Curtiss MF Flying Boat

;)

On man, and here I am worrying over the Camels' rigging. This is about a million times more complicated :huh: and you make it look so easy Mike.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post such clear and detailed shots of the rigging process. Although I have read your rigging article I'm getting an enormous amount of info from this build.

I hear you on the turnbuckle issue. I have n't decided what to do yet as the Camel is 1/32 but I can see how in 1/48th or even 1/72nd it would be difficult to create realistic looking items.

As for the display stand, that's a tough call. FWIW, I believe it looks terrific as is. The model is good enough on its' own without the need for a more dynamic pose

I'll keep an eye out for the finished pics and the ARC homepage article.

:worship:

Hiya Guy,

Thanks for the input regarding the base. After thinking it over I will leave it displayed as it is. The wood will be stained a mahogony around the edges, and I'll set the model on a square of light gray flocking so it has some contrast.

I did a bit more on it last night, I'll post some pics later this week of the finished model.

Cheers

Mike

Splendid as always, Mr. King!

I had waited to comment until I had had a chance to look at it on the machine with the better monitor. The thing has come together beautifully. I particularly appreciate the precision with which the flight and landing wires are placed in right relation to the strut attachment points.

I am looking forward to the finished piece, Sir!

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and support. The wee beastie is about 99.99999% complete, I just have to add the windscreen and mount it permanently to the base, other than that it is as finished as it will ever get. I'll post a hot or two of the finished model when it's complete, hopefully by this weekend. The final phases of rigging were actually the most trying. I used a different monofilament on this one than I am used to, and it has quite a "memory" off the spool and was very difficult to keep tight and straight. I think next time I will go back to the other spool I have and give this one to SWMBO and let her use it for her beads. I had to touch up a couple of oops here and there, but overall I am quite happy with it. It had no major problems during construction, other than the one episode with the wing. I've bult kits that were more hair raising than this, so overall it was a very pleasent build.

MFBoat66a.jpg

Head on view. Everything looks nice and straight and square. The effort of the jig paid off.

MFBoat67a.jpg

3/4 front view

MFBoat70a.jpg

3/4 rear view. This is perhaps my favorite view, showing the engine and cockpit instrument boar.

MFBoat72a.jpg

Side view. I was really pumped at the strut alignment. None of them "wandered" on me and they are all parallel and evenly spaced. Another dividend from taking the time to make the alignment jig.

Thanks for looking everyone. As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Cheers

Mike

What an inspiration Mike.

All of the hard work really paid dividends. Beautiful work on the struts and rigging. It all looks perfect from any and every angle.

This build has been a pleasure to watch unfold. Thanks for taking the time to treat us to an insight into the world of scratch-built aeroplanes.

Marvellous........... :woot.gif:

:o

Thanks Barney, Skyraider, Matt, Guy, OldMan, Luis and Holmes. Your comments and support over the weeks has been appreciated and kept me motivated.

Can we see some close-ups please?

And dare I ask "what's next?" :)

Good question Skyraider. I have a TBD-1a Devastator conversion I began a while back to finish, plus a P2Y Flying boat that has been languishing for over 10 years, and I'd also like to begin my T4M, so one of the above will probably be your answer. :worship:

I am posting a couple of shots of the finished model. I don't want to stick too many up here as it will be featured in a full build article on a very famous interent magazine sight sometime in the future. After that I will send it to Steve and if he chooses to feature it here you will see the rest then. Looking back on it it was a highly satisfying build. Not much went awry, and it came out, actually better than I thought it would, so all in all it was a very pleasent build. Only if all could be so easy... :worship:

FinishedMF01b.jpg

FinishedMF03a.jpg

Thanks everyone. See you on the boards during my next project.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you Papa Smurf and gambit. Your comments are appreciated.

Actually posting it in the critique section never crossed my mind PapaS. I can put a short blurb over there if it's not looked at as being too much. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the close-ups, Sir.

I love that engine, and had not noticed the crank on it before. A beautiful touch. The whole piece is superb.

I think you should put a couple of pictures up in Critiques, and do not think it would be too much at all. We are a hardy bunch in Classic, but I suspect we are not too numerous, and that what we do here is not widely remarked. I am generally in favor of spreading awareness of great biplane modeling....

• 2 weeks later...