Most Popular Jet Modeling Subject

The number of pages of builds in the Gallery sections gives one a good idea on what it most popular. F-16, F-14, F-18, Spitfire, and P-51. Probably one or two more, but i'm just going off of memory. Some thing tells me that if Academy comes out with a very nice F-18 in 1/72 (as is supposed to happen) that F-18's might move ahead of the Tomcat...

later

Ruud

Here on ARC? F-16 and F-14 by several lengths. I know Steve tries hard to keep a balance of jets + props in the articles on the front page, but in the forums jets are way more popular - just compare the traffic in the jets forum vs the props forum.

Remember that aircraft such as the Hunter, Meteor, Harrier, Buccaneer and Phantom have the advantage of several decades' head start over things like the F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18. They also come in colours other than grey.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

Are we talking most popular period or just on ARC. If it is for everything, then I would say the F-4 Phantom gets the nod since kits have been around longer for it then most of the other jets. Plus, with all the airforces that have flown the Phantom, there is a lot of international interest in the kit as well. It also covers a lot of sub genres of modeling with Navy and Air Force subjects (not to mention its wartime experience as an ace maker and a ground buster).

Right now I think the F-14 is probably top banana at least on ARC due to the recent retirement of the aircraft and the variety of paintjobs it has worn. As such, it is in the public spotlight and those who want to build them ask the questions for those that have built them to answer. But whose to say that two or three years down the road that the momentum will remain? Of the other subjects, the F-16 probably gets a little higher nod then the F-18, unless you include both Superhornet and non-US operated Hornets (such as ones from Canada) in the total mix of interest in Hornets.

According to the ARC Galleries, theres...

6 pages of

Phantoms (including the Brits)

Hornets

5 pages of

F-16s

4 pages of

Eagles

Tomcats

3 pages of

Starfighters

2 pages of

Tornados

Harriers

Hunters

F-5s

MiG-29s

Su-27s

Warthogs

I guess numbers would change if Andy Mullen's and Fireman's One-Man Group Builds were represented one by one. IIRC there was another OMGB on Tomcats, but I can't remeber the name. A great deal of the Phantoms are by Shawn. :bandhead2:

What I find odd though is that there are not more Fishbeds.

Or that a great deal of the Eagles are Strike Eagles.

EDIT: It seems to me that the galleries were updated only recently. Last time I looked there were 3pages of Phantoms. While we're at that, has anybody got pics of that KA-6/F-4 air-refuelling diorama by John Chung? I'd love to see how that was done...

Edited by ChernayaAkula

What 15 articles with around 8 Phantoms per article aren't enough for ya?

In my house.........

Phantoms by about 4 to 1 over the next favorite (only have built around 100 with 90 still in the cabinet)

Hornets then

Tomcats

Starfighetrs

F-16s

and used to have 12 CT-133s but thats down to 2 now.

Right now I think the F-14 is probably top banana at least on ARC due to the recent retirement of the aircraft and the variety of paintjobs it has worn.

Pretty much two kinds of gray :banana:

JK ;)

Edited by tomcatter727

Would have to agree F-4's are probably tops. I haven't been to a show yet that one "Rhino" of some sort wasn't on the table no matter what the scale. Would gander the F-16 and F-14 are about the same for second but gaining in the case of the Tomcat since the "buzz" about them being retired. It boils down to this, how many F-4 kits have been released? A BUNCH!!! That should tell ya something.

Phantom/Rhino Luver,

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas