Here's my second build of the Broup Build - Another Mig-15bis, also in 1/48. This time it's the Tamiya kit, a somewhat easier build that the Trumpeter kit. This kit has flown together - No doubt helped by the fact I'm on leave with little else to do!

I'm going to finish it off in the kit markings of the PLAAF with a bright red tail. Anyway I've gotten the Alclad finish done and the red done as well. Next comes the decals - lets see if I can do a little better this time!

As of this morning

TamiyaMig-15bis.jpg

And as of right now

TamiyaMig-15bis001.jpg

Got some decals on this bright coloured bird, and I think it's a very attractive scheme. The decals for the roundels and one of the side numbers broke up nastily after they got off the backing paper, but I managed to get them back together, mostly okay. These are the kit ones, printed by Scale Master. I think other people who've had problems with Tamiya kit decals have been with Decals made by Scale Master.

Here's a quick picture of it anyway.

TamiyaMig-15bis002.jpg

As for the final pictures of my other MiG, I'll put the two side by side in a sort of MiG show with this one once everything is finished.

Edited by BadCop

Very pleasing to the eye Trent.. :thumbsup:

I ran into the same problems with the Scalemonster decal sheet on the P-51, glad you got around the problem, she looks great!

As a side note I've been really spoilt with the Cartograf decals used on my last build, absolutely wonderful, thin and easy to apply. More importantly they stay together when you move them around on the model. :D

Look forward to seeing the finished model BC.

Doc

That's looking fine fine fine! Also your other Mig-15 makes me want to do one myself even more. Grrr..if only the stores nearby would have them stacked up for me :-) No luck yet but there is still time within this GB to get it done if i give it a go.

Jochem

Well, as for accuracy I can't really say, but the Trumpeter kits has some features that the Tamiya kit lacks - namely separate control surfaces, a Gun Bay complete with interior details, and an avionics bay in the nose. It also has the 'special feature' of what is effectively a decal instrument panel - an acetate sheet that goes behind a flat clear panel, devoid of any details. I drilled holes for the instruments and painted the clear panel.

The Tamiya kit definitely builds up a lot easier and is a friendlier build, but the Trumpeter build is complicated by the options (that I don't like to use) of the avionics and gun bays, but nothing a careful builder can't handle.

Anyway here's some pics of the now finished build.

TamiyaMig-15bis003.jpg

TamiyaMig-15bis004.jpg

Edited by BadCop
:thumbsup: Now that was fast!! She looks awesome!!! :cheers: I just picked up the trumpeter kit from NAH (North American Hobbies) and was just looking at it... I am really impressed I had the tamiya in the pile at one time and traded it off a few years ago but I dont recall it as being a impresive kit. but after seeing your build here I wish I would have kept it. :cheers: Edited by TF51GREGWISE

Looks very good :thumbsup: Tamyia is easy to build but the Tail is not corrected. From Ciro Resin give a correted Tail ,i used for my Tamiya Mig-15 but it is not easy to build on the Fuselage of the Kit. The Resinparts are very delay but its looks better than the Tamiya Tail :cheers:

greetings Michael

What the? i need to frequent this forum more often, finished pieces pop up from nowherew. Almost makes me feel you guys finish those intricate 1/48 kits as fast as i can do the simple 1/72. Its frustrating to see all those bare metal finish planes and me doing those boring "paintjobbed" ones :-)