Hey gents... first entry for the A-4 Group Build. This is the 1/48 Hasegawa A-4M, with a Condor Resin kit I got off of E-Bay. The Condor kit is OK. My instrument panel wasn't fully cast (left MFD was incomplete) and the resin is hard and brittle....

DSC00389.jpg

I used the Eduard Color photo-etch for the side panels, the MFD's came from an Eduard F-18D set (back seat), HUD frame is from the Eduard Harrier set (yeah, I've got a lot of etch in my spares box!) and the HUD projector is an MV lens.

Exterior shot as of now...

DSC00390.jpg

Hopefully I can get this done in the next two weeks before I move!

Thanks for stopping by!

Spongebob

Update for Friday Night. It has visited the paint shop after several days of sanding/priming/sanding/priming etc etc. Color coats are on. Base is 36375, camo is 36270, which appears a little to subtle. It may get darker when I hit it with clear, we'll see. About 1/2 of the ref photos I have support this, so.....

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

Hopefully landing gear & stores tomorrow and decals tomorrow night. Trying to get this done before the movers show up next week :banana:

Spongebob

Sunday Night update. Out of the Paintshop, and it grew legs while it was waiting to dry. Working on the stores / ancillary parts for the next day or so....

DSC00432.jpg

The Condor decals are fine. The carrier film is excessive in some cases, but they also feature the strongest glue I've ever seen on decals. A quick hit with Daco medium setting and the settled down nicely.

DSC00439.jpg

After gloss/decals/gloss/flat the colors have evened out like I hoped and match the real thing well. The colors are a bit darker with the flash than they are to the eye.

DSC00435.jpg

Captures the look pretty well!

Thanks for stopping by!

Spongebob

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice Build Spongebob,

I am going to do the same in 1/72 with the Fujimi kit. I don't know of a resin conversion in that scale, so I was planning on doing a bit of scratch building. I can use your build as inspiration and a little bit of reference, keep up the good work!

-Hoops

Jared,

Feel free. I'm using a WAPJ article, a couple issues of Air Forces Monthly and a book on the A-4M (don't have it in front of me to quote) for references.

Project is currently on hold... I move into my new house on the 12th, so I'll probably get spun back up a week or so after that.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys,

Spongebob

• 1 month later...

Bringing back a dead thread....

Obviously, I did not finish in time for the GB - moving from LA to Pax River and recreating my creative workshop (cave?) took longer than planned. However, up and running now..

So, this is where we stand. Load out is based on long range strike for something like Red Flag where they would carry an TACTS pod, and obviously dumb bombs due to the airframe. I don't know if this is a legal load, but I don't care, it's interesting.

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

TACTS Pod is going on the left-outboard station. Need to finish up the cockpit and some more time-consuming details (and an oil breather stain on the right side!) and this will go on the shelf.

Enjoy!

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest Update: I am trying something new... trying to do an "in action" scene. Concept is based on the jet waiting at marshal for -2 to hurry the heck up. Though came from using powered up displays from the Eduard Hornet color set. So... in order to do this we need a pilot, sitting in mild frustration, hands on the windscreen frame and oxygen mask off like a seasoned and overly-lazy pilot would do.

Unfortunately, nobody makes one in 1/48! Basis is the PJ Productions "US Navy pilot". This resin gem has some of the strongest mold-release agent I have ever seen. It took a solid 12 hour soak in Castrol Super Clean to get the super glue to grab hold... and we use Super Clean as an (illegal) de-greaser on real aircraft!

After that was set, arms were repositioned by cutting, solder wire and 2 part epoxy putty. Next came the helmet adventure, as I wanted a modern one and the PJ kit comes with an HGU-33. Solution came from using a rechargeable Dremel (slower speed that won't melt plastic) on a Hasegawa 1/48 Head left over from a F-16CJ kit, saving the visor and helmet, and chopping the helmet off of a figure from a 1/48 Hasegawa pilot/crew set (with an HGU-33...the PJ resin head was too brittle to work with). After a solid day of grinding and dry fitting, I got a usable result, and cast a resin copy (I might need it again on a future project!!).

Here's what we ended up with:

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

Chart is an actual Nells ONC that was scaled down... Feet were amputated to ease the fit under the panel.

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

Better pictures to follow...almost done now!

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob
So... in order to do this we need a pilot, sitting in mild frustration, hands on the windscreen frame and oxygen mask of like a seasoned and overly-lazy pilot would do.

Where's the love, dude? Seasoned and over-lazy NFO's do that, too :thumbsup:

Only thing you're missing is a lipper and spitter.... (couple months ago I did a DLI where the mask was never on, and the Cope went in right after arming the CATM... I figured with OBOGS that was probably safer than wearing the mask...)