Some Tomcat pics

What's the story with the nose tag on VF-31 bird modex AJ-111 ?

It reads Christine.

One of the maintenance guys told us (CRASCA and I) the story of why, but I've forgotten. I'm sure he can elaborate if he sees this thread.

Brian,

Any chance of a high res pics of AA/103 with the 60th anniversary markings. That would look great on my desktop.

:rolleyes:

Robert

You may have to contact CRASCA for hi res shots. He was shooting digital that day, and all the pics I have are scanned copies of my prints. See, I was living in the dark ages and was still shooting with a film camera back then.

If you're interested, complete walk arounds are available on our website in the reference section.

Edited by VF-103guy
I really wish A/M decals of that "Secdef Phoenix" scheme were more readily available... that was my favorite scheme.

dude..if you want a sheet I have like 4 copies.

Also, I have plenty of reference for us to do a sheet of the 2002 cruise birds.

I really wish A/M decals of that "Secdef Phoenix" scheme were more readily available... that was my favorite scheme.

Yeah, I'm torn between the SECDEF Phoenix and the Final Tomcat Cruise tails... those two are my faves... I'm not too much into the 60th Anniv. tail tho...

didn't it have something to do with the Stephen King movie?

We were told by the Master Chief that the "Christine" bird was a hangar queen - it literally stayed in the hangar almost the entire cruise with one problem or another. He said that as soon as they thought it was fixed, something else would go wrong - almost as if it was posessed.

So, they likened it to the Steven King car "Christine" and that is where the nose-art came from.

If I am not mistaken, this was the oldest Tomcat left in the fleet and they were originally going to use it in the final flight ceremony to prove that as old as they were, they were still able to maintain readiness.

I miss the mighty Turkey! :banana:

Edited by CRASCA
Dang, can't wait for the VF combo sheet to arrive. Victory 105 is so schexy. :banana:

In actuallity, I wished we would have done 110 instead of 105. Why? Because 103 and 110 were the last 2 VF-103 cats to fly out of Oceana and it would have been fitting for them to be on the sheet together.

But, I like 105 so that's what I went with..