Hello everyone,

At last I have some time to get started on my Skyhawk GB project.

Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E from VA-55 on board U.S.S. Hancock (CVA-19) 1972 Yankee Station

This build is special to me because my father was the aviation supply officer during this cruise.

This was his third and final cruise on board the Hancock. As a child I remember watching at the docks in Alameda, waiting for the Hancock and my father to return. He always had a model or two for me in his sea bag.

This started a life long passion. My father passed a few years ago. My greatest pleasure was to build models for him of aircraft that flew off the Hancock during her life. My old Monogram A-4E from VA-55 is getting tired. It's time to replace her.

This one is dedicated to my father, CDR. F.S. Barnes U.S.N

Thanks Dad!

The Kit

A_4E_VA55.jpg

Cockpit

A_4E_VA55-1.jpg

A_4E_VA55-2.jpg

A_4E_VA55-3.jpg

Nose gear well

A_4E_VA55-4.jpg

A_4E_VA55-5.jpg

Edited by Rampage55

Progress update:

Major assembly is complete. This kit is a dream to put together. This is my second Hase. 1/48 Skyhawk and I most certainly will be building several more.

I recently discovered Mr Surfacer and Mr Dissolved Putty, Thanks to ARC members. This stuff is great.

All those years of dealing with that white stuff. ARRRGH! :rolleyes: I'll never go back.

I applied a small amount into several seams and about 40 minutes later, with a cotton swab dipped in lacquer thinner I wiped away the excess. Amazing stuff. I'm pleased with the results.

A_4E_VA55-7.jpg

A_4E_VA55-6.jpg

Thanks for taking a look,

Mark

• 1 month later...

I've managed to finely make some progress on my Skyhawk, I got on a bit of a roll this week.

I'm hoping to complete this by deadline, however we are moving into a new house this weekend and my work bench is getting packed up for a little while.

Well this is what I've got so far.

A_4E_VA55-8.jpg

A_4E_VA55-9.jpg

Thanks,

Mark