Well ladies and gents the resin is in and setting.......slowly.

Not a good experience and possibly ruined the whole thing <_<

I will post the results and verdict when the resin eventually sets, in the meantime a rescue mission is underway.

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester
......hope your fears are unfounded

Me too!

There are a few variables which alter the setting time for resin, firstly the hardner/resin mix dependant on the type of resin used. Then the ambient temperature is also crucial to how long the resin takes to set.

Unfortunately I was banished to the outside workshop because of the fumes from the resin so this has extended the setting time considerably.

When the resin was added the model was suspended on 2 wires to keep it at the correct height for the diorama. These sort of got in the way a little during the process but that was the least of my worries.

More news soon :beer4:

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

So the Swordfish saga continues........

I will post a few pics now but to remind you that so far the resin is still gooey and with the temperature dropping outside I have moved the base inside and is now setting in one of my dust free display cabinets.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take many photos of the process but I hope I can explain roughly what happened. First off the swordfish was placed on the base in the correct position and then using wire the rear of the model was raised to give the correct angle when in the water. The frame was masked to cover any spills which usually take place when I use this stuff.

resin_before.jpg

Having moved outside to the workshop it was time for the resin to be mixed but a few words of warning at this point. Resin is nasty stuff and gloves, mask and eye protection would be advisable, it gets everywhere and is a devil to get off. Also use a dust free environment, as you can see my workshop is covered in a nice thick layer of sawdust from the woodworking I do. Dust is a big no-no with resin and a fool proof way to ruin a nice glossy seascape, but by covering the base whilst the resin sets is all I could do.

For the resin I mixed the ratios of resin/hardener given (only to find later I had to add more hardener!) and then added the colour which I made a darkish blue to simulate a deep water harbour.

resin-1.jpg

Yes if your wondering I did get it in the ear about using my wifes measuring jug :nanner: . With this mix all ready I poured it slowly into the base trying not to get any air bubbles. As stated before the setting time has many variables for resin, the mix and ambiant temperature being the biggest of them. Normally when casting this isn't a problem just put it someplace to set and bingo, but creating a seascape means that when the resin starts to gel you have very little time to agitate the surface to give the impression of waves.

After a hour of waiting for this resin to gel I took the plunge and emptied out the resin back into the bowl and added more hardener, risky but I've done it before. Then again poured it into the base and waited........

Another hour passed and I got fed up with waiting, went back into the house and switched on the TV. Half an hour later I returned and instead of stirring the mix.... all I heard was an uncomfortable tap....tap sound. Yes it had set hard and was as smooth as a billiard table. :boohoo: I preceeded to add another layer of resin on top to get some sort of detail but that didn't work out so thats where the build is at present, I'm waiting for the second layer of resin to set.

resin_after.jpg

I have added a few more details to the Stringbag before it hit the water one of them being the lighter exhaust ring with staining added.

resin_front.jpg

Whilst this is setting I am busy making the other dio pieces as shown here:-

figures.jpg

A few figures and the eagle eyed will spot some obvious mistakes using these figures but hey its good enough for me.

More to follow.........

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

:salute:

I can't believe I missed this Doc!

First up, your swordfish is outstanding!!!. You should be very, very proud of it. You have whole host of master modellers queing up to shower you with deserved praise. I have the same kit in my stash, and I was contemplating it for the FAA GB, but not now. Now I know that it will *never* look as good as yours....

Secondly, great job on the jetty, looks very realistic. I'm sure, given how well that and the Stringbag turned out, that you will put the water base out of the hat :crying:

Thx for your comments all (even you David)

I have spent the evenings this week painting the figures and debris for the diorama and hopefully if I get some serious model time this weekend the whole thing should be done and dusted! Thanks for sticking with me throughout the build and your much needed encouragement.

The good news is the water surface is now set and although flatish I'm OK with the finish, not ideal but OK. To answer Jays question about adding more resin, well I had tried that once with no success and the water already almost covers the floats! So I couldn't add anymore even if I was brave enough to try, I will just chalk this one up to experience. One thing for sure the base ain't gonna blow away, with all that resin in the base it's heavy.

Cheers

Doc

Doc,

I like it!! :beer4: I have been thinking about placing my Martin MS-1 in a water setting. It is so small that it will become lost among other kits on a shelf. I may cheat and use a sheet of painted clear textured plexiglass as used by railroaders. But then again my kit is 1/72 scale and plexiglass is pretty close to scale. All the photos I have seen have the water pretty smooth.

Jeff

Sounds like a great idea Jeff, look forward to seeing it. How do you create the impression of the floats 'in' the water on a solid surface like glass? I imagine either cut down the floats to waterline level or cut out 2 float shapes in the glass itself.

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester
  • 3 months later...

Doc,

What a fantastic build. And thanks for the walkthrough.

As for ripples you can use artists acrylic gel, which cures completely clear and can be molded to small shapes - like ripples.

SHouldn't cost you more than a fiver in an artists shop.

Kyrre

• 7 months later...
A man of few words Mr Gambler, BTW I dig your Minder avatar :banana:

Doc :coolio:

Sorry Doc, i stuffed that post up and forgot to get back to it. :doh:

Mate, i know it was about half a year ago now, but i just wanted to say that Diorama came out beautiful, especially the Swordfish, it looks outstanding!!!

Great job. :thumbsup:

Edited by Gambler