Thanks again for all the comments, glad you like it.

I Love it, Especialy the base! Very cool.

Could you give us a quick guide on how you did it?

Cheers,

Nimrod

Hi Nimrod, I've given a basic overview of how I did it a few posts above yours but if you'd like more specific details let me know.

Please do us a favor-make up some more blurred runways and sell 'em on your website. I'll take one in 48th and one in 32nd!

Thanks Pete, I'll give that suggestion some thought :D I think I'd have to limit it to 72 and (small) 48 scales; if I enlarged the F-104 base to 1/32 scale it would be 27" long!

Ditto on what Pig said,they would be great for doing models for our unit,I think the modelers on base and myself included are going to get slammed with requests from pilots and crew to build models of "thier" plane when we lose our F-16's next year.Can you change the runway numbers as well?If you could that would be awesome :pray:

Fantastic build Mike :D Next to ANG/AFRES subjects,drones are a favorite subject of mine :D

Mike

That is simply superb.

I love the blurred effect you have done on the base, it makes the suspended F-104 look like it is doing mach-1 :D

BTW, the kit looks superb as well and quite eye catching with it's dayglo livery.

:)

MikeJ

Again, thank you for posting your comments. Looks like there may be some interest in the blurred bases, so I'll see about making those available. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I used decals to replicate the rivets on the rear fuselage, here's a close-up. (Apologies for the photo quality, bear in mind it's a 1/72 model so this is enlarged about 300%)

Rivets.jpg

A truly outstanding build. I had the pleasure of seeing this model at our club and I can say that it is one outstanding model. Just goes to show what can be done with an AMT/Esit kit in the right hands. :)

Thanks DC10Oiler. Why not post pics of some of the other contest entries, including that beautiful winning Bell X-1?

Question: I have a half-completed Italeri rebox of the Esci kit, and I have had a devil of a time to get the airbrakes to fit. How did you get yours so neat? Putty and rescribe? Your model also look sooo much crisper than mine... I'm praying mine is a pressing from more worn moulds. :-)

Thanks DC10Oiler. Why not post pics of some of the other contest entries, including that beautiful winning Bell X-1?

Right. Let me say two things. Firstly these are table top shots of the the X-1 so they are no the best. I'll try to replace them with better photos when I can as they certainly do not do justice to this model. Secondly, as Mike said this is the winning Bell X-1, so you can imagine just how sweet this build is.

ARCX1.jpg

ARCX1a.jpg

The remaining contest entries can be found here. Just scroll down to Need For Speed.

Edited by DC10Oiller
Lovely entries - but a Panther Tank and a Seawolf Sub? how do they fit into the speed theme ? (still beautiful builds mind)

The criteria is somewhat... loose :beer4: In an effort to encourage building models and entering them, some leeway is given although there has to be some justification (a Panther tank may have been fast for a tank for example, or a model may have been built in a short space of time). This particular contest was sponsored by DC10Oiler so he'd be able to expand on that, but if nothing else it does make for a varied contest table.

Question: I have a half-completed Italeri rebox of the Esci kit, and I have had a devil of a time to get the airbrakes to fit. How did you get yours so neat? Putty and rescribe? Your model also look sooo much crisper than mine... I'm praying mine is a pressing from more worn moulds. :-)

Henrik, I didn't have too many problems with the fit of most of the kit, and the detail seemed quite sharp. However the kit was obviously not designed to be built wheels up and speedbrake closed, because they were a real pain to model as such. Lots of glueing, filling and sanding. Because of the difficulty of rescribing the doors over the top of previously filled lines I depicted the outlines with custom-made decals.

Lovely entries - but a Panther Tank and a Seawolf Sub? how do they fit into the speed theme ? (still beautiful builds mind)

Glad you liked the photos. As Mike said, the criteria for "fast" was pretty broad so as to incorporate many different modeling ideas. And from the photos you can see that we met that goal. As for the Panther and the Seawolf, the former had a top speed of 55kph, which I understand was faster than it's counterparts on the Eastern front (lets you get out of trouble as fast as you got into it). The latter is a fast attack sub, with a submergered speed in excess of 30kts, though the real top speed is no doubt classified.