Being a fanatic of the Ace Combat series for the playstation 2 I have come across many airplanes in the entire series I have played and as I was surfing for pictures of a B-52 on the tarmac being loaded up I found a picture of this airplane which I recognized from Ace Combat Zero.

This plane is the YF-23 Black Widow... My question is how long has this plane been used, is it still used somewhere?

I thought the Black Widow was just a random plane that the guys that made Ace Combat made up. Shows me wrong lol :cheers:

Any info on this plane would be awesome :D

What do you have against Google?

Everything...and for some reason google doesn't want to upload on my comp :cheers: actually I like google but it won't upload onto my page, and Google Earth Rocks

Edited by Darkclaw
And twenty years later...*SNAP* a new frontline fighter.

(not knockin' the plane...just the acquisition process)

Couldn't agree more. Judging from this one, I'd say the Raptor's replacement should be entering the prototype phase by 2015, with FSD flight testing starting in 2020, and the first squadron operational by no later than 2047. The test planes may well outlive their pilots' flying careers....

Couldn't agree more. Judging from this one, I'd say the Raptor's replacement should be entering the prototype phase by 2015, with FSD flight testing starting in 2020, and the first squadron operational by no later than 2047. The test planes may well outlive their pilots' flying careers....

If its almost 2007 right now that would only be 8 or 9 years in the future. They'd have to get started pretty soon and I dont think the pentagon will start throwing money for R&D to replace a fighter that just entered service, it numbers far from what was planned.

Blame the politicians for that one. It was fielded 10 years fter it was originally supposed to be operational.

Theres one thing I really dont understand. Why did it take so long to get the F22 in service? did politicians do it for budget reasons or what?

Edited by tomcatter727

I tell ya, as much as I like the Raptor, from what I have read the YF-23 seems like it might have been the better plane in some ways. It certainly looks more futuristic. That may have actually scared the Air Force off a little bit. There was some mention of concern about cost overuns. Lockheed has a pretty strong track record when it comes to building advanced technology aircraft, and they had just recently built the F-117. There may have also been some 'share the wealth for the good of the industrial base' politics going on. Northrop was ramping up the B-2 program about that time. This is all speculation, of course. It is also interesting to note that work on the Raptor program clearly put Lockheed in a postion to win the JSF contract.

Lockheed has a pretty strong track record when it comes to building advanced technology aircraft, and they had just recently built the F-117
Also, IIRC, they completed the F-117 contract ahead of time and below budget - heck of an incentive.

:(

Theres one thing I really dont understand. Why did it take so long to get the F22 in service? did politicians do it for budget reasons or what?

It had a lot to deal with politicians wanting to look like they're "saving money" on the program, complaining about how expensive each aircraft supposedly is (and factoring in development costs - money that has already been spent - in that per-unit cost) and cutting the funding to say "Look at me! I'm saving us money!" while they're actually driving the price of each aircraft up and drawing the production schedule out ridiculously. So, yeah, they did it for budget reasons but in the process busted the budget with their tactics. It's what happens when every weapon system has to be micromanaged by politicians instead of doing procurement the way it was during the cold war.

BTW - 'Claw: Any aircraft with a "Y" as the first character of its designation is always a prototype, often in a competition with other prototypes. The F-22 was the YF-22 during the flyoff against the YF-23. When an aircraft goes into production for actual use, the "Y" prefix is dropped.

Edited by BAM'n'IVM
It had a lot to deal with politicians wanting to look like they're "saving money" on the program, complaining about how expensive each aircraft supposedly is (and factoring in development costs - money that has already been spent - in that per-unit cost) and cutting the funding to say "Look at me! I'm saving us money!" while they're actually driving the price of each aircraft up and drawing the production schedule out ridiculously. So, yeah, they did it for budget reasons but in the process busted the budget with their tactics. It's what happens when every weapon system has to be micromanaged by politicians instead of doing procurement the way it was during the cold war.

It'll happen with the F-35 too. Didn't that happen with the B-2 as well?

From what I've read, what hurt the B-2 program was that Northrup was either told or promised they were getting the F-117 radar cross section (RCS) data and maybe some of the research that Lockheed had done regarding RCS.

This was before the bids were placed, so Northrup didn't factor in the cost of doing all the development work again, when in reality they had to AFTER the contract was awarded, putting them behind schedule and over budget.

The old adage/joke when it comes to military aircraft is that 75% +/- of the cost of the program is to get the first plane in the air and most of the bugs worked out, the rest of the aircraft for that order cost the final 25% or so.

Ken

Being a fanatic of the Ace Combat series for the playstation 2 I have come across many airplanes in the entire series I have played and as I was surfing for pictures of a B-52 on the tarmac being loaded up I found a picture of this airplane which I recognized from Ace Combat Zero.

This plane is the YF-23 Black Widow... My question is how long has this plane been used, is it still used somewhere?

I thought the Black Widow was just a random plane that the guys that made Ace Combat made up. Shows me wrong lol :rofl:

Any info on this plane would be awesome :rofl:

From reading your post, I am surprised that it seems you've never heard of or seen the YF-23 before at all before playing the Ace Combat series. :rofl:

Too bad no one does this plane in 1/48th. So all thats available is 1/72. Anyone one know who makes the best kit?

Neat looking plane with a lot of "what if" paint jobs possible.

I am wondering how she would look in the F2 colours..hmm.

Its development was chronically underfunded in the Clinton administration, and it has been a bit of a political football under the current administration.

Regards,

Murph

Very nice indeed.

Time to start a fund lol. I have your page bookmarked.

I was thinking that would look great painted up like one of thoise Macross models..overall white or grey with the skull and crossed bones.

Edited by Av8fan
Very nice indeed.

Time to start a fund lol. I have your page bookmarked.

I was thinking that would look great painted up like one of thoise Macross models..overall white or grey with the skull and crossed bones.

Navy markings? No, no, no...paint it up like the wing commander's bird for the 1st Fighter Wing, with the eagle's head on the insides of the stabs and the blue/yellow/red squadron stripes at the top edges.

Better yet...buy four of 'em (Zacto, I expect a commission on the sale if he does...) and paint 'em up in F-23 Thunderbirds markings. Or Skyblazers markings...that'd be sweet...

Navy markings? No, no, no...paint it up like the wing commander's bird for the 1st Fighter Wing, with the eagle's head on the insides of the stabs and the blue/yellow/red squadron stripes at the top edges.

Actually, Navy markings would be kinda cool. I think it likely that if the Navy had remained in the ATF program instead of bailing to try and build the A-12 (lets not even go there!), they would have evaluated the YF-23 as a more suitable design for carrier operations than the YF-22 and pushed for its selection. It seems the YF-23 would have a more forward center of lift, and that, combined with a shorter nose, would have made it easier to bring aboard the boat. The F-22 is VERY traditional land based Air Force looking.

I agree Navy markings would look cool, but IIRC, the production F-23 would have had a slightly longer fuselage than the YF-23 to accommodate a larger weapons bay. Looking at the design differences between the YF-22 vs. F-22 (due in part to changing requirements), the X-32 demo aircraft vs. Boeing's proposed design and the X-35 vs. F-35, the final design of the production F-23 is probably speculative at best (unless drawings of a production version have been released and I just haven't seen them). It's easy to predict where the wing fold would been but would the angle of the tail surfaces have presented a parking/storage problem?

The F-22 has turned out to be a fantastic fighter, but back in the 90s I was hoping the YF-23 would win. I just loved the look of the jet.

Collect-Aire does make a 1/48th YF-23. All resin. 200 plus smackers though.

Chappie