Small point, Doc. The observer's machine gun is not a Lewis, but a Vickers K or Vickers Gas Operated (VGO). It had a rate of fire of 950 rpm.

:thumbsup: ...... Indeed you are quite correct Brews, thanks for pointing that one out. Whatever model the gun is I'm damn sure its being fixed to Swordfish last of all, already had to glue the gunsight back on twice and its not even near the plane yet. :banana:

Doc

......OK another boring progress report for you:-

At last some colour is going on the Stringbag but first some more attention for the floats. Having heard great things about liquid mask for the paint chipping I decided to try it out on the floats first. To be on the safe side I first put down a layer of Future over the silver base coat, this would hopefully stop the mask pulling the silver away also when it was removed.

float_mask.jpg

You can see the mask under the layer of sky grey which I also post shaded with a slightly darker colour. So then when the paint had dried I started to peel it away, it was at this point the I found my enthusiasm had taken over! :banana: The effect I was looking for 'slightly worn' had turned into the 'totally knackered' version, more Japanese floatplane than British.

float_unmask.jpg

I can live with it, another coat of Future in readiness for the final brown oil wash to be applied when its all together.

So next the fuselage which took a little masking but I'm happy with the finish :-

camo_mask.jpg

I think in hindsight for paint chipping personally the method I will now use is a base coat of silver followed by a layer of future, then the top coat and then just pick away with a cocktail stick to reveal the silver underneath. I find much more control as you can see the effect straight away. So after removing the masking from the fuselage I couldn't help myself and had a little pick......

fuse_unmask.jpg

Finally a photo of the wings which have all been sprayed freehand, the slats added with bluetack for the painting only.

wing_camo.jpg

So thats where the build is at present, still have to spray the struts before final assembly. The final future coat and decals will be applied later, then the oil wash.

Thanks for reading.......

Doc

zzzzzZZZZZzzzzz....... David WAKE UP :banana:

Edited by Dr Fester

Thanks all,

Before painting the struts I having cleaned the mold seam lines off and added the pitot tube to the left strut. This includes the wiring and straps made from Tamiya tape.

pitot.jpg

The floats are now fixed to the fuselage whilst I work on the wing assemblies, still need to add the pilots windscreen something I forgot before the camo went on...... :whistle: You can see that the floats seem WAY over weathered compared to the fuselage but remember eventually these will be sitting in a layer of murky green resin.

floats_on.jpg

Another closeup of the fuse side, the wing walkway was painted matt black and masked first of all and can be removed now.

side_chip.jpg

Thats all for now......

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

:whistle: SICK, SICK I SAY, MAN YOU ARE SICK!!!!!! :pray:

Just kidding Doc, this is the first time I came to this thread and I must say that I am truely AMAZED at this build. VERY VERY NICE DOC!!! You DUN goot so far, more pics SOON!!!

:o :P

Jack aka(KNITTING)Bugfan

Fantastic work there Pete :whistle:

Glad the book is proving useful :o , it certainly helped me with my build of the wheeled version.

The weathering on the floats is spot on IMHO. they would get a battering on every takeoff/landing, so would be more weathered than the airframe proper.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, thats re-assuring to hear regarding the floats. Eventually this will be moored against a jetty which I would imagine would cause some rubbing of the paintwork, this was the idea of the scrapes along the floats and I will also add some black marks.

Here is a photo of a typical Swordfish floatplane showing the paintwork damage to the floats.

sword_crane.jpg

Cheers

Doc

Yikes 1/32 :cheers: and I thought this 48th was big!

Really like your input everybody regarding how to weather the wings of the Swordfish? Being stretched canvas construction I'm not quite sure how to attack them. My current thinking would be to dirty them slightly and then hightlight the raised ribs on the wings, whats your views?

Cheers

Doc

Pete, with this model, you are making a gret work on it, I love the camo paint, Tamiyas paint isnt it.

Hector, yes you know me Tamiya paint all the way. The undersides and floats XF-19 Sky Grey. For the upper camo the instructions call for AS-4 Grey Violet :cheers: , instead I'm using XF-22 RLM Grey and XF-24 Dark Grey.

Cheers

Doc

I am pretty sure that there were rib tapes of course - I have some tape (used for bookbinding) that might work - if you like I will send you a sample (in Froom) for you to try!. By the way I think the floats look OK - they must take a bit of a bashing!! As regards weathering the wings I think that a gentle approach would be best - plus a bit of "dirt".

David.

OK now my compressor has gone bang :banana: , well to be exact one of the hoses just split for no reason.

I have tried to repair the hose but without success and with tomorrow being New Years day I can't get hold of a replacement for a while. :D

Just have to find some other jobs to do until the airbrush is operational again.

Doc

Crisis with the compressor has been sorted as I found some hose in the garage which luckily fits.

Although I have done much with this build since the last update I will include just a few photos showing the main fuse.

This has now been post-shaded and an oil wash used to bring out the panel lines. I'm actually getting used to this whole post shading business as my meagre airbrushing skills increase, I had always been put off post shading fearing I would cockup the final finish.

shading1.jpg

shading2.jpg

I have also given the wings the same treatment and darkened the canvas between the ribs to highlight the rib detail.

You can tell I'm putting this rigging off till the very last point...... :D

More to follow.....

Doc