Tamiya 1/48 F-84G Thunderjet

Here's my 3rd build for this GB, Tamiya's excellent kit of the F-84G Thunderjet.

Here's the fuselage with various internal bits all added, ready to be closed up. It's great the way that Tamiya includes a Nose weight and engineers the kit for it to fit well.

Hog023.jpg

Now with the Fuselage all closed up and wings temporarily added. I decided to keep the gun panel closed and it took a little sanding and putty to make everything smooth around the cover and the the intake ring as well.

Hog.jpg

I probably should have thought to photograph the IP before closing up. Here's a pretty awful pics that shows it.

Hog024.jpg

And now with the wings and tip tanks attached

Hog026.jpg

Edited by BadCop

Well, gotten some more work done. The fuselage has been cleaned up and I've gotten the task that I normally leave until last (the undercarriage) done while the enthusiasm has been high. I've also masked the canopy (gotta love greenhouse canopies :cheers: ) and ready for the start of the painting process.

Hog030.jpg

I'm going to try something a little different here when priming for the Alclad. In addition to the White Tamiya Primer, I've done some panels in TS-14 Black to (hopefully) give some differences in metal tone after spraying with a single Alclad Colour.

Hog033.jpg

I'm going to try something a little different here when priming for the Alclad. In addition to the White Tamiya Primer, I've done some panels in TS-14 Black to (hopefully) give some differences in metal tone after spraying with a single Alclad Colour.

Interesting idea, never tried that with alclad. Be good to see how it turns out.

How come everyone builds so darn fast! I've been plodding along like a turtle in syrup.

Cheers,

Al

Edited by Pruz

Well, now I've done the OD skunk stripe down the fuselage. Next a clear coat in preparation for the (Huge sized!) Decals.

Hog040.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. Here's to hoping I don't screw up the decals.

Here are the decals mostly on this colourful aircraft. Even my other half says that this one is a lot more interesting that the Grey and camouflaged others in my collection! It's all giong well, with only one torn decals so far (easy to fix) but needing copious amounts of Mr Mark Softener to get all the detail to come through, especially on the large tail decals!

Hog041.jpg

I can see two things I've forgotten though - the Antiglare panel needs to go all the way to the front of the intake (I thought the decal would go all the way around the intake ring!), and there is some black on the front of the top of the vertical tailplane that I also forgot to add. Once I finish the decals and give them a coat of future to protect them I'll rectify this though.

Edited by BadCop

Now I've got it pretty much done. I'm not real happy with it though as I applied the flat coat way too thick, and it's looking somewhat frosted and cracked in a few places. In hindsight, I think it looked better before the flat coat. I know there are a few things I could do to fix it, but I'm afraid that it will make it look worse. Here are some pictures of it anyway.

Hog047.jpg

Hog046.jpg

Despite what I said earlier, I've decided to have a go a fixing it and have tried spraying a light coat of future on it to cut back on the cloudiness and it has worked! Still not perfect but much better, and I'll try a bit more later. Here are some pictures.

Hog049.jpg

Hog048.jpg

does look better, didnt look bad before though TBH.

main thing is (from the photo) that its darkened off the fueselage stripe and the black lettering, sweet. nicley rescued.

thinking about it, i just tried to finish a plane with a bit of white in the matt coat, brush painted and its come out a bit bleached. anything you think i could do about that?

...didnt think so!! DOH!

Edited by LaNdStOrM
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - the dirty finish is the left over from the debacle with the flat coat, so I think it all worked out for the best. I have to get some pics done of all my 3 builds now for the completed builds thread!