Finally did some work...

nov06pics033.jpg

nov06pics032.jpg

Ain't much, but its a start, donor Revell ADF tail base, cut, rescribed, and stuck onto Hasegawa tail, piece o cake. Also, put the Revell a/c vents in the Hase. pit, just somethin in there. Next is finishing the pit using the excellent Revell ACES seat, closing it up, and time to get painting. Knowing me, it'll probably take me a month or so. Sorry for the lighting on the pics, my "studio", aka modeling bench, got wasted last month in a basement flood.

Jeff

Edited by jefropas

I just noticed my pics went up side by side, how did that happen? Sorry, but these are my FIRST ever pics posted on ARC. They won't be my last, a whole new world just opened up here.

Jeff

(so easily amused)

Jake,

I'm gonna do a boring, all gray, 182FG Peoria jet, probably load it out like the pics I sent you, practice AIM-9's, centerline gas bomb, and a training Maverick. Gotta "represent" my current locale. There are so many ADF's I want to do, thankfully I bought about a dozen "donor" Revell kits at 50% off Hobby Lobby sales for nothing, and enough F-16 decals to do what I want.

Jeff

Sorry for the lighting on the pics, my "studio", aka modeling bench, got wasted last month in a basement flood.

Jeff

Jeff,

There's actually a really easy fix for that if you happen to have Photoshop Elements. All you need to do is select "Enhance" from the top menu bar, and then select "Auto Color Correction" from the drop-down list. From there, save the photo, and you're all set. Here's the result:

JPF162.jpg

JPF161.jpg

If you don't have access to Elements, or need anything further, don't hesitate to contact me off-board, and I'll help you out with whatever you need. :banana:

...thankfully I bought about a dozen "donor" Revell kits at 50% off Hobby Lobby sales for nothing...

hehe, I did the same thing - the entire Revell ADF kit at the HL sale was cheaper than a resin ADF tail...

Jake,

I want to do a full ADF conversion, but so far, every pic I can find does not have the AIFF ant.'s. So I am open. My only photo ref. with blades is in a AFM mag down in the "spider room" as my wife calls it, probably growing mold.

Jeff

Jake,

I want to do a full ADF conversion, but so far, every pic I can find does not have the AIFF ant.'s. So I am open. My only photo ref. with blades is in a AFM mag down in the "spider room" as my wife calls it, probably growing mold.

Jeff

Jeff, can you send me your e-mail? I've got something that might help. It's about 7Mb, though, so I hope you've got hi-speed.

Jake

Jake,

I want to do a full ADF conversion, but so far, every pic I can find does not have the AIFF ant.'s.

Most of their jets did eventually receive the full ADF-compliment of antenna, but it wasn't uncommon to see jets with only partial ADF-mods. The same is true for any ADF wing during the early '90s. Some ADFs were retired before they received the full mod.

Jake

Between potty training my 2 year old and Christmas shopping, got in about 20 minutes of my idea of fun. Its not washed yet and no fiddly bits, but enough to close it up and make it look like a Viper, albeit an old one.

pitpics007.jpg

pitpics006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it looking like a Viper, kinda. I was trying to do this non-AMS, but it hasn't worked so far. The area behind the pit is just wrong. I don't want to go nuts and am not gonna buy any resin for this puppy, so I started a minimal scratch build and got the fuselage halves buttoned up and the tail on. I'm already looking at my next project, a redo in 72nd scale. Gotta keep focused......

f16001.jpg

f16002.jpg

f16003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Non-AMS, pfffff...I guess I'm kidding myself. I think I wanna put a pilot in, trouble is all their bodies are either too huge, or too small. Then, I gotta decide, use the kits seat and detail the outside of it, or use a Revell seat and hide all the cushion detail. I lean toward the kit seat and decapitation of the old modified Hasegawa helmet to HGU-55, on a Mongram body.

pit001.jpg

Other stuff I did, detailed the front of the instrument cowl, added a canopy seal, and worked on the canopy actuator area. Didn't have the greatest pics, so some is fudged. Hopefully it'll look good under some paint. Maybe I can finish this by May.........

pit004.jpg

pit003.jpg

pit005.jpg

That rear deck looks fantastic, Jeff.....a really nice bit of scratchbuilding you've got going there. The bad thing is that it's kind of inspiring me to do the same thing now. As you've pointed out, there's not a lot of detail back there, and what you've done is a huge improvement. :wacko: