Mosquito, Mosquito...

Just wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of some clearer pics (or diagrams) regarding the pics below:

Mosquito FB XVIII Molins

Cannot quite make out what the arrowed thing is, obviously the 57mm Cannon is in the nose underside, the cannon bulge behind it to cover the gun mechanism, and is the arrowed section possibly the shell ejection chute?? or something of that nature?? Cannot find any clear shots of this area.

fbxvlll.jpg

Mosquito NF XV

Apparently the item arrowed on the side of the fuselage, below the wing, is an intake of some kind. Again, are there any clear shots of this anywhere??

nfxv.jpg

Ta for any help.

;)

According to the Aero Detail 23, there was a flat, oblong, fairing, just where you've indicated, which covered the cannon mount. The empties came out of a > shaped hole just aft of that fairing. The book doesn't show that fitting, on the XV, though, unfortunately. If you'd like a scan, let me know; I know that the Aero Detail books aren't easy to find, any more.

Edgar

Hi Neil

The fairing on the NF XV is the petrol cooler. I have seen several fitted to Mosquitos and virtually all the NZ based ones that had them fitted. They all had their front face covered over with a streamlined cover.

John Smiths FB VI (NZ2336)here in New Zealand is in original unrestored condition and has it still fitted. I am pretty sure I have some close up photos on my hard drive somewhere.

Many overhauled Mossies had them fitted and also many single stage merlin variants had longer and deeper carb intakes which had a tropical filter/cartridge installed.

I get nervous posting stuff like this because there are many experts out there, but this is what I have found out over the years. Unfortunately these items are often overlooked on models and books for that matter.

I talked to the guys at Avspecs (building a flying Mossie for Jerry Yeagen)a few months ago when I was up there on business and they have the holes drilled out for the cooler but dont think they will fit it and have fabriced over the holes as was often done anyway.

Hope this helps

Anthony

According to the Aero Detail 23, there was a flat, oblong, fairing, just where you've indicated, which covered the cannon mount. The empties came out of a > shaped hole just aft of that fairing. The book doesn't show that fitting, on the XV, though, unfortunately. If you'd like a scan, let me know; I know that the Aero Detail books aren't easy to find, any more.

Edgar

Cheers Edgar, that could be VERY handy!! Finding info on the more esoteric versions of the Mosquito can be a bit of a pain at times ! :pray:

Hi Neil

The fairing on the NF XV is the petrol cooler. I have seen several fitted to Mosquitos and virtually all the NZ based ones that had them fitted. They all had their front face covered over with a streamlined cover.

John Smiths FB VI (NZ2336)here in New Zealand is in original unrestored condition and has it still fitted. I am pretty sure I have some close up photos on my hard drive somewhere.

Many overhauled Mossies had them fitted and also many single stage merlin variants had longer and deeper carb intakes which had a tropical filter/cartridge installed.

I get nervous posting stuff like this because there are many experts out there, but this is what I have found out over the years. Unfortunately these items are often overlooked on models and books for that matter.

I talked to the guys at Avspecs (building a flying Mossie for Jerry Yeagen)a few months ago when I was up there on business and they have the holes drilled out for the cooler but dont think they will fit it and have fabriced over the holes as was often done anyway.

Hope this helps

Anthony

Ah!! Right oh ! I did a quick Google search with your suggestion in mind and came up with the pic below, not sure which Mosquito variant it is, but it appears to be fitted with a bulged bomb bay. That could well be the 'thing' I am looking for. Thanks for the input Anthony, nice one my good man ! ;)

prttcooler.jpg

Thanks for the info chaps. (Now I just need to find some decent pics of the bomb bay fairings fitted to the 'Highball' Mosquito .... :D )

:D

Hmm , this all sounds very intresting Neil ;) , here's me , just had an old Revelle 32nd Mossie delivered, and now you're dropping the odd hint ... :pray:

Is there any chance of the older Mossie sets being re-released - having just finished the excellent "A Seperate Little War" -about the Banff and Dallachy Strike wings - the idea of building both a FBVI and Tetse mossies sounds very tempting !

Hmm , this all sounds very intresting Neil :pray: , here's me , just had an old Revelle 32nd Mossie delivered, and now you're dropping the odd hint ... :D

Is there any chance of the older Mossie sets being re-released - having just finished the excellent "A Seperate Little War" -about the Banff and Dallachy Strike wings - the idea of building both a FBVI and Tetse mossies sounds very tempting !

The Mosquito stuff will be reissued, at the moment I am now remaking the masters for all the 1/72 and 1/48

sets which originally were for the Airfix kits, however in future they will be intended for the 1/72 and 1/48 Tamiya kits instead. (There are some of the original sets still kicking around in boxes here tho!).

Thinking of reissuing the 1/32 stuff also, if you need any of those sets let me know what you need and I will see if I can find any of them. I am sure there are a handfull of those sets around here too. (Somewhere!).

:pray:

The Mosquito stuff will be reissued, at the moment I am now remaking the masters for all the 1/72 and 1/48

sets which originally were for the Airfix kits, however in future they will be intended for the 1/72 and 1/48 Tamiya kits instead. (There are some of the original sets still kicking around in boxes here tho!).

Thinking of reissuing the 1/32 stuff also, if you need any of those sets let me know what you need and I will see if I can find any of them. I am sure there are a handfull of those sets around here too. (Somewhere!).

Hi Neil. Off topic for one; ordered Marseille decs just in time to see Marseille version of Hasegawa 109F advertised............. :cheers:

Hi Neil. Off topic for one; ordered Marseille decs just in time to see Marseille version of Hasegawa 109F advertised............. :cheers:

Sods Law isn't it ? !! :D (Your books are coming in handy by the way).

You did that great FB.VI conversion in 32nd which included a new interior..........any chance of doing an interior set for the bomber nosed versions?.

I've got all your stuff to do a PR.XVI, but i got nuthin for the insides.

Always intended to do the bomber interior but never got round to it. One day, one day ....

B)

Neil, when you get round to doing the twin stage Merlins in 72nd, would there be any chance of them coming complete with the rear of the nacelle, so they'd be a straight sway for the kit engines?

As for the petrol cooler pic, I suspect it's a TT35 repainted as a B35, specifically the one at the Mosquito Museum (TA634). The hatch at the back is for the drogues (I think). As for why I think it's the one at Salisbury Hall, the underside has no stripes and the truck in the background looks relatively modern (late 60s?).

Hi Neil,

I've sent you a PM re-info on the Mossie.

You mention still having some of the old sets for the Airfix Mossie, will these be available?? As I'm after a prototype set and the NFXV set for a couple of Airfix kits that I have put to one side.

Bob A.

B)

As for the petrol cooler pic, I suspect it's a TT35 repainted as a B35, specifically the one at the Mosquito Museum (TA634).

I think you could be right on that. :thumbsup:

You mention still having some of the old sets for the Airfix Mossie, will these be available?? As I'm after a prototype set and the NFXV set for a couple of Airfix kits that I have put to one side.

Bob A.

:banana:

There are some of the old sets kicking around, but when they have gone that will be it in regards to the sets fitting the Airfix kit because all of the sets are being altered to fit the Tamiya kits instead.

There is definately an NF XV or two here, I will have to check on the Prototype though.

B)

Hi Neil.

There was a book put out by Crown Publishing back in the 80's authored by Bill Sweetman and drawings by Rikyu Watanabe. In it, is a head on view, on the ground of a FB.XVIII. I can do a scan of the picture if you like. You might be able to get a better look at it.

Wayne Beattie

Hi Neil.

There was a book put out by Crown Publishing back in the 80's authored by Bill Sweetman and drawings by Rikyu Watanabe. In it, is a head on view, on the ground of a FB.XVIII. I can do a scan of the picture if you like. You might be able to get a better look at it.

Wayne Beattie

I think I know the pic you mean, though I now have a few reference books already with head on shots of the FB XVIII, so probably wouldn't need that pic from that book you have. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated :cheers: .

Clear underside shots of the fuselage are hard to find though!

Now trying to find as much info on the 'Highball' Mosquito's as I can, and found this little clip of the testing of this weapon. Clever stuff.

http://www.1001crash.com/telechvideo.php?v...&nonjava=ok

Edit: and anothers....

B)

Edited by Neil
Neil,

There was an article in Airfix Magazine Annual many moons ago that showed how to convert the Airfix mossie into a "highball" version.

If you'd like a scan, let me know.

Klyve

Could be handy, Klyve ! B)

B)

Looking forward to seeing the new version, given that I just finished my own 618 Sqn machine recently using your conversion with the Tamiya kit. Apart from a bit of filler, the original seemed to fit fine.

Incidentally, why did you give the engines to convert the Matchbox BIX rather than your own BIV front end to fit the Airfix FB6 in the original kit? This isn't a criticism, more simple curiosity on my part. It just seemed a long way round the houses given that the Airfix kit had a higher level of detail.

Incidentally, why did you give the engines to convert the Matchbox BIX rather than your own BIV front end to fit the Airfix FB6 in the original kit?

The original Highball was issued about 10 or 11yrs ago (?), the BIV front end for the Airfix kit was not released until maybe 2 or 3 years after that if I remember correctly.

Neil,

Sacns on their way.

Klyve

Cheers Klyve, got em! :)

I'm still digging around for various Mosquito info and came across this little clip of the FB VI which is sadly no longer around.

Turn the volume up. Just how good do those Merlins sound? A truly evocative noise if ever there was one.

Great little clip of one of the most elegant aeroplanes ever to fly. For my money the Mosquito is equally classy as the Spitfire.

Delightful. ;)

B)

I'm still digging around for various Mosquito info and came across this little clip of the FB VI which is sadly no longer around.

Turn the volume up. Just how good do those Merlins sound? A truly evocative noise if ever there was one.

Great little clip of one of the most elegant aeroplanes ever to fly. For my money the Mosquito is equally classy as the Spitfire.

Delightful. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Asolutely fantastic. I really miss the sight and sound of this beautifull aircraft from the airshows.

• 1 month later...

Managed to cast a few test sets of the 25 or so Mosquito sets that will be released soon, so far so good. Here's a small sample of just a handfull:

1/48 FB XVIII 57mm 'Molins' (Tamiya FB VI)

With new nose sections with external armour plate, apparently the fuselage sides below the cockpit also had armour plate added (thanks for the pics Edgar!) it may be simpler just to scribe those on the fuselage sides, if I included new fuselage sides with the plates added it would also mean having to include another cockpit interior and I am not sure if I want to go down that route.

Also included are the reinforced inboard flap sections, apparently the blast from the 57mm gun did not do them any good.... :beer4: . Have also decided to include the correct fighter canopy with the 'bulged' section which was on the right hand side of the canopy only (I dont actually have the canopies in my posession at the moment, the canopy blank for the mould is shown in the pic). Come to think of it, it may be worth issuing that particular canopy as a separate item, because alot of export/overseas users of FB Mosquito's were fitted with that style of canopy.

48041FBXVIII.jpg

1/48 NF XV (Tamiya B Mk IV)

This time around I have included the gunsight, fighter style control column, separate exhausts etc, etc...

48071NFXV.jpg

1/48 Twin-Highball (Tamiya B Mk IV)

This time there are options for one of two variants of this aircraft which can be made. Can be built either as the type which was based in Scotland for trials of the Highball bouncing bombs (which retained the standard 3-blade props) or can be built as the type when they were shipped out to Australia and based at Narromine which were fitted with 4-blade props and arrestor hooks. (Not shown in the pic is the bomb sight for the aiming of the Highball's, I am still making those!).

48076TwinHighball.jpg

B)