretty much the same, except it was flown by Boeing TP Ricardo Traven. I also remember reading that the Boeing demo and Navy demo are nearly identical. From what I'm reading here, the demo may have changed or modified a little, maybe even dependent on the location, and I don't remember it being so far away from the crowd when I saw it. I think the Navy has a fine overall airplane in the Super Hornet.

When the F/A-18E/F is in a clean configuration (nothing under the wings), it's turning ability is impressive. It bleeds energy, but is still able to point the nose around and the engines are noteworthy as well. It's engine performance was noteworthy as well.

The Superhornet can be the best demo out there out of all of the "teens." Last year up at Offutt AFB it amazed me, it was doing a demo that I hadn't seen out of it the few previous demos. I remember them saying the crew were instructors out of Leemore. Then to start off the show season back in March at Ft Smith, it was almost as good. But, like Jeremy mentioned Whiteman AFB demo, and the demo in St Joseph, MO were pretty lame compared to what I have seen it do in the past. So, maybe it depends on which crew is flying it, I don't know, but I have seen it both ways. A very impressive demo, the best at times.

Dave J

Having seen it some 12 times now, it is an impressive Demo. Still though, sometimes it seems a bit underpowered - especially compared to the Tomcat and Eagle. The F-16 seems to be much quicker, but probably because it is so small and clean.

In fact, I thought the Strike Eagle demo smoked the SuperHornet demo at Pensacola - both days. And that is coming from a Navy fan. But the Superhornet's maneuverability is very impressive. It does stuff in the air that make your jaw drop.

In short, a Tomcat pilot once said "It is like transitioning from a 69 Chevelle into a 2006 Accord."

That pretty much sums it up for me. :(

Oh, and the reason for the short Demo? No drop tanks! It just runs out of gas! :)

(forgive me Lord)

Edited by CRASCA

In comparison, the SH demo does NOT in anyway compare to the F-14 and F-15 demos I've seen.

The SH does have some cool moves, but lacks the feel of power.

The take off is about the only thing the SH has going for it as far as demos are concerned.

Well, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. As a disclaimer, as I said at the beginning of the post, I haven't actually SEEN a SH demo, but I did look at that video link up there at the beginning of the thread. Going on that and the many actual demos I have seen of the F-14/15/18/18, the SH seems to outclass them all in pure manuevering ability. Energy bleed is a different story and obviously, the Eagle and Viper have more to work with there. But I don't think either of them could turn inside even a legacy Hornet, much less a SH right after the initial merge when energy states are optimum. And the Tomcat? C'mon...as much as I love that plane, the A isn't even in the same league as a SH and the even though the F110 equipped model can sustain its maneuver energy, so far as I can tell it can't turn any tighter than an A. Of course, I am not in a position to know anything for sure. I'd like to see if manufacturer test data on degrees per second turn rate for these birds would bear out my impressions.

After hearing the SH get dogged out for the past five years by many Tomcat lovers, it is nice to see the it perform well and finally get some respect. It seems that the SH is not such a POS after all.

I saw the Super Hornet demo on NAS Oceana, and I really enjoyed it to the full. Awsome manuvering and we really got to see what it's all about.

I got some spectacular shots of the SuperHornet and a really nice and entertaining show.

I've seen the Super Hornet twice and its show is quite nice, very similar to the legacy Hornet. I've seen all the teens many times IMO what I have noticed is that demos are not as dynamic nor extreme in recent years as say in the 80's. My recollection has it that the teen birds were really flexed at air shows back in the 80's but today they have stunted the demos and as such are not quite the same. I remember back in the first few years Canada flew the CF-18, the demos were freaking awesome esp. not just a high alpha pass but a high alpha 360 degree circle within the confines of the air show space. But I guess to most casual air show fans they would not know the difference anyway. In 89 and 91 when Abbotsford had Soviet Mig 29 (89) and SU-27 (91) did those demo pilots ever turn up the heat and put on AMAZING shows.

I'd have to say that the SH demo is better than the F-15 and F-16 demos I've seen, but the F-14 demos, at least two years ago, were the best. The Strike Eagle demo is getting close to the SH, but still doesn't do it for me. It is all a matter of what you like. I love seeing any of them fly anyway, but if you get the chance, go see the Super Hornet!

Paul

Oh, and the reason for the short Demo? No drop tanks! It just runs out of gas! :blink:

So Craig ... Just how many Tomcat demos will you be seeing in 2007 again ? :thumbsup:

Do they still perform the " pirouette" during the Rhino show ?

Gregg

After hearing the SH get dogged out for the past five years by many Tomcat lovers, it is nice to see the it perform well and finally get some respect. It seems that the SH is not such a POS after all.

I don't think anybody seriously would consider the Super Hornet as a POS. I certainly wouldn't nor would underestimate it. I would say though (taking a risk here), I don't believe it's the world beater that I have heard it is.