Contrail 1/72 Blackburn Iris III

OK, mulling over my choices, I went with the Contrail 1/72 vacuform kit of the Blackburn Iris III.

Blackburn_Iris_Mk_III_S1263.jpg

With a span of 97', length of 67-1/3', and a height of 25-1/2', the Iris III was the largest aircraft in the RAF during its service period, approximately 1930 to 1933. Powered by 3 675 hp RR Condor engines, she had a cruise speed of 97 mph and a range of 800 miles. Crew appears to be about six, armament of 3 Lewis guns and 2000lb of bombs.

If you look quickly at the production stats, there would appear to have been 12 total Iris built, but in fact, several underwent conversion to later marks. There were only 5 serialed aircraft, 4 of them built as the Iris III, the first operational version and the subject of this kit. The only unit to fly them was 209 Squadron (Flying Boat), which never had more than 3 on-hand.

This will be the biggest vacuform-kit I have attempted.

01_contrail_iris_kit_9848.jpg

I've got a Part PE set for the Roden Felixstowe that might help with some details.

Two references:

-- Blackburn Aircraft since 1909, A.J. Jackson, Naval Institute Press, 1989

-- British Flying Boats, Peter London, Sutton, 2003

Actual start may be a bit, as workbench is crowded right now.

John

All I have to say is just damn!

If you hadn't nailed the Stranraer with such style for the Matchbox GB I would have my doubts as to anyone pulling this one off- but you're the man for the job! :banana: Will love to watch this build.

Andrew, shuddering while looking over his Strannie...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my three cohorts in vacu-form crime have gotten off to fast starts so I thought I better do something to show participation.

I have cut out all the parts - no sanding down yet - that probably won't start until after the holidays.

10_iris_parts_cutout_0070S.jpg

And, no the broad red smear on one wing is not blood ... I did have a couple "oops" with the knife, but can repair then ...

John

Hi John,

Just in case you weren't aware, if you go to the Seawings website you will find some shots of the Iris including the cockpit area and instrument panel.

I've got an Iris as well as the Perth, but don't seem to be able to get myself to work on either.

Ted Barrett

OK, mulling over my choices, I went with the Contrail 1/72 vacuform kit of the Blackburn Iris III.

Blackburn_Iris_Mk_III_S1263.jpg

With a span of 97', length of 67-1/3', and a height of 25-1/2', the Iris III was the largest aircraft in the RAF during its service period, approximately 1930 to 1933. Powered by 3 675 hp RR Condor engines, she had a cruise speed of 97 mph and a range of 800 miles. Crew appears to be about six, armament of 3 Lewis guns and 2000lb of bombs.

If you look quickly at the production stats, there would appear to have been 12 total Iris built, but in fact, several underwent conversion to later marks. There were only 5 serialed aircraft, 4 of them built as the Iris III, the first operational version and the subject of this kit. The only unit to fly them was 209 Squadron (Flying Boat), which never had more than 3 on-hand.

This will be the biggest vacuform-kit I have attempted.

01_contrail_iris_kit_9848.jpg

I've got a Part PE set for the Roden Felixstowe that might help with some details.

Two references:

-- Blackburn Aircraft since 1909, A.J. Jackson, Naval Institute Press, 1989

-- British Flying Boats, Peter London, Sutton, 2003

Actual start may be a bit, as workbench is crowded right now.

John

Edited by Ted Barrett

Ted,

Thanks, I've got those pix already and will wing it from there ...

I had the option to pick up a Perth when I got the Iris and passed, knowing I had only one of these in me ...

John

I will be interested to see how the strut material works. I have a copy of this kit in my stash of several dozen vac kits.

Luckliy vacs require sharp knife blades - sharp blades leave nice clean cuts on fingers that heal quickly, even if stitches are required (not like I have any experience with stitches) :thumbsup:

I'll be interested in seeing how he does the struts. Thats always been a stumbling block for me and bi-plane vacs. I've done little ones, but nothing of this magnitude! I love watching other builders techniques in these builds. I have a Contrail B-7/ O-35 which has a whole bunch of struts that I've been too chicken to start, hope to get some inspiration here.

CH

I too have the contrail B7/O-35 kit. I also have a resin B-7 kit. One will be in "yellow-wing" with blue or OD fuslage, the other will be in 1935/36 camo of purple/grey/green tops surfaces.

Reference the struts for the wings, they might be avoided as actual structural items by using some wing spars. Just my initial thoughts - haven't started the kit. The Iris top wing mounting is a completely differnt story :wave:

Sensing some rustling in the undergrowth - is this kit still available anywhere b y any chance??? Contrail are long gone I believe. Have had a brief look of course but I know ther are geniuses out there.

I guess try eBay. I got mine from a lucky stop in a LHS who just got some stuff on consignment.

John

I picked up mine on Ebay. There are frequently several different versions of the large British biplane flying boats by Contrail on Ebay. I find them using a search in the models section with search words, "vac, vacform, and vacuform".

DOH!!!!!!!! Now there will be more competition!!!! :(

During the mid to late 80s I went on a vacform kit binge and built several from Rareplanes, Esoteric, Vacwings, Contrail, and some others. The most ambitious were a Contrail Manchester and a Westland Welking, along with several smaller biplane types such as the Loening OL-1A. As part of this binge, I acquired all the Contrail vac kits of the 'tween Wars British flying boats. Still have them stashed away awaiting further inspiration - this looks like it may be that sourse :thumbsup:

There used to be metal airfoil strut materials by Strutz (I think that was the name) - I got mine from Aeroclub, but no idea if those are still available.

Edited by Chuck1945

There used to be metal airfoil strut materials by Strutz (I think that was the name) - I got mine from Aeroclub, but no idea if those are still available.

I got a packet of the metal "strutz" at the 2006 IPMS Nats, from Roll Models.

John

• 2 weeks later...

No pix, just a quick update to show life ...

I previously reported cutting all the parts out -- as of today, I've made the first sanding of everything except the fuselage and wings.

Appears to be an issue where the nacelle halves don't align well and it appears that I will have to cut off the main supports and remount them.

Got to figure that out and find time to sand down the remaining parts ...

John