Chappie,

Oh boy..I am sure its a great kit but 200 is beyond my means at this time..

Anyhow, I think its a lovely looking plane with all kinds of posibilities regarding paint/decaling.

Edit- Jeff, I didnt see your response. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Av8fan
I think it likely that if the Navy had remained in the ATF program instead of bailing to try and build the A-12 (lets not even go there!), they would have evaluated the YF-23 as a more suitable design for carrier operations than the YF-22 and pushed for its selection. It seems the YF-23 would have a more forward center of lift, and that, combined with a shorter nose, would have made it easier to bring aboard the boat.

My understanding is one of the reasons why the YF-22 design was chosen (when the Navy was onboard for the NATF) was it was a lesser risk to modify and more adaptable for carrier-born operations than the YF-23 design.

The F-22 has turned out to be a fantastic fighter, but back in the 90s I was hoping the YF-23 would win. I just loved the look of the jet.

Yeah, I too was rooting for the YF-23 when the Air Force's ATF competition was going on back in 1990 simply for it looks, which is futuristic. I was disappointed when it lost out to the YF-22 which to me looked too conventional and nothing like an "Advanced Tactical Fighter". My understanding of the YF-22/F-22 has obviously increased since then and I'm now glad the F-22 Raptor is here and was chosen. I still do like the YF-23 though and always will. I believe it would have fulfilled a long range strike platform very well as it is widely know it was built for speed and stealth, which Northrop succeeded in doing in spades.