1/48 Italeri SH-60B questions

I've been thinking about building a helicopter model for a while now (last one I built was a Huey in 1976) and was looking at the Italeri SH-60B. Is it a decent kit? I notice that Cobra Company has an update/detail set for it, but at about three times the price of the kit. Is the Cobra Company set necessary (well, I guess no resin set is necessary, but you know what I mean) to come up with a good representation of the SH-60? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Okay, if I had done a search on this forum before I posted I would have seen there were about four or five threads about this kit. Still, if anyone has any tips on construction I'd appreciate it. Also, what's the length of the completed kit? Thanks.

The only thing I can add is that the Cobra Company set is worth the price to really dress up the kit.

The kit by itself is probably ok, but with the resin and PE additions, it can really shine.

Just the addition of the corrected pilot doors and window glass makes such a difference.

Getting the Eduard set is also a plus.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Thanks for that. I found a few of them (the Italeri kits) available for a decent price so I'll probably order one tomorrow. I'm trying to see if I can get the Cobra Company set as a Christmas present. Has anyone purchased the Cobra Company decals for the SH-60B/F? I'll probably order the Mike Grant decals but the CC decals looked interesting too:

CCD4802med.gif

Thanks for that. I found a few of them (the Italeri kits) available for a decent price so I'll probably order one tomorrow. I'm trying to see if I can get the Cobra Company set as a Christmas present. Has anyone purchased the Cobra Company decals for the SH-60B/F? I'll probably order the Mike Grant decals but the CC decals looked interesting too:

CCD4802med.gif

Yes, I have the sheet but have not used it yet. I looks nice and not different than SS sheets. I am not up the SH-60 but IIRC you can build the F with B kit. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Some cheap mods I did:

- Installed recessed landing/spot lights using Evergreen tube.

- Converted circle style blackhawk vent on forward engine coming into the correct rectangular style (makes huge difference).

- Shortened front landing gear.

- Scratchbulit tailfold and nose bay hinges.

- Sanded off blackhawk cockpit window hatches.

- Scribed cockpit window hatches and added handles.

- Scratchbuilt nose avionics box in the cockpit and added under floor bulkheads to avoid that see-through look.

These were what I felt was necessary to build an acceptable seahawk - obviously the Cobra kit would add additional improvements (although I'm not sure it addresses all the mods I've described).

It isn't quite finished as I still have to complete various antenna, fairings and handles. If I'd done my research before starting I would also have added the correct interior panels, modified the seats and ignored the instruction colour callouts for the cockpit. Overall this it a great kit and the finished result is quite a striking model.

:cheers:

Edited by sea-monkey
  • 3 weeks later...

David,

I bought (pre-ordered) that kit when it came out in support of helo modeling. Boy, was I disapointed. You've read all the comments so I won't rehash.

I'm at a loss to where to even start, the mahogony model from the Phillipines in our office has better lines than the Italeri kit! But if, and when, I do I'll post an online build as well.

I do have the decals, and they're top-notch! They may be the push I need to start building this kit. I'd like to have one on my desk as well (note my avatar)!

Muff

Here's link to the main site

Aussie Modeller

Click on the discussion groups link on the left had side and then the readers models link

Or here a link directly to the article

RAN S-70B-2 build

The RAN S-70B-2 differs significantly from the Sh-60B/F internally. The ASW suite, RADAR and TAc data systems are unique.It doesn't have the big Sonobuoy launcher but the small 6 shot one. It's mad is in the tail boom, not external

It has some systems form the F model and some from the B model. From memory the airframes are basic F models. the dimensional inaccuracies are valid for all of SH-60B/F family based on the original seahawk

Anyway, most of the pics are of my build, and I'm going from memory on bits, (although I do have access to some RAN publication's) which is on hold coz I'm away. I'll continue adding to the thread in the new year

Edited by a4s4eva
FYI - Forgot to mention and it was listed but Mike Grant has a sheet for some SH-60's.

Yes, I saw those. I may pick up a sheet to give me more options.

Or here a link directly to the article

RAN S-70B-2 build

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that.

Edited by David Walker