B-52D Vietnam camo

Blah..I am in the process of painting my Tamiya B-52D in the scheme for the B-52D Lavender Panther with Vietnam camoflague and I am trying to paint it in the exact way that they show it on the instructions, but its quite difficult. This is my first plane I painted in a camoflague scheme.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to paint this camoflague good? Its a B-52D in Vietnam camo, which is only the top part of the model.

The undersides of the model is semi gloss black, and the top is SEA camo. I need help...

:thumbsup:

I had postd this in a previous thread of yours:

52.jpg

"Lavender Panther" was painted as that shown in the picture above (obviously without the sharks mouth and with different serial numbers ;) ). You can see the FS (Federal Standard) numbers for the three top-side colors and the lower semi-gloss black on the right of the picture and they match the color shades on the B-52 in the plans to the left of said FS color call outs. Follow the plans and you are good to go.

HTH

Regards,

Don

So where was the panther stationed? The shark mouth was stationed with the 43rd bomg wing at Guam and as far as I know is still displayed on pylons there.

I think that it is B-52D serial #55-0100 that is displayed at Anderson AFB Guam. She flew over 5000 combat hours :D ! The sharks mouth B-52 was serial 55-0677, often wrongly given the serial number 56-0677 (which crashed in SEA in July 1972). Also, she was not the only B-52D to carry a sharks mouth. I believe that -0677 was last with the Yankee Air Museum in MI somewhere, but I heard wispers that she was sold?

The 'Panther' was based out of Fairchild AFB with the 325th BS in 1970 but only wore the nose art for the 1970 GIANT VOICE bombing competition and then had it removed.

HTH

Regards,

Don

If that's true about the display bird at Anderson, It wouldn't surprise me, if what I saw at Kadena is an indication many of the ships on display are being worked on by people who don't care too much about accuracy. They're told to get the displays out there put a certain paint job and wing and unit markings on.

At Little Rock they put a C-119 on display next to a B-47 that was on display. The 119 was made available from a group that were pasing through on their way to Davis Monthan's bone yard. This one blew an engine and was on the transit ramp for some time before having its wings removed and being moved someplace else to be worked on. Eventually they towed it to the display area and attached the wings. he only painting they did was to put on markings for the 314th Troop Carrier Wing. The paint scheme stayed the same but should have been changed to what it was like then.

• 11 years later...

As a LtCol, USAF(Retired) with combat experience as a B-52D Navigator with Arc Light, Bullet Shot and Linebacker missions from 1971-1973 over North and South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, what I can remember from over 45 years ago is that the camo scheme on the bird was not quite a flat black but more of a shinny black, but not gloss. Of course, at the time I wasn't paying much attention to color schemes. While I didn't see much of the topside since my position was the deck below the pilots and the EW. But my impression is that the topside camo was very dark green, dark tan and a slightly lighter green scheme, maybe forest green. Most of the aircraft were in need of repainting but with the ops tempo at the time it was secondary. If there is anything else I can recall, I will relate it.

I flew B-52Ds with the 43rd and 307th Strat Wings. I do not recall flying any birds with shark mouth nose art or any nose art for that matter. As a matter of fact, no planes had any distinction of missions flown either. My crew flew with many different planes, hardly the same one. Col. McCarthy may have had one with the shark mouth on it when he flew the first B-52 strike over Hanoi when he was awarded the Air Force Cross.

Understand that the B-52 camouflage at that time was NOT the same as the "SEA" (South East Asia) scheme. Even "SEA" is a misnomer: Tactical Air Command called this camouflage the "tactical" scheme. SAC, however, had its own set of colors. You may have trouble finding these colors, but the correct topside colors on B-52s used over VN were green FS 34159, tan 34201, and green 34079. This last green color is also used in the TAC tactical schemes. Check my article in the Feb. 2018 FineScale Modeler.