Still progressing with the cockpit and various wires before the closing the fuselage sides together.

cockpit1.jpg

I have added a brown oil wash to the cockpit sides to highlight the stringers.

cockpit2.jpg

I hope to leave off as much of the delicate cockpit parts i.e m/gun until after the final painting session. Also hope to make some good headway with this build over the Christmas break.

Cheers

Doc

Thanks for your comments all,

I have eventually stopped mucking about with the cockpit and got on with assembly. This final open cockpit shot shows the IP added:-

cockpitside_last.jpg

So after the fuselage has been closed very little of the detail will actually be seen but hey I know its there :cheers:

cockpit_in.jpg

As I said before the m/gun will be left off until after the final painting. I am also thinking of making the leather on the cockpit sides a little more detailed, the kit shows a very flat rendition and possibly a little milliput sausage can be used to give a true 'round' profile to the leather edges.

I have assembled the floats and still need to add control horns to the rudders to enable the control wires to be threaded through and up to the float legs.

float.jpg

The basic fuselage assembly showing the dropped elevators and again control horns drilled to accept the thin guitar string control wire.

fuse_rear.jpg

Front view..

fuse_front.jpg

Thanks for looking, more soon....

Doc :crying:

Also like to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas and New Year..... ;)

Thanks guys,

A little progress to report and slowly but surely things are moving towards the spray booth.... :blink: . This particular build having a half camo scheme making painting a little awkward i.e. four seperate wing sections the struts and fuselage painted seperately before assembly. This method is something alien to me but it is essential because of the way the camo is painted and would require some real patience to mask the sections if the model was complete.

Anyway I digress, the first (of many!) problems has been encountered which was totally my creation. I intend laying down a base coat of silver on the floats and all metal areas of the airframe, then using a liquid mask to create some weathering/paint chips. After the top coat goes on the mask can then be removed to show the silver beneath, thats the theory anyway. For my convenience I used a Halfords Silver 'rattle can' for the floats which produced some of the worst orange peel finish I have ever seen. So having sanded down the finish I then put down a layer of Alclad Duraluminium and recovered the finish, not ideal but ok.

float1.jpg

The floats have had some work on the rudders and added the control line supports for threading the cables through later. The float struts have been drilled ready to receive the lines later.

float_detail.jpg

The fuselage has been primed and a layer of the same Alclad to the metal areas for the weathering/chipping process later.

fuse_silver1.jpg

Also of note the cockpit leather armrests have now been created using simply some tubing sliced down the middle and glued in place. I tried many times to create these using milliput and the Christmas air turned blue by the language coming from the workshop, lost count how much of the stuff I had to fish out of the open cockpit..... :huh:

fuse_silver2.jpg

Most other sub-assemblies are coming along including all the wings now ready for paint and the engine which is partially assembled, wiring to be added along with some weathering and dry brushing.

engine.jpg

The engine can't be assembled into the cowl yet as that will be painted along with the airframe.

The next few days should see the camo painted and more assembly.....stay tooned :cheers:

Doc