1/32 Tamiya Viper

I was getting bogged down with my 1/32 A-7K conversion, so I took a break from that to do something easy: the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit.

358_5815.jpg

It turned out to be more of a task than the A-7K :cheers: . As it comes straight from the box, the Thunderbirds kit still needs several modifications to make an accurate block 32, let alone a bigmouth block 30. I wanted to do a 178FW machine from here in Ohio, so I had to trade my intake and P&W engine to get the big intake and GE. Pig Fleischmann came to the rescue. I originally wanted to do 86-0262, the MiG killer marked as the 162FS flagship, using the new SuperScale decals, but those decals were horrible, and they all went into the trash. I next tried 87-0222 as it appeared in April 2003 from Fox One's sheet, with barely more success. The grays for the stencils was too dark, and the checkerboard tailflash was too small. I wound up piecing the tailflash together from spare red checkers (applied over a painted yellow stripe), and stencils from several other 1/32 sets, since the T-birds kit does not include decals for jets other than the Thunderbirds team.

358_5819.jpg

358_5817.jpg

358_5816.jpg

358_5812.jpg

358_5811.jpg

358_5803.jpg

358_5802.jpg

357_5800.jpg

357_5780.jpg

Never disappointed in viewing your work Jake :cheers: Even though you didn't get to put on the markings you originally wanted, I like the choice of the Scooby Doo markings on the nose. Question though. What method did you use to accentuate the panel lines and weather the aircraft. I really like the realistic look of an inservice Viper you achieved with that.

Geez, I really thought I'd done a better job on the intake than this.......

358_5801.jpg

358_5810.jpg

358_5804.jpg

This was my first attempt at painting a pilot. He is pretty much straight from the box. I added a kneeboard, and that's it. I forgot his comm cord, though, I just noticed.

357_5782.jpg

357_5783.jpg

357_5794.jpg

357_5795.jpg

357_5796.jpg

358_5818.jpg

Edited by jmel

Last few. The inert AIM-120s were robbed from the F-15E Bunker Buster, the AGM-65 from the Academy F-18 kit (modified into a captive CATM-65), the LANTIRN pod from a Teknics resin set for the F-15, while the AIM-9M is from the kit. The LANTIRN pylon and TER is from the Academy F-16 kit, and the AMA pod is scratchbuilt from aluminum rod and sheet plastic.

Thanks for looking!

Jake

358_5813.jpg

358_5808.jpg

358_5807.jpg

358_5805.jpg

357_5785.jpg

357_5784.jpg

Edited by jmel
What method did you use to accentuate the panel lines and weather the aircraft. I really like the realistic look of an inservice Viper you achieved with that.

It's really nothing more elaborate than several passes with an airbrush, each with different shades of the base coat. I followed that up with a wash and some drybrushing. I actually think it is a bit overdone in some places, especially the wash.

Thanks guys! I'm glad to finally be able to finish something for a change.

Now, on to the A-7K!! Or, maybe another Viper or two. Or three. :thumbsup:

Jake

Edited by jmel

Jake! Not much too say other than... great work!

I love the pilot. What did you use to paint his visor? I've never been able to get that shiny black like you did, no matter how much future or gloss I coat it with.

Brave man with that photo set-up. I take it that it wasn't a windy day?

Awesome!

- Tom

Edited by Tom Silkowski
I love the pilot. What did you use to paint his visor? I've never been able to get that shiny black like you did, no matter how much future or gloss I coat it with.

Brave man with that photo set-up. I take it that it wasn't a windy day?

Awesome!

- Tom

Hey, Tom! The visor is simply Testor's gloss black enamel brushed on. I think it is 3 coats. Nothing too fancy.

Yeah, sorry about the photo set-up. I was too lazy to get out the tripod and do it right.

Nice to see you able to squeeze some modeling in between your photo shoots

I've had a bit of a lull lately. That's about to change, though, as I have an air-air shoot next week with the 178FW.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the kind words.

Jake

I really want to build my Tamiya Viper soon....

Do you have the CJ kit or the Thunderbirds? If you have the T-birds kit, be prepared for quite a bit of extra work to make it right. I can make you a list of the necessary changes if you'd like. I'm really surprised at how much Tamiya missed.

Jake

Hey, Tom! The visor is simply Testor's gloss black enamel brushed on. I think it is 3 coats. Nothing too fancy.

Yeah, sorry about the photo set-up. I was too lazy to get out the tripod and do it right.

I've had a bit of a lull lately. That's about to change, though, as I have an air-air shoot next week with the 178FW.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the kind words.

Jake

Another air-to-air shoot Jake,awesome! :) :cheers:

I'm speechless about you Viper,it's just awesome!

Do you have the CJ kit or the Thunderbirds? If you have the T-birds kit, be prepared for quite a bit of extra work to make it right. I can make you a list of the necessary changes if you'd like. I'm really surprised at how much Tamiya missed.

Jake

Jake,

First of all, great job on the Viper. It looks like the real thing and that is the highest praise I can think of. I like the little details like the C model on station 1 & the B model on station 9. Most people don't catch things like the rollerons deleted on CATM-9Ms or the 210 & LAU-129 rails.

I know you are a busy dude, but I was hoping you might post that list of changes needed to get an accurate early F-16C. I am sure any tips or issues you noticed during construction would be helpful.