F35 Flies, When Do We See A Decent 1 in Plastic

I don't know if anyone else thinks the same, but I think the F-35 looks good in the air with the landing gears retracted. On the ground, however, the "legs" look quite out-of-place.

Landing gears do a lot towards the overall beauty of the plane, as in the case of my favorite, the F-16, or the F-15, or the Jaguar... But in the case of the F-35, they just look so... so... unbalanced.

The F-35 is like the new "Bangle" BMW's...you are either like/love them or HATE them. I like the F-35...I think it's sexier than the Raptor. I have some "in flight" footage from CDA first flight where the thing just looks muscular and sleek...very sexy. I love the Harrier but what are we to do?...this jet can do things the Harrier could never dream of. The "fly-by-wire 3BSM is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen.

Here is a short demo that is from CDA on RR web site though you don't really get to see the 3BSM in action...

http://www.rolls-royce.com/media/video/def.../jsf_wmv_bb.htm

I suppose it will grow on me in time, I'll more than likely build several, plenty of choices of versions and colours / squadrons, but...at the moment, I'm not overly excited about it. Maybe it's the onset of age, but I remember being absolutely knocked out the first time I had a toy F-16. There was a cartoon called Battle of the Planets in the UK in the mid-late 70's, and the Viper looked (to my very young eyes) very much like their spaceship. I was amazed that this thing was a real Fighter plane.

Still the -35 looks set to have a very long career, and it deserves it's success

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106
It's all about getting used to the design... quite often the first time you see a new design, particularly if it'll replace one you love, it jars with your idea of what looks "right". Eventually everyone will get used to it, and we'll all love it (well most of us, before you start!), and if any of us are still around when it gets superceded by something better, we'll probably all b!tch & moan all over again that the old F-35 was beautiful, and the new F-96 is a pile of you-know-what, and why are they replacing it anyway?

Facts of life are that you can't shoot down the bad guys with stunning good looks. you need to have the latest & greatest technology behind you to make sure that more of our guys make it home. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. Anything that saves our pilots getting shot down works for me :cheers:

Nicely put. I've been interested for a long time in seeing a production bird of this aircraft. Now the X-32 was ugly. I think if they'd gone with that one, it's name would have had to have been the bullfrog.

jb

I've got a F-35K Panda RN version - has all the V/STOL components except the swivle nozzel - I've no real rush to build it yet as I've got at least a Jaguar GR-3, Tonkas (2) and Lghtning to build before I even think about it. By then we might have alternatives or aftermarket kits to help me acurately build the F-35K.

YB

Yes well...don`t hold your breath too long.Look at the Raptor.......still the only kit out there in 1/48 is the Italeri/Revell boxing ,and we all know about that one.How long has the F-22 been around for (prototype and opperational )....

and still nothing..... :cheers:

Good point. I too am perplexed after all this time, there are no good Raptor models made, just those horrendous Italeri versions. God knows there are plenty of good reference materials out now for the big kit manufacturers to make a good kit.

I still have my F-22 in the box...and if nothing soon ,I`ll build that SOB and be happy with it. :worship:

Paul T

:blink:

Even though it is the replacement for my airplane, I like the look of the F-35. C'mon, it has got a 40,000lb thrust engine! The most powerful single engine fighter...EVER!! That is like having a 427 Corvette! It was not until after the pictures form the first flight did I realize how small this airplane is, I don't know what the dimensions are, but it seems small in the air. Seems Lockheed used the age old formula of putting the biggest possible engine in the smallest possible airframe.

This baby is going to kick some arse. Wonder if I can talke my wife into letting me stay in the Guard til we get them in the 113th? Probably not.

Chappie

I really liked the F-35 looking, but I'll have to wait a bit more than most of you guys.... the only model I'd like to depict is the USN F-35C, and THAT will take some years to come until we have a really nice 1/72 kit!

<_<

Serelle

Even though it is the replacement for my airplane, I like the look of the F-35. C'mon, it has got a 40,000lb thrust engine! The most powerful single engine fighter...EVER!! That is like having a 427 Corvette! It was not until after the pictures form the first flight did I realize how small this airplane is, I don't know what the dimensions are, but it seems small in the air. Seems Lockheed used the age old formula of putting the biggest possible engine in the smallest possible airframe.

This baby is going to kick some arse. Wonder if I can talke my wife into letting me stay in the Guard til we get them in the 113th? Probably not.

Chappie

Glad to hear your coming around with the F-35 Chappie! I believe it will be a worthy replacement for your Viper.

Here are some dimension numbers for the three F-35 variants:

http://www.jsf.mil/f35/f35_variants.htm

Here is a graph from Lockheed that shows a comparison with legacy planes, including the F-16. The F-35A doesn't seem that much more bigger than the Viper:

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/20.../jsfcompair.jpg

Here is a graph that shows the weapons planned for it:

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/20...ges/jsfload.jpg

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/20.../jsfweapons.gif

Like said before, really hope to hear one day you'll get to load up the F-35. Maybe you can ask/request to be TDY and be a part of the F-35's testing at Edwards or OT&E at Nellis and get to load up that bad boy! <_<

Edited by Raptor Supporter
Glad to hear your coming around with the F-35 Chappie! I believe it will be a worthy replacement for your Viper.

Here is a graph from Lockheed that shows a comparison with legacy planes, including the F-16. The F-35A doesn't seem that much more bigger than the Viper:

Hmm, only slighty larger than the F-16, but WOW.....it has over 11,000lbs more internal fuel!!

Chappie