Chicago and surrounding area

Try Venture Hobbies in the Wheeling/Buffalo Grove area. IIRC they are on the north side of Rte 68/Dundee Rd, in a strip mall.

Use to go there quite a bit many moons ago. The owner's name is Don, real nice fellow. They have a large selection of EVERYTHING (plastics/RC/trains/etc).

hth

Jeff

This is my first post, glad to finally be able to take part in forums.

Venture Hobby in Wheeling,Il is a great place for models, selection is HUGE and includes many OOP. Decal selection is good, aftermarket is limited, but usually some are on sale, IMHO.

I would also plan a stop at:

Al's Hobby Shop

119 Addison Ave.

Elmhurst, Il 60126

It's been my favorite place for almost 20 years. Model selection is limited to newer releases, but the aftermarket selection is extensive with lots of older stuff on sale. The staff in plastics, Kathy, Carol & Steve, they have always proven to me to be the best in the business. When I go I'm usually ther forat least 2 hrs going through all the bins.

I'll be ther this weekend too.

P-40BAVG

VENTURE HOBBIES!!!!!!

I call your punch card :blink:

I love that place. I go there often. They have a lot of stuff. Keep your eyes open and you could find plastic gold! I have found some nice kits for cheap in there.

http://www.venturehobbies.com/index.html

you could always call for directions...A lot of people do that.

BTW, wheeling/BG is in the Northwest suburbs of chicago.

I have been to Al's a couple of times. It is nice, but living in Arlington Heights, it is much faster to go to venture. 20 minutes versus an hour.

edit: I have no affiliation with venture hobbies or al's hobby shop.

Happy Hunting,

Austin

Edited by arkhunter2002
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

If You are in Orland There is a shop called Hobby Warehouse. On 111th and Southwest Highway. This is about a 15 minute drive from Orland. Take La Grange Rd. (Rt.45) North to 131st st. Turn right and go a short way to Southwest Highway. Turn Left. Now just go about 5 or so miles to the corner of 111th st. It is on the left. be prepared. The shop has always looked like a bomb went off inside. Ed is the owners name. He has a very good selection of plastic Planes tanks cars etc. Good prices too. No aftermarket really and paint selection is kind of so so. I was there last weekend for the first time in about a year. He expanded into the empty stor next door and it is quite roomy now. Still a mess though. Ed told me he was closing that location in a couple of weeks and does not know where he is moving yet. No mention of a closing sale but he has moved from two other locations I know of over the last 25 years. Here is a link with store info. Plug it into your GPS if you have one.

http://www.edshobbyshop.com/#site

Also up the road on La Grange Rd. about 12 or so miles in downtown La Grange, is La Grange Hobbies. They have been there for decades but cut the store size down by half several years ago. They have a good selection of plastic with prices being at or close to full retail.

Also in Orland on 94th? (it is the street (behind the Mall and Target) that runs parallel to La Grange. There is a Hobbytown USA in a strip across from the Target.

I been in there twice and both times the guy working the counter couldn't acknowledge my presence. They are full retail with a so so selection of plastics.

Happy hunting

Max Bryant