I'm a sick, sick, sick, sick man... 1/48 MiG-25RB

I pulled the first set of casts out...I poured one NLG well, one engine, one set of MLG wells and, since there was a little extra resin left over I tried to pour another set of Tomcat bombracks.

MLG wells came out fine. As of now, with that pour, I have more MLG wells cast, than I have kits to put them in... :P

NLG well came out OK. There was a significant air bubble which is fixable. I check the mold and I guess there was an errant piece of loose rubber that was in the mold. It was removed and I tweaked the shape of the mold slightly.

The engine came out fairly well too. The new mold fixed all my issues with the old mold. The one problem with the new one is that I have already developed a slight tear in one of the part because I tried to take the mold pieces apart in the wrong order (they lock together in a particular order). No big deal, I'll just shove a straight pin into it. I did add a little more venting to the top of the engine to avoid some of the trapped air.

The bombracks came out like a**. I didn't have the mold set up when I finished pouring the first three so I had to pause and assemble it. As such I ended up pouring the resin in as it reached the end of its pot life (7 minutes) so it didn't fill the mold entirely. I ended up with 2 intact racks and four partials...kinda funny...not that I need more racks anyway...I only have 50 something of them now... I'll take a picture tomorrow and show how the resin flowed and stopped in the mold.

I just poured a new set of casts for the MLG wells (yep another set), the NLG well and the engine. I'll check them in an hour or so. Maybe I'll go get some more work done...

Cheers,

Dave

Brad,

I've been using the CR-600 resin from Micro Mark for everything so far. I've also used the 1-1 RTV from them, but I need to find a bulk supplier. The cost of the rubber is killing me since I've gone through alot of it and I have ideas for some rather large parts for other projects.

Words of wisdom. I'm in the same boat, so to speak, looking for bulk quantities of RTV (hopefully at bulk prices).

It's really easy to cast stuff. D Bellis and I got together last weekend and I showed him the ropes real quick. By Tuesday of last week he had some gorgeous Fw-190 wheel wells to use on his old Revell birds.

Yep, nothing to it really - once you see it done. Dave helped me big time with 'connecting the dots' from start to finish. I have a nice PDF file on casting model car wheels and such. But, Dave's methods shown here in this thread are far more functional for the oddly shaped parts we airplane modelers cast. I can't thank him enough for all the help (time AND materials) he's given me. Thanks Dave! :cheers:

He's off to casting wheels like a madman now.

:explode: Not yet. That is in the works, but I'll need a couple rainy days to get it to come together.

Can't wait to see your new parts!

D

Edited by D Bellis

Thanks for the comments D. I had a great time...can't wait to work on your P-47 cowl...

Ok, I owe some pics...

First the infamous old pot life resin in the bomb rack shot...

oldpotresin.jpg

Pretty interesting that they way the resin flowed as it was becoming more and more viscous. I did at least get good copies from the two closest to the pour stub.

Here's a shot of some of the mods for the forward fuselage. I removed the guide parts on the inside for the well. I added the thicker plastic piece in just slightly higher than where the original guide line was. This was to give a little more room for the replacement piece and to provide a more substantial lip for the well to transfer weight to the fuselage. You can also see the (fictional) bulkhead for the aft end of the camera bay. As you can see the mods are only complete on one side and stil have to be done on the other.

fwdfuse.jpg

As of 10pm EST here is a shot of all the MLG wells I have cast...

MLGwellstack.jpg

Yup there are 8 sitting there and one set you can see in the inverted fuselage section...nine done...I don't have that many Foxbats

At the same time, here is a shot of the new NLG wells and new engines done so far...

wellsandengines.jpg

4 NLG wells and 2 sets of engines...I have one old set of engines I can use...and I may use the old bad mold to make sets that I intend to put exhaust covers on.

There is a whole other set of pieces in the molds at the moment and I'll probably pour another set before bed.

Not much other progress of note...just casting crazy.

Cheers,

Dave

[ further back, dave , in the revell kit this surface is not clearly defined all is too preety rounded , not like the belly photos of the foxbat.a flat , gradually diminish in width surface.

excelent job , you ilustarte me to modifying my 1/144 , preety whell wells.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Foxbat2000, I hadn't really noticed a big issue with it. I'll do some more looking, but at this point I doubt I will do something about it.

So casting continues...and I managed to get some work done on the cockpit and instrument panel. Hopefully I'll get enough picture worthy stuff done tomorrow to be able to post something.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Just curious... Will you be selling those MLG bays, since you are produceing them almost like a serial production ????

If im not mistaken you are makeing also some bomb racks ( tomcat i think )

great build...

Just curious... Will you be selling those MLG bays, since you are produceing them almost like a serial production ????

If im not mistaken you are makeing also some bomb racks ( tomcat i think )

great build...

I have an absolute ton of the Tomcat Bombracks...if I have extra resin when I pour something else, I put the extra into the Bombrack mold so I keep making more and more...I've gotten better at measuring so it is less frequent, but I end up with one or two sets of racks each time I use a new mold for the first time.

As for the wheel wells, I have had a number of people ask about them. I guess I am willing to provide sets, but I'm somewhat uncomfortable with it because these are "garage" kits...I don't use a vacuum system or anything. It's all gravity and mold design. I get the occasional small bubble in a detail piece, but overall things seem decent. Maybe I'll post some pics of the wells and get an idea of the interest.

Cheers,

Dave

Alrighty...here's some of the progress from the weekend. I have poured a couple more items. I worked on the cockpit a bit (sorry for the so-so pics...hard to get a good shot of the detail in the cockpit, I need to finish it and cast one and paint it)...

pit1.jpg

You can see the angled sides of the IP that were built up this weekend.

pit3.jpg

You can see the base of the throttle quadrant and some detail on the left side panel.

pit2.jpg

Looking across you can see the tangle of rods sticking up on the aft end of the right side panel...that is a series of fuses that are positioned there. I still have to cut them down to height and sand them down...just thought you might get a kick out of the in-progress jungle back there.

I also started doing some of the fictional detail in the camera well...

camerawell.jpg

Not much to it...just some stringers for visual appeal I guess so that it isn't a blank wall.

I got derailed from the Foxbat to build this for my wife...

thing.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is? It's pretty random, but there is actually a calculation that goes into the sizing of it for the particular job it does.

If someone can tell me what it is (actual name) and what its function is...I'll give you a set of the Foxbat wheel wells (you pay the postage). I'll give a hint at 2100 EST tomorrow if noone has figured it out...please don't PM (box is nearly full tracking a bunch of trades), just post here.

Cheers,

Dave

(Ed. 600th post)

Edited by parche
I was waiting for the cockpit, BTW are you going to open the canopy?

I'm working on it. I hope to make the mold and cast it by the end of the weekend. I think I will have the canopy open on this one since I will have the camera bay partially lowered. I will probably make a boarding ladder for it too.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok, here's a hint to the question...

My wife was "dyeing" for me to make this for her so I had to "measure" it very carefully...

Cheers,

Dave

(ed. to add dimensions)

BTW the center section is 15 inches long and each end is about 12 inches to give sense of size. All sections are orthogonal to one another.

Edited by parche
Ok, here's a hint to the question...

My wife was "dyeing" for me to make this for her so I had to "measure" it very carefully...

Cheers,

Dave

(ed. to add dimensions)

BTW the center section is 15 inches long and each end is about 12 inches to give sense of size. All sections are orthogonal to one another.

it's an easel for painting!

Since you mentioned 'dyeing' and 'measure'. I think it has something to with measuring out or holding fabric/thread/etc stuff.

LOL :rofl:

Anyways...

Someone's getting warm...got a name for it?

Cheers,

Dave

LOL seriously? :blink:

Hmm...let me think.

Question: Is it something really really weird? or would it be a word that all of us have seen and we just can't place it with this 'thing'?

Ehh i'll get back to it tomorrow...back to studying for chem :rofl:

Edited by AnthonyWan

Okay, I think it is some modern day relative of this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cotton_...ng_in_India.jpg

I think its something u tie the cloth to at one end, twist it all around, then pour water on it all, and twist again on the other side to get all the water out.

Now...for that name :rofl:

Edited by AnthonyWan