F-35's first flight coming up

Well, I don't think Lightning II is all that bad, sure they could have done better but it's not that bad really ...

Navy/Marine folk never really referred to the Phantom as "Rhino", that was more of a USAF moniker ...

Gregg

Terriffic pic - thanks for finding that but...

What is with this current trend of slapping the national insignia on the aircraft where it looks like it's tattooed on the plane's butt? They've done this with the F-22 also. Both aircraft have plenty of room for the star-and-bars on the forward fuselage where the F-15 wears 'em...it just looks odd to me.

Terriffic pic - thanks for finding that but...

What is with this current trend of slapping the national insignia on the aircraft where it looks like it's tattooed on the plane's butt? They've done this with the F-22 also. Both aircraft have plenty of room for the star-and-bars on the forward fuselage where the F-15 wears 'em...it just looks odd to me.

Yeah, it looks just wrong right there. It would be more appropriate and very F-16ish if they move it to the upper fuselage, forward of the tails.

I don't see the logic in re-hashing old aircraft names. When you say "Lighting" to me I think of a twin boom dual prop in-line engine fighter that shot down Yamamoto and caused hazoc over Italy. When I think of "Corsair" images of a bent wing bird come to mind. The Corsair Jet? That's an A-7 to me, not a Corsair. Mention Thunderbolt and I think of a "Jug" not an A-10. That seems to be commonplace around people who know their aircraft. You'd think that the manufacturers woudl know that too.

I wonder if the Navy will stick to Lighting II or give it another name? By the way, we start production of the outer folding wing sections in one year's time. The Navy has bumped up their production order; great for business.

Randy

Don't forget the F-4 Phantom was also the second aircraft to bear the name hence the II ... Some become more famous than the previous name bearer ...

Good point - same with the Corsair; the F4-U and the SLUF. Also, there have already been two Lightnings - the Lockheed and the English Electric, so maybe the F-35 should really be Lighning III ? ;)

:thumbsup: Sigh. I've been a bit of an F-35-hater simply because it is the replacement of my beloved F-16. But, I hate to say that the more pictures I see the more I'm starting to like it. My 20th year in the ANG is 2013, wonder if there is any chance of getting them at Andrews before I retire?

Chappie

What is with this current trend of slapping the national insignia on the aircraft where it looks like it's tattooed on the plane's butt?

Well if you placed in anywhere else you would be giving up all that highly visible NASCAR type sponsorship space :thumbsup:

Regards

Jim Barr

Sigh. I've been a bit of an F-35-hater simply because it is the replacement of my beloved F-16.

That is a smack in the face Chappie. I like the F-16 as well. Not as much as the Tomcat, but I can relate because I don't care for the Hornet. But at least with the F-35, it has a look that will eventually appeal. The Hornet, well.... that's another story. :thumbsup:

Randy

Good point - same with the Corsair; the F4-U and the SLUF. Also, there have already been two Lightnings - the Lockheed and the English Electric, so maybe the F-35 should really be Lighning III ? B)

No, there not putting them together. This is the second time for the name in the U.S. and will be the second time in the UK for the name so they went with Lightning II.

HTH

Mike

No, there not putting them together. This is the second time for the name in the U.S. and will be the second time in the UK for the name so they went with Lightning II.

HTH

Mike

The Brits used P-38s for a while too so this is their third Lightning.

No matter how many numerals one puts behind it, the name sucks for the F-35.

Well if you placed in anywhere else you would be giving up all that highly visible NASCAR type sponsorship space :D

Regards

Jim Barr

My thoughts exactly, Jim - I was trying to find a delicate way of putting it but I like your version! :D

My take on the name: Lightning never strikes the same place twice. B)

The Brits used P-38s for a while too so this is their third Lightning.

No matter how many numerals one puts behind it, the name sucks for the F-35.

Not true. Only 3 Lightning I's went to the UK and there was never any offical acceptance of the type by the RAF or the Ministry of Supply. All 3 were return to the USAAF by July 10 1943.

Mike

Good point - same with the Corsair; the F4-U and the SLUF.

There have been FOUR Corsairs: The O2U, the O3U (which Vought apparently itself refered to as the "Corsair II" as the O2U was the first "Corsair"), the F4U and the A-7. So the SLUF should actually be the "Corsair IV".

Edited by LanceB
Not true. Only 3 Lightning I's went to the UK and there was never any offical acceptance of the type by the RAF or the Ministry of Supply. All 3 were return to the USAAF by July 10 1943.

Mike

And to be correct it was the Brits that called it the Lightning just as they called the P-51 a Mustang. And that's because the RAF didn't use designations like P-38 or P-51, they used names.

Edited by kitnut617
And to be correct it was the Brits that called it the Lightning just as they called the P-51 a Mustang. And that's because the RAF didn't use designations like P-38 or P-51, they used names.

They do pick some good names. :beer4:

Mike