BSG Raptor Build

Okay, so a few of you will probably remember my 1/24 studio scale Cylon Raider from last year...well, this year for Christmas, I'm building up the new BSG Raptor for my brother's gift.

I figured I'd post pics of the kit and the build as I go, for those interested.

To start things out, here's a quick layout of the "big" pieces. There are A LOT of smaller, fiddly parts not in this photo:

P1010002.jpg

Next up, here's a relative closeup shot of the Helo and Boomer figures. Lots of flash, cleanup required here:

P1010003.jpg

Here's a closeup shot of the main hull and wing detail:

P1010004.jpg

Closeup of the engine "rounds" stacks. These cylinders will be joined to form the main engine "tubes". The kit includes plain, smoother details that match the show mockups, or more intricately detailed surfaces as found on some of the CGI models. I'll be using the ones with increased surface detail:

P1010006.jpg

And lastly, the large, blistered forward canopy/windscreen. The framing is separate resin, the bubble itself is vacformed. The distortions on the side are from flash on the framing, not issues with the vacform.

P1010005.jpg

LOTS of resin...lots of cleanup. HEAVY. I'll also be adding lights, so I'll have to router out channels for the wiring leading to LEDS for the position lights, and figure out a way to run an inverter pack into the model for the EL sheet I'll be using to light the consoles. The consoles themselves are molded in clear resin to facilitate this setup:

P1010007.jpg

Should be fun! Tonight's goal: finish the circuit for the position lights, and sand down major surfaces to start checking wiring lengths and figuring out the routing.

Cheers,

I love it Waco....darn fine looking kit and a Boomer figure to boot.....a steal at any price. I'll have to order one myself. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. For me....BSG is the only show I'll bother recording so I don't miss it.

Where can I order one and how much?

Steve B

Edited by SBARC
BTW, nice stack of blue Kool-Aid in the back ground

Yeeeeaaaah. Thanks for noticing SpongeBob....I'm about halfway done with ACSC. This is my study break, so that I don't feel the need to gouge my eyes out.

I love it Waco....darn fine looking kit and a Boomer figure to boot.....a steal at any price. I'll have to order one myself. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. For me....BSG is the only show I'll bother recording so I don't miss it.

Where can I order one and how much?

Unfortunately, I don't know if the maker is casting any new kits. I put mine on reserve over a YEAR ago, and put down an initial payment to "hold" the kit. I found this (and many other really neat stuff) on the Studio Scale Modeling forum. I'll add a link to this message later tonight.

As far as cost....well....A LOT. More than I would normally care to spend, but it was split with my brother, and its kind of a one off project.

Cheers,

Waco

I have one in my pile as well....and yes I am not sure if the caster will make any more.Its defintely a one off....

Final out the door price was in the $250 range...

:banana:

Strewth!

WAY out of my price range....

But at least I can see one built!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Strewth!

WAY out of my price range....

Yeah, and the funny thing is, its way out of my range too. Apparently ITs make way more money than fighter pilots. Go figure.

At any rate, I'm sitting here with a stack of LEDs, a clocking chip, 2 spools of wire, and a wire wrap trying to get the circuit built. I do believe I've found something I enjoy LESS than seam filling and sanding....

$250 is expensive.....but considering the quality of the kit and the size of the resin parts......$250 is a price I'd willingly pay.....but then I love this show.

Anyone got any contact info I can follow up on? Or one of these kits they'd be interested in selling?

Steve B

Steve-

Here's the original thread over on Replica Prop's Studio Scale Forum. This is where I got my contact info. Mind you, its a long thread (not Moai Vincent thread sized, but 11 pages or so). It details his creation of the Masters through one pic of a completed model built up.

RPF 1/24 Battlestar Galactica Raptor

Also, here's a link to another guy's buildup, with lights. He's a bit further along than I am, since my circuit isn't completed yet:

Jestefarean's Studio Scale BSG Raptor build

BTW, nice stack of blue Kool-Aid in the back ground :cheers:

One of the CD's from my ACSC course has become a useful coaster for my coffee mug at work. Who says PME has no value?

Regards,

Murph

Steve-

Here's the original thread over on Replica Prop's Studio Scale Forum. This is where I got my contact info. Mind you, its a long thread (not Moai Vincent thread sized, but 11 pages or so). It details his creation of the Masters through one pic of a completed model built up.

RPF 1/24 Battlestar Galactica Raptor

Also, here's a link to another guy's buildup, with lights. He's a bit further along than I am, since my circuit isn't completed yet:

Jestefarean's Studio Scale BSG Raptor build

Thanks for the info Waco.....I checked out the thread......I give the guy plenty of credit.....amazing.

Steve B'

Well, last night's project was to core out the aft sections of the engine stacks (they're solid resin) so that I could install a set of LEDs into them and generate a "pulsing" engine effect.

To sum up: HOLY CRAP!!!! I think this is the hardest cast resin I've ever seen!!! It took me over 2 hours to core just ONE of the engine rounds, which is only an inch and half deep. I also thrashed two grinding bits for my rotary tool, and kept having to put the tool down it was getting so HOT!

After that experience, I started trying to sand down some of the main pieces to see how difficult that would be. To make a long story short, very coarse sanding materials (sticks, film) will be required, or I may just use the rotary to grind the stuff off (probably faster). It is VERY hard to sand....and it creates tons of resin dust. I had to swap out the filters on my respirator, and the dust cload is ridiculous.

Nice that the material is that durable...VERY difficult to work with.

I also completed the first circuit of the LEDs...pics to follow later of the progress.

I wonder if a drill press with a big drill bit might work better for drilling out the engines if the resin is that hard?

I've contacted Jesse about buying one if and when he does another production run. I've also been looking at some of the Viper kits currenting available. Do you have any opinions on which ones might be better for the Vipers? I've noticed there seems to be more than one company doing these.

The Mark 2 seems to be the best looking Viper due to it's sleeker styling over the Mk1 and the Mk2's more eye catching paint scheme as compared to the low viz MK7 paint scheme.

If I was to pick just one Viper it would have to be the Mk2......but I've noticed there's also a MK2a....which has left me totally confused.

Steve B

Steve-

Not too sure about Viper kit availabilities....that's another one that is out in the wind somewhere on my list. I know that the ORIGINAL casting of the Viper Mk2 is no longer available. It was the "Starbuck" version, without landing gear, etc. Very nice, but I know they sold the last one a while ago. The list for the Mk2a reservations has been around for a while, I would write directly to the maker for that.

Its tough to keep all these limited run resin studio kits straight. Most of them are one man operations, and lead times from order until you get a kit are VERY long. Also, the kits are in WAY higher demand than the maker can support, hence the high prices and limited availability. Also, the molds just flat don't last through high volume casting.

Steve, drop me a line, and I'll forward you some contact e-mails about different kits.

Cheers,

Waco

E-mail inbound.

BTW....studio scale is 1/24 as far as I can tell on these resin kits.....do you know the scale of the Revell Monogram Viper Mk1 kit from the early '80''s? It looks like it could be something around 1/20 or 1/24 in scale. Hard to guess without a cockpit. :)

Also.....does anyone still make cockpits for these? I recall about 5 or 10 years ago you could buy cockpits and even helmets in resin.

Steve B

E-mail inbound.

BTW....studio scale is 1/24 as far as I can tell on these resin kits.....do you know the scale of the Revell Monogram Viper Mk1 kit from the early '80''s? It looks like it could be something around 1/20 or 1/24 in scale. Hard to guess without a cockpit. B)

Also.....does anyone still make cockpits for these? I recall about 5 or 10 years ago you could buy cockpits and even helmets in resin.

Steve B

Steve

The old Monogram Viper is 1:32 IIRC

Millenium do a whole series of updates for the cockpit, landing gear and even a launch rail. I have the Millenium cockpit set and it is simple, but light years ahead of the blanked cockpit offered in the kit.

Revel AG has announced they are retooling the Viper along with other BSG kits soon. The Viper cockpit is part of the re tooling.

B)

MikeJ