Some more progress today and its actually starting to look like a Swordfish....

first.jpg

I had a devil of a job with the rigging and when it was all fixed to the wings as per the instructions most of it collapsed as the wings went on! :thumbsup: Still a lot of jiggling to do with the wings along with engine to be fixed on etc.

I have fitted the control cables to the tailplane :-

cables.jpg

Sorry the pictures arn't the best but it gives you an idea of the progress today.

More to follow......

Doc

Woooo, thats just perfect. What are you using for riging?

Well a bit of everything really, starting out with the wing rigging which is using mainly the Tamiya PE set but I didn't get the additional Tamiya Floatplane PE so I have made the float rigging using some tin/copper wire. The control cables to the tailplane is fishing line which I will also use for the float rudder cables. The tailplane rigging in the Tamiya set is too thick so I am using fuse wire for that.

Just finishing the engine today and various other do-dahs, should be complete in a day or so.

Cheers

Doc

I hate to have to say this BUT............. that is an extraordinarily nice rendition of one of the more difficult models - the paint work + weathering is really very good. So own up - who realy built it????

David.

PS I consider that the MODS should investigate matters!!!

Almost complete now, just requires flares and bomb rack and the aerial wire which is left off until the diorama is complete for obvious reasons.

Not really much to describe I will let the photos do the talking and there are quite a few, have patience.

sw01.jpg

sw02.jpg

sw03.jpg

sw04.jpg

sw05.jpg

sw06.jpg

sw07.jpg

Doc,

That build is S***-hot! :soapbox:

I have been following this one waiting to see the finished diorama, and I just had to jump in with a comment. It REALLY looks nice.

Great quality build and you've done it pretty quickly. I haven't even started my Kingfisher, because I'm trying to finish my DOTR entries.

Once again, outstanding job.

Chris

Thanks guys, positive comments from master craftsmen like yourselves mean so much.

Lothar to answer your question the models I make never leave the house and except for a few family & friends are only ever seen here on ARC. So this year I will be looking at your wonder models at Telford, as usual :cheers: .

As for the build well now its a matter of collecting some supplies for the diorama, resin etc. So it will probably be a few weeks before I show any further progress.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

If there's something better than "First Class", then that is it.

However, one thing I noticed about the Swordfish exhaust and collector ring at Duxford was that they were about the shade of Alclad "burnt metal" (Desmojen will correct me if I'm wrong about that).

HTH.

Bruce

Edited by Brews
However, one thing I noticed about the Swordfish exhaust and collector ring at Duxford was that they were about the shade of Alclad "burnt metal"

Good spot Brews and a nearer shade of Tamiya would be X-31 Titanium Gold, however I used artistic license and sprayed X-34 Metallic Brown through no other reason than its all I had at hand. Point taken tho and its something that might be addressed at a later date, in fact the exhaust requires a wire added routed back to the engine so its would be an ideal time to it all then.

Cheers

Doc

Doc, that is such a beauty! Really fine work throughout :worship:

The Swordfish at Duxford does indeed have a very pale coloured exhaust ring, and exhaust. The others did too (Lysander etc)

I am prepared to believe though, that out in the world getting used regularly they would have been somewhat darker.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow03/biggin/swordfish.htm

See what I mean? Still not brown, but much darker, and that's without regular exposure to sea air.

Anyway, enough. Fantastic build Doc, I love it! ;)

Jen.

Absolutely marvellous work, Doc!!

It's a good thing that I'm not sure that I know where my 1/32 Stringbag is, or, after the inspiration that your Tamiya kit has provided, I'd never get to work on my Shinmeiwa or Macchi 52!

I hope to start posting tomorrow as I think my wife and I have the camera situation figured out.

Ted

Absolutely superb workmanship Pete :cheers: ;)

Looks like the book I loaned you paid dividends :D . I look forward to seeing it in the finished resin dio base. Will you be showing us how you do the sea scape finishing using your technique and the resin? That would ice this wonderful cake B)

cheers,

Mike

Jen, Ted and Mike,

Your too kind and I'm glad you like it. ;) Although this is only stage one of this build and to answer Mikes question yes when I get all the materials I will hopefully post some dio building photos.

Thanks again. :)

Doc

(Mike email inbound) :cheers: