I'm a sick, sick, sick, sick man... 1/48 MiG-25RB

So I've lost my mind and started a second build while balancing lectures/trainers at work and my Revell F-14D build.

The plan at the moment is to build an Indian Mig-25RB, but I may change to some other R variant as my mind wanders.

Pretty simple to find the starting point. What's the most obvious error in the Revell Mig-25...the atrocious wings...so, I measured off some scale drawings and cut away the unneeded parts of the wings to decrease the chord. The measurements work out that if you just the wing at the very first raised panel line from the front you are almost spot on. The blue line shows roughly where the cut was done. For an R-variant the wings are also shorter, so I performed that chop too. The red line shows the spot where they were shortened.

wings.jpg

I also cut off the strakes since they need to be reshaped. The added bonus to removing them was to make it easier to rescribe the detail on top of the wing while they are gone.

These should be the only major changes I should make to meet up with measurements on the drawings. Everything else seems to scale out pretty well.

fullview.jpg

I taped up the fuselage to get an idea of the size of this bird and match it up to the drawings I have.

Major things I'll have to do are: create a cockpit, reform the nose with the cameras, rescribe all the panel lines...plus many more I'm sure I'll decide to do as I go.

Ah well, I'm started at least.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche
So I've lost my mind and started a second build while balancing lectures/trainers at work and my Revell F-14D build.

The plan at the moment is to build an Indian Mig-25RB, but I may change to some other R variant as my mind wanders.

Pretty simple to find the starting point. What's the most obvious error in the Revell Mig-25...the atrocious wings...so, I measured off some scale drawings and cut away the unneeded parts of the wings to decrease the chord. The measurements work out that if you just the wing at the very first raised panel line from the front you are almost spot on. The blue line shows roughly where the cut was done. For an R-variant the wings are also shorter, so I performed that chop too. The red line shows the spot where they were shortened.

wings.jpg

I also cut off the strakes since they need to be reshaped. The added bonus to removing them was to make it easier to rescribe the detail on top of the wing while they are gone.

These should be the only major changes I should make to meet up with measurements on the drawings. Everything else seems to scale out pretty well.

fullview.jpg

I taped up the fuselage to get an idea of the size of this bird and match it up to the drawings I have.

Major things I'll have to do are: create a cockpit, reform the nose with the cameras, rescribe all the panel lines...plus many more I'm sure I'll decide to do as I go.

Ah well, I'm started at least.

Cheers,

Dave

You won't believe this Dave...

I've always wanted to build this bird, but was discouraged after hearing that the correcting of the wings was no simple feat...at least I thought. I researched the internet, and I found several ways to correct the wings on this bird, none of wich I really undrstood. I was just thinking about asking the ARC pros for help, when I ran into your posting. Great work ma'an. I'm now pumped to get mine going.

I've got several of these kits, let me know if you need any spares.

later,

Ernie A.

All,

For the drawings, I used the ones on the airwar.ru site that OKB provided a link for in the above post. The drawings are great. Some of the Foxbat ones are big and broken down into manageable pieces. I used photoshop to merge them into one huge file, checked the measurements to references and then printed the pieces I needed. The unfortunate part is that the notes are in Russian. It is easy enough to pick off the variant designations with a Cyrillic alphabet, but I'm lost with everything else on it. Lines were all I wanted though.

The Revell Foxbat is good in its overall dimensions with the exception of the wing chord issue. If you want to do a P/PD/PDS then the wingspan is fine. If you want to do an R variant, you have to chop the span a little bit. Like I said in a previous post, cutting off everything forward of the first raised panel line on the upper wing is close enough to the correct chord for the wing. Die-hards will be more exact. I'll admit, I was more exact, but I won't call

I guess there is a 1/48 cockpit set from NeOmega that is available from Linden Hill, but since I'm a glutton for punishment, I was just gonna make my own. I intend to make an instrument panel from scratch and to probably make some resin copies of Mig-21 side consoles and fabricate the rest of the cockpit. The one thing I am lacking is a suitable set of references on the ejection seat (other than having some Mig-21 kit seats). Thats a hurdle I'll deal with a little later.

I will probably generate some improvements to the wheel wells and exhausts also. Oh, did I mention rescribing everything...

I'm considering trying to do the camera pallet in the nose in the lowered position, but I'm undecided.

For now I have to head back to base and learn something for my test in the AM.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche
....The Revell Foxbat is good in its overall dimensions with the exception of the wing chord issue....

Dave, you are not only sick :lol: but wrong too =) :thumbsup:

Revell Foxbat is about 1,5cm long and lots of other things need to be corrected to have an accurate model. I will personally wait for next year release of Trump's MiG-25RB

But you may have a look at my review (in Russian, use some web-translators) about the model

http://modelism.airforce.ru/reviews/ru/mig...ments/index.htm

Regards

Sergey

Sergey,

Thanks for your post. I'll get a longer look at your page when I get home from work. I ended up with around a 1/2cm error (IIRC) in fuselage length when I checked the taped together model versus the drawings I have. To me that falls into the good category for scale taking into account the size of the model and age of the kit. Not very good or great, mind you. There are many things that need to be fixed on the kitslightly that I didn't bother to expand on at the start. I will say from the glance at your site I'll need to recheck my position for the NLG. I think I have mine moving slightly farther than yours. I not looking at my notes so I'm not sure off the top of my head.

I agree the Trump kit should be a massive improvement, but I'm more interested in the challenge of an average/poor/mediocre/ok kit as it were in order to try to build up the skills. That's why I have a few more Revell Mig-25s and a Lindberg Mig-31, plus numerous other runts of the litter. I'm sure I'll get a Trump kit or two unless it is crazy expensive.

Thanks again for your post and I hope you and the other guys who have experience with the kit or Mig-25 itself will chime in to correct glaring errors.

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. where are your drawings in your post from?

Edited by parche

Hmmm...that set of drawings is the main one I used in my research. I wonder how we came to difference in length...were you looking at overall or just in the fuselage? Fuselage was my concern cause since the tailplanes need there own tweaking. I rechecked my movement on the NLG and mine looks to be the same as yours so we agree there and I assume we agree on the wing issues. I guess as I mod the nose for the cameras I can tweak the length there.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok, I went and unscrewed myself. That's what I get for writing a post at 5 something this morning before I went in for an exam. Sergey, I translated your page and compared our notes. My plan had actually been to hack the fuselage right behind the wings (moving them forward the amount that was cut off their leading edge) and take out about a 1/2 cm behind the original trailing edge since I figured it would be easier to hide flaws there. I'm gonna have to do some reconsidering after looking at the plans again and seeing your comments. I'll post some pictures of "the Plan" later today hopefully.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Well, after I worked on my Tomcat for a while, I started to pour over the plans for the Foxbat. After much measuring and re-measuring, I decided on my path for correcting the overall length problem. In the first picture, you can see the difference in the position of the engine exhausts (denoted by the yellow lines). If the cockpit, intakes and main landing gear wells are lined up with the drawings, the length error is near the rear of the fuselage. If the wings are moved forward the same distance as the decrease in chord that was done, the wings align properly with the fuselage and a section of relatively constant cross section becomes apparent that can be hacked out to drop the length of the kit.

sideview1.jpg

The red area is what is going to go away. The back end of the area to be removed runs along the panel line at the aft end of the original position of the wings.

sideview2.jpg

When the section pulled out , the remaining pieces should smooth back together fairly smoothly based on the near constant cross section in this area. In doing this I will have to shift the tail surfaces to the right spot, but this should be a minor inconvenience when I have to reshape the surfaces anyway. I chose to tear out this particular section because I think it will be simpler to smooth this relatively simple shape instead of trying to reshape and smooth the forward fuselage and both intakes independently and then trying to get them all to fit together. If there is an error, I think it can also be hidden more easily in this spot. Cutting here also minimizes the amount that the NLG needs to be moved.

I also continued work on the wings. Here you can see how I cut out part of the inside edges of the wing root.

wingdetail.jpg

This allowed me to bring the front edges of the wings together and minimize my sanding. I sanded for quite while and finished by adding some putty to the leading edges to make a smooth surface. Hopefully I’ll have nice smooth wings in a day or two after some more sanding.

I have started work on the IP for the cockpit, the wingtip “pods†and the flaps , but there is nothing picture-worthy yet.

Hmmm, maybe I’ll head back downstairs and do some more work…

Cheers,

Dave

nice solution Dave

as to the wings, I would cut the piece not from the leading edge. The wings have kind of double sweep angle..it differs from the external pylon a bit. So I would cut the wing somewhere in the middle, take out a piece "to go" and then glue cut halfs together. By doing this I will eliminate the work to be done on shaping the leading edge, plus I will safe a correct wing profile.

Sergey

Edited by Kasatka

Awesome set of pictures. Thanks for the link Sergey. Any chance you could tell me what it says on the port intake behind the Medal? The Medal is Hero of the Soviet Union right? I think I'm gonna wander down to my basement and get to work on hacking the fuselage to bits.

Sergey, interesting idea on the wings. I've already hacked the front ends and was dealing with the slight kink in the wings just in the shaping I am doing to the rebuilt front end. I may try your cut in the middle idea on the next one I do...I've got three other Mig-25s in the stash and will probably add a few more to it...

Cheers,

Dave

Awesome set of pictures. Thanks for the link Sergey. Any chance you could tell me what it says on the port intake behind the Medal? The Medal is Hero of the Soviet Union right? I think I'm gonna wander down to my basement and get to work on hacking the fuselage to bits.

Sergey, interesting idea on the wings. I've already hacked the front ends and was dealing with the slight kink in the wings just in the shaping I am doing to the rebuilt front end. I may try your cut in the middle idea on the next one I do...I've got three other Mig-25s in the stash and will probably add a few more to it...

Cheers,

Dave

Is it this one?

DSC01201.jpg

There is a medal of the HSU and the name of the hero Vladimir Nikolaenko =)

Is it this one?

DSC01201.jpg

There is a medal of the HSU and the name of the hero Vladimir Nikolaenko =)

Hmm :) Ãûë óâåðåí, ÷òî ðå÷ü øëà îá ýòîé http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/galerie/DSC01160.jpg ôîòî. Äèàëàï íå äàåò ïîñìîòðåòü âñå äî êîíöà :cheers: