Wings Yokosuka E14Y "glen"

I'll start my thread today, and get cranking on the model next week. The Glen kind of facinates me as it was developed as a sub borne observation aircraft, designed to be stored in a water tight tube on the deck of certain Japanese subs. One of them did a post-strike recce on Pearl Harbor, and another fire-bombed the forests in Oregon (across the river from where I live in Washington State). This was the only air attack on the continental US during the war. I like strange one off aircraft, so the attraction was natural...

The Wings kit is a typical cavity molded Vac, good detail, crisp moldings. It comes with a small flat of resin bits, which has been added as their upgraded kits. If you haven't tried a vac, Wings/ Eagle Talon are great to start with. I enjoy vacs, as they test your skills, and sometimes your paitence and vocabulary.

Cutting and sanding will begin soon.

CH

Glen1.jpg

Edited by I-16

Main parts freed from sheets. I score and snap them out, which seems to work well. Now its time to start sanding.

It does look a bit like the AR 196, all be it is is somewhat smaller, I believe.

CH

glen2.jpg

Edited by I-16
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to much progress to report. Sanded wings down, and they are ready to go together. Glued floats, and they do float. Starting on interior. The kits fusalage is smooth, but checking some photos, it turns out the back half is fabric. I'm adding stringers on the inside of the 'pit, and will attempt to simulate fabric and ribs with tape and clear coat..

On to detailing the insides.

glen4.jpg

The fit seem sto be good, and the detail is nice as well. The only issue I have had so far is a lot of lumps in the plastic. They are easily sanded off, but finding them all is a pain. Thats what the dots are, I mark the imperfections with a marker. Before sanding, it looked like it had the pox. I have a Wings D XXI, and the plastic is dead smooth.

CH

Got the interior close to complete. Here it is being dry-fit. I looked at some photos, and added bulkheads behind pilot and observer. I have no clue how the observers gun mounts up, as there are only 11 pictures of the Glen on the web, and all are of the observer facing forward. So I will build it with the gun stowed.

Might paint tonight.

CH

glen5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage together, wings attached. Need to do some clean-up on the wing to fuselage joints. One minor issue I ran into is the cowling. It came out way undersized. I will add some plastic card spacer to make it larger in diameter and more rounded.

More later.

CH

glen6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, a few steps forward, giant step back, then moving forward again. How many of you actually test paint or primer on plastic prior to coating? I don't, and it bit me. I often use automotive primer as it is heavy and sands well. I grabbed a can out of the garage, and hit the Glen, and realized it was a type I have not used on models before. Proved to be a little "hot" and I watched as it began to craze the plastic before my eyes. A bunch of bad words came from my mouth. Fortunately, I had clear coated the back half of the model to seal the tape which represented the fabric ribbing, and that protected the stuff I had really worked on. So more wet sanding, and I got to do some scribing, using Dymo Tape (which is easier than a ruler) and some more sanding, and more foul words. So, I am now back to pre-priming. I shot it again, (after testing my primer) and it looks ok.

Floats have a recessed area in them for the strut attach points. I cut slots, and used Evergreen channel glued in, and sanded flush. One of the pix shows the process. Now she is setting on the floats,ready to drill the attach points.

Time to start on the undersized cowling, which I have been avoiding like the plague.

Seeing some awsome modeling from the other entries!

If I get this guy done soon, I'm going to build an injection molded Hanriot Floatplane Fighter by Eduard, just for a lark.

CH

glen9.jpg

glen8.jpg

glen7.jpg

Edited by I-16
  • 2 months later...

After a lull in modeling activity, I'm back at it. The Glen is up on the floats, flaperons are on, and I, busy hacking at the canopy(s), my least favorite modeling activity. Hope to finish her off this week or next.

glen12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...