BSG Raptor Build

Well, last night's project was to core out the aft sections of the engine stacks (they're solid resin) so that I could install a set of LEDs into them and generate a "pulsing" engine effect.

To sum up: HOLY CRAP!!!! I think this is the hardest cast resin I've ever seen!!! It took me over 2 hours to core just ONE of the engine rounds, which is only an inch and half deep. I also thrashed two grinding bits for my rotary tool, and kept having to put the tool down it was getting so HOT!

After that experience, I started trying to sand down some of the main pieces to see how difficult that would be. To make a long story short, very coarse sanding materials (sticks, film) will be required, or I may just use the rotary to grind the stuff off (probably faster). It is VERY hard to sand....and it creates tons of resin dust. I had to swap out the filters on my respirator, and the dust cload is ridiculous.

Nice that the material is that durable...VERY difficult to work with.

I also completed the first circuit of the LEDs...pics to follow later of the progress.

Is re-casting the engine can you finished an option for you? Seems that a lot of folks on ARC cast their own resin parts, but I don't know how much hassle that really is as I've never attempted it.

DOn't forget, Revellogram is re-issuing their old Viper (Mk. 1), with new detail parts, including a cockpit.

Reissuing this kit? Just my luck....I have 2 of them. :wasntme: Any word on them doing the newer Vipers?

Steve

The old Monogram Viper is 1:32 IIRC

Millenium do a whole series of updates for the cockpit, landing gear and even a launch rail. I have the Millenium cockpit set and it is simple, but light years ahead of the blanked cockpit offered in the kit.

Revel AG has announced they are retooling the Viper along with other BSG kits soon. The Viper cockpit is part of the re tooling.

MikeJ

Mike....do you know where I can see the Millenium detail sets? Can you suggest a URL for them? I'll have to pick up one of the newly tooled Vipers.

Steve B

Reissuing this kit? Just my luck....I have 2 of them. :D Any word on them doing the newer Vipers?

Mike....do you know where I can see the Millenium detail sets? Can you suggest a URL for them? I'll have to pick up one of the newly tooled Vipers.

Steve B

Steve

Try here :wave:

No new Vipers at this stage.

:D

MikeJ

Thanks Mike....I had a look and found a few items of interest. I'm keen to build one of the Monogram Vipers I've got....with some resin goodies. I might even pick up one of the expensive resin Mk2 vipers....they look quite good.

Steve B

Thanks Mike....I had a look and found a few items of interest. I'm keen to build one of the Monogram Vipers I've got....with some resin goodies. I might even pick up one of the expensive resin Mk2 vipers....they look quite good.

Steve B

Steve,

I just got the MMI resin Landing gear set for my Mono Viper from Federation, Lots of detail but looks pretty fragile. I will be getting some new release Vipers too hope to convert one to a 2 seater. I'm also hoping that Monogram releases a plastic kit of the Mark II and Mark VII.

:cheers:

Emil

Steve B

Steve

I might wait and see what the new release Revell Vipers are like. Beats hacking into the fuselage with a razor saw :)

:blink:

MikeJ

Steve,

I just got the MMI resin Landing gear set for my Mono Viper from Federation, Lots of detail but looks pretty fragile. I will be getting some new release Vipers too hope to convert one to a 2 seater. I'm also hoping that Monogram releases a plastic kit of the Mark II and Mark VII.

:rofl:

Emil

I wonder if they would tool up new kits for the Mk2 and Mk7.....and possibly the Glactica?

I saw the original Galactica model at Expo '86. It looked to be 3 or 4 feet long.......it was suspended about 15' above my head.....and even from that distance it looked great. I wonder where that studio model ended up?

Steve B

Steve

I might wait and see what the new release Revell Vipers are like. Beats hacking into the fuselage with a razor saw :)

:cheers:

MikeJ

Good point Mike....maybe I'll wait a bit longer. :cheers:

Steve B

I saw the original Galactica model at Expo '86. It looked to be 3 or 4 feet long.......it was suspended about 15' above my head.....and even from that distance it looked great. I wonder where that studio model ended up?

Steve B

According to this article...

http://www.cylon.org/bsg/bsg-bradley-01.html

It was fixed up, exhibited for a while and then returned to storage.

I seem to recall that it was fixed up and put on display once again, more recently, but I can't find the reference just now.

According to this article...

http://www.cylon.org/bsg/bsg-bradley-01.html

It was fixed up, exhibited for a while and then returned to storage.

I seem to recall that it was fixed up and put on display once again, more recently, but I can't find the reference just now.

Very interesting read Charles. It mentions wires or cables from a previous display......this would no doubt be from Expo 86 where it was hung from the ceiling. If I had endless time, I would scratchbuild one 3 or 4 feet long. The shape is basically many flat surfaces......so it would be easier than most projects.

Steve B

Edited by SBARC
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...