SH-60B Seahawk finished!

Hello,

Before we continue: I'm an enthusiast, but I'm not an expert on the subject. This is only the second helicopter model I have built in over 10 years! I had a lot of fun doing it.

This is the Revell 1/100 SH-60B released in 1990 along with a submarine as part of a "Hunt for the Red October" movie series. I haven't seen it since. Been 1/100 it is quite small and there is not much you can do to it... or so I thought :cheers:

Added details include: Hydraulic lines in the main rotor, metal links, machined aluminum rotor mast, scratchbulit rescue winch, windshield wipers, seatbelts, wire seat headrests, seat cushion, center console instruments, antenna(behind the aft data link dome underneath), formation lights, landing gear hydraulic line and what I believe to be a low freq antenna (the U shaped wire on the side)

A friend asked me if the torpedoes were Mk44: I have no idea.

Ohh, and I'll make a plaque or something saying: "Yes, the back rotor is canted 20 degress, no it is not broken or bent" :D

Hope you enjoy the pics.

DSCF3955b.jpg

DSCF3935b.jpg

DSCF3928b.jpg

DSCF3943b.jpg

DSCF3940b.jpg

DSCF3957b.jpg

DSCF3941b.jpg

DSCF3946b.jpg

What do you think? Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ismael Gonzalez

Puerto Rico

• 2 weeks later...

Ismael,

Thank you for doing such a overlooked subject! The US Navy is going to be a predominently H-60 air force and yet we have little to no modeling representation. It's all jets ;-P

Two things:

1. The pitch change links (PCLs) should be perfectly vertical and the kit has them assembled slightly splayed outwards.

2. The two detail pieces underneath the chin bubble look to be the same shape as the steps to ingress the cockpit. They should be affixed just below the doors between the lower door sill and radome. Google SH-60B and you'll see plenty of images.

This isn't meant to detract from your excellent work. Just answering your call for comments!

Love the HF antennae detail and tell me how you machined the main rotor mast too?

Oh yeah, one last thing. They're Mk-46 torps from that era.

Muff

Seahawk Driver (1993-1996)

1,600 hours SH-60B Blk I

Edited by mb1k

Muf,

Thank you VERY VERY much! That's exactly the kind of comments I need! My only references are pictures, because I have not seen one up close. I was puzzled about those parts. I thought they were some sort of antennas or something. But now, looking at the reference pics I have, I notice them! Duh! I'll try to fix them. The molded PCLs were very bad so I replaced them with solder. That would be a bit harder to correct but now I know what you mean. I machined the mast in my mini-lathe after several reference pics from the net. The kit's mast was hopelessly thin.

Rocat,

The base color is Testor's Model Master Light Ghost Gray. It is very light, but weathering would darken it a bit. After painting the body, I airbrushed a coat of Tamiya clear and lightly polished it to a gloss, applied the decals (a challenge in itself), then airbrushed Testor's dullcoat. Then after most of the assembly was done, I applied a wash of acrylic black and brown, and a wash of black and blue to the rotor and landing gear.

Again, thanks all for your nice comments. I had a lot of fun, and I learned a lot in the process. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks,

Ismael Gonzalez

Puerto Rico