I need F4U-1A gunsight/armor screen pics

Hi again

I know what you mean, I had extreme trouble finding a pic too. I managed to see a real one fitted to a windscreen on an unrestored machine. As usual I didnt have my camera on me! I think I have a pic somewhere though.

This is what I did after looking at one and peering at photos. Be aware though that the Birdcage one was different.

rates007.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Have this pic from the Bent Wings restoration site(? I think) If you look closely you will see the shape of the base of the armoured glass behind the windscreen.

39.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Also note on my model that I added canopy rails on the sidewalls and filled in the recessed part behind where the canopy sits when closed to be more accurate.

I know its is being a bit fussy, but I enjoy adding these details partly because the final airbrushing part scares me! Although now it is done I dont know what I worried about.

Cheers

Anthony

Have this pic from the Bent Wings restoration site(? I think) If you look closely you will see the shape of the base of the armoured glass behind the windscreen.

39.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Also note on my model that I added canopy rails on the sidewalls and filled in the recessed part behind where the canopy sits when closed to be more accurate.

I know its is being a bit fussy, but I enjoy adding these details partly because the final airbrushing part scares me! Although now it is done I dont know what I worried about.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for the pics Anthony!!

the kit part looks nothing like that! I managed to find one from a model mag, but it is a 'front on shot' and that makes it hard to figure out how to make the windscreen.

I also see there is a small piece of angled glass for the sight - I was wondering about that. I've seen these types of sights before and they always have that angled glass to reflect the aim lines.... but models do not seem to have this small piece...

The best published drawing of the bullet proof glass is on page 31 of Warbird Tech Series, Vol. 4. The kit part more closely resembles the bullet proof glass installed in the F4U-1 birdcage Corsair. The bullet proof glass in the F4U-1/A/D was 1 1/2" thick. You can make your own part in 1/48 using 0.30" thick clear plastic or acrylic sheet. Anthony's image shows the required shape. Take note of the curved bottom that matches the curvature of the cockpit instrument cowling.

The Mk. 8 gunsight used in the F4U-1A did not normally have an integral reflector. The reflector was installed on the pilot's side of the bullet proof glass. However, the older style of gunsight with the integral reflector could be used. This was done when VMF(N)-532 modified two F4U-1A's (BuNo's 49858 & 49914) into F4U-2 nightfighters. The bullet proof glass was removed to improve night visibility. The older style gunsight was then installed as it had the integral reflector. The pilots appreciated the improved visibility due to the raised cockpit and blown canopy as well as the improved performance from ADI.

Don

Hi, Don has hit the nail on the head.

I tried to post a pic of the reflector sight here but photobucket wouldnt recognise the file. I cant seem to change it the usual ways so will get my wife to look at it later.

I can email you the pic if you sling me one to me from the PM reply sent you (does that make sense??!?)

Anyway the pic I have shows quite clearly the extra reflector glass installed on the pilots side of the windscreen. It is about 1/4 the length of the armoured panel and has about a 10 degree sngle on it.

Cheers

Anthony (now running late for work!)

The best published drawing of the bullet proof glass is on page 31 of Warbird Tech Series, Vol. 4. The kit part more closely resembles the bullet proof glass installed in the F4U-1 birdcage Corsair. The bullet proof glass in the F4U-1/A/D was 1 1/2" thick. You can make your own part in 1/48 using 0.30" thick clear plastic or acrylic sheet. Anthony's image shows the required shape. Take note of the curved bottom that matches the curvature of the cockpit instrument cowling.

The Mk. 8 gunsight used in the F4U-1A did not normally have an integral reflector. The reflector was installed on the pilot's side of the bullet proof glass. However, the older style of gunsight with the integral reflector could be used. This was done when VMF(N)-532 modified two F4U-1A's (BuNo's 49858 & 49914) into F4U-2 nightfighters. The bullet proof glass was removed to improve night visibility. The older style gunsight was then installed as it had the integral reflector. The pilots appreciated the improved visibility due to the raised cockpit and blown canopy as well as the improved performance from ADI.

Don

Thanks for the info!

Hi, Don has hit the nail on the head.

I tried to post a pic of the reflector sight here but photobucket wouldnt recognise the file. I cant seem to change it the usual ways so will get my wife to look at it later.

I can email you the pic if you sling me one to me from the PM reply sent you (does that make sense??!?)

Anyway the pic I have shows quite clearly the extra reflector glass installed on the pilots side of the windscreen. It is about 1/4 the length of the armoured panel and has about a 10 degree sngle on it.

Cheers

Anthony (now running late for work!)

I sent you a PM - thanks!