A quickie build for me (about 3 weeks). AMT (Esci) 1/72 F-104 finished as a QF-104 drone, built OOB except for the addition of a Matchbox pilot and a Greif lens. Biggest hurdle was building it with u/c up, the gear doors weren't designed to be closed so there was a lot of sanding and filling to make them flush. Decals are from the kit. Dayglo paint doesn't photograph too well, it's much brighter than this in real-life. :cheers: The model was built for a 'Need for Speed' theme contest at my local club, hence the blurry base which I did in Photoshop.

F-104_02s.jpg

F-104_03s.jpg

F-104_08s.jpg

Thanks for all the positive replies :banana: The model's just glued onto a thin wire support, I figured it would be less obtrusive than an acrylic rod. Oh, and I don't have any acrylic rod. Obviously it's visible from some angles but being flat black just kind of merges in.

F-104_06s.jpg

I made the base by creating the runway graphics (arrows, dashed lines, runway number etc) in Adobe Illustrator then adding motion blur etc in Photoshop. Printed it out on an ink-jet, glued it to a piece of black display board and then nailed it onto a wooden base.

Edited by The Migrant
Mike - beautiful model and display! Love the blurred effect - but you do know, blurred runway decals will certainly kill the hobby this time

Well I hope so Ken, having failed miserably the first time. :thumbsup:

Awesome diorama. I was thinking of doing something similar with an aircraft after seeing a similar effect done with a Warhammer 40k hover tank.

Thanks PapaSmurf, the Warhammer Gravtank was also mine, I guess the base was the prototype of the one you see here.