Eurofighter Typhoon T.1

First up, apologies for being the only one not doing an F-16 in this GB :worship:

Kit is the Revell 1/72 Typhoon

RV4338.jpg

Not much work to report, just wanted to post to show I'm in :woo:

ip1cx5.jpg

Edited by Nev
First up, apologies for being the only one not doing an F-16 in this GB :thumbsup:

Nev,

Nothing to apologize for; I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress. I have the 48th scale version, and am looking forward to building it, but I have a number of projects in the queue ahead of it (including an F-16 :))

Very Nice looking detail in that 'pit - especially in 1/72. I'm looking forward to seeing this one being done some more. One question though - the control columns look backwards? Here's a pic of the real one to compare it to.

med_GL-041487-34.jpg

BTW I didn't realise that the Typhoon was also in a Reserve Squadron! I just might have to get my 1/48 single seater from the stash......

BTW I didn't realise that the Typhoon was also in a Reserve Squadron! I just might have to get my 1/48 single seater from the stash......

All of the RAF's Operational Conversion (Training) Units and some second line training and test units have taken over the number plates of retired front line squadrons:

15 (Reserve) Squadron - Tornado GR4 Operational Conversion Unit

17 (Reserve) Squadron - Typhoon Operational Evaluation Unit

19 (Reserve) Squadron - Hawk T1 - Weapons Training

20 (Reserve) Squadron - Harrier GR7/9 Operational Conversion Unit

29 (Reserve) Squadron - Typhoon T1 and F2 Operational Conversion Unit

41 (Reserve) Squadron - Tornado F3 and GR4 and Harrier Operational Evaluation Unit

45 (Reserve) Squadron - Beech Super King Air - Multi Engine Training

55 (Reserve) Squadron - Domine T1 - Navigator training

56 (Reserve) Squadron - Tornado F3 Operational Conversion Unit

60 (Reserve) Squadron - Griffin HT1 - Search and Rescue Training Unit

79 (Reserve) Squadron - Tucano T1 - Basic Training

203 (Reserve) Squadron - Sea King HAR3 Operational Conversion Unit

207 (Reserve) Squadron - Tucano T1 - Basic Training

208 (Reserve) Squadron - Hawk T1 - Advanced Training

42 (Reserve) and 57 (Reserve) Squadron and the Nimrod and Hercules OCUs respectively but don't have any aircraft on strength.

I think that's the complete list.....

Richard

Edited by Richard E

Bad Cop - DOH! I'll double check the Revell instructions later....looks like I'll have to re-arrange the sticks. Or put the ailerons at full deflection :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, here's the pics of the completed pit.

ip2tm9.jpg

ip3zk3.jpg

Its a curious mix of detail and non-detail. What there is, is quite nice, and a good starting point with some switches, panels etc. But half of them are missing. Very strange. Full decals for the side consoles and instrument panel are also provided. I decided to mix and match, using the decals in the barest parts, and gentle highlight painting for the rest. Could probly do with a bit of decal in the fwd starboard console looking at these pics tbh.

The cockpit of the Typhoon is actually quite spartan and colourless, not at all like say, an F-4.

Still, a resin or EB cockpit for this kit would be nice.

Edited by Nev

Progressing nicely along. Will need a bit of filler & sanding in a few spots - I think the slightly awkward shape of the plane doesn't help in this regard. OTOH, it could just be cos I'm a complete muppet :D

ip4oq7.jpg

ip5se2.jpg

Bad Cop - DOH! I'll double check the Revell instructions later....looks like I'll have to re-arrange the sticks. Or put the ailerons at full deflection :banana:

Meanwhile, here's the pics of the completed pit.

ip2tm9.jpg

ip3zk3.jpg

Its a curious mix of detail and non-detail. What there is, is quite nice, and a good starting point with some switches, panels etc. But half of them are missing. Very strange. Full decals for the side consoles and instrument panel are also provided. I decided to mix and match, using the decals in the barest parts, and gentle highlight painting for the rest. Could probly do with a bit of decal in the fwd starboard console looking at these pics tbh.

The cockpit of the Typhoon is actually quite spartan and colourless, not at all like say, an F-4.

Still, a resin or EB cockpit for this kit would be nice.

Hi Nev

How is your Typhoon coming along?

Rob

Thanks for asking guys, I'm now at the putty-sand-prime stage. Port wing root needs a bit of work, and a few other spots needed a little touch up, but not too bad. Broke off the port canard as well :dum:

Run out of white primer though, so need a trip to Halfords!

ip6ox8.jpg

ip7qj7.jpg

Thanks for asking guys, I'm now at the putty-sand-prime stage. Port wing root needs a bit of work, and a few other spots needed a little touch up, but not too bad. Broke off the port canard as well :dum:

Run out of white primer though, so need a trip to Halfords!

ip6ox8.jpg

ip7qj7.jpg

Good thing Halford's have a sale on :cheers:

Stephen

Hello all,

I'd just like to congratulate Nev for posting his pics of the T.1 underway; I'm more than a little curious and very seriously considering parting with the hard-earned for one of these myself (I had been holding off for the single seater, but patience is not a strong point......). It looks very nice and I hope it continues on as strongly! What decals will you use for the 17 Sqn jet - kit or Model Alliance? I'm wondering if the kit decals are usable (or at least accurate), or should I shell out more for the Model Alliance decals. Interestingly, it looks as though 29 Sqn changed their markings after MA released their sheet. Pity they haven't been updated on some of the later RAF 2005-06 sheets.

To Richard, thanks for the list of Reserve Squadrons. Do you know if 74 Squadron is to be reformed on Typhoons in the future (or is it my imagination/poor memory playing tricks again)?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew, I shall be using the kit decals. There are no issues that jump out at me, though I confess I'm not the sort to scrupulously check stuff, and I've not heard of any issues either. As for usability, the decals in Revell kits less than 5 years old are generally excellent (their older ones are horrid though!).

As for the single seater, its due out in Q1 2007, so.....maybe we'll even get some 11 squadron markings in it :thumbsup:

Hi Nev,

Many thanks for your reply. In what is an embarrassing update, shortly after typing my earlier post, I left the house and headed for my local hobby shop to pick up one of these kits. With an air of determination and a confidence born of many visits, I headed to the shelf to select one of the boxes that had sat there for ages (and had been bypassed by me for as long) only to find that all had been sold since my last visit. Bugger!

Therefore, I shall have to wait for the single seater! Oh well.....

Anyway, I will definitely continue to watch your progress. I hope it goes very well.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Alright Nev!

I saw that you were planning to use the kit decals. 17 Sqn recently changed their markings. The new markings are in the Model Alliance decal set but if you wanted to model a Typhoon as first delivered to 17 Sqn then the kit decals are fine (as far as I know).

The build is looking good

Happy New Year

Ian :(

I had read that 17 Sqn were taking the two-seaters and that remaining single seaters were doing the return trip to 29 Sqn, but I have seen photos dated recently that would seem to scotch that theory (single seaters still in 17 Sqn markings).

Any updates on that?

Cheers, Ian

• 4 weeks later...

OK, quick update. 4 coats of Barley Grey later.....now its onto the touch-ups and detail painting - after I've scrutinised photos on Airliners.net to learn what the real colours are, not "67% matt grey + 33% light olive" etc :lol:

ip9ht9.jpg

ip8vq1.jpg

OK, quick update. 4 coats of Barley Grey later.....now its onto the touch-ups and detail painting - after I've scrutinised photos on Airliners.net to learn what the real colours are, not "67% matt grey + 33% light olive" etc :)

ip9ht9.jpg

ip8vq1.jpg

Looking very nice after a long hiatus. You're still building it as a 17 Squadron plane right?

Where I've discovered that RAF aircraft don't have the IR tracking thingy......

That's ok. It looks good with the IRST pod on it's left cheek. :beer4: