F/A-18G Shocker question

Seeing Karl's Shocker in-progress build made me think of something... will the 18 Golfs have the older-style instrument coaming in the back, or the newer ACS-style coaming? It's fairly safe to assume that the rear tub will probably considerably different from what it is on the standard models... but I wonder how different?

I understand it may be too soon to know for certain... just something to ponder!

Edited by Skull Leader
I was under the impression it was the E/A-18G 'Growler' (to replace the 'Prowler').............

But will it have a... eh..."beaver tail"..?

;-)

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre
Joe,

I know I've probably asked this already and I know it 5 months away, but will you guys send a G up to Andrews for the Open House?

Chappie

I honestly have no idea. I guess it would depend on the jets' workload at the time.

I was under the impression it was the E/A-18G 'Growler' (to replace the 'Prowler').............

Will

You are technically correct - in the same way that the F-16 is technically the Fighting Falcon, but not everyone associated with the plane actually LIKES calling it that :D Not many Prowler people I know are that fond of the G-word. At best, it's treated with resignation (as in, "this is what the five-sided-looney-bin stuck us with, guess we have to go with it). On the other end of the spectrum is outright hostility. That would include me :)

It's fairly safe to assume that the rear tub will probably considerably different from what it is on the standard models... but I wonder how different?

From everyhing I understand (though Joe would probably know better), the in-cockpit differences between a G and F are going to be primarily software.... not a great deal of physical difference. In fact for the longest time the simulator Boeing kept bringing up to Whidbey was an F cockpit with a different software load to show us jammy-stuff.

You are technically correct - in the same way that the F-16 is technically the Fighting Falcon, but not everyone associated with the plane actually LIKES calling it that :D Not many Prowler people I know are that fond of the G-word. At best, it's treated with resignation (as in, "this is what the five-sided-looney-bin stuck us with, guess we have to go with it). On the other end of the spectrum is outright hostility. That would include me :)

Karl,

I thought they should have stuck with the stinging insect format when naming the G, like YellowJacket.

Is "Shocker" going to stick as the nickname amongst the Prowler community?

Chappie

From everyhing I understand (though Joe would probably know better), the in-cockpit differences between a G and F are going to be primarily software.... not a great deal of physical difference. In fact for the longest time the simulator Boeing kept bringing up to Whidbey was an F cockpit with a different software load to show us jammy-stuff.

huh... I guess being pretty much a glass cockpit, they can do stuff like that. Sure gonna make watching the Army vs. Navy game easier on long flights... :D

Karl,

I thought they should have stuck with the stinging insect format when naming the G, like YellowJacket.

Is "Shocker" going to stick as the nickname amongst the Prowler community?

Chappie

The revolution is well underway... :banana:

The branch head at work made the mistaking of asking a couple of us minions to help him come up with a name for the NSAWC department that will become the weapons school for the G. After suggesting the accurate "G Weapons School" or "G-WS (pronounced G-whiz)" we then moved on to such helpful suggestions as "Shocker Institute of Tactics" which could be nicely abbreviated as Sh.I.T. Not long after, he stopped asking us for help.

huh... I guess being pretty much a glass cockpit, they can do stuff like that. Sure gonna make watching the Army vs. Navy game easier on long flights...

Heck, I don't even watch that when I'm in my living room....

Now the NFL Ticket... THAT bears some investigation...

The revolution is well underway... :cheers:

The branch head at work made the mistaking of asking a couple of us minions to help him come up with a name for the NSAWC department that will become the weapons school for the G. After suggesting the accurate "G Weapons School" or "G-WS (pronounced G-whiz)" we then moved on to such helpful suggestions as "Shocker Institute of Tactics" which could be nicely abbreviated as Sh.I.T. Not long after, he stopped asking us for help.

I am so going to have to bring that up at next months syallbus (CSO/UMFO/FRS) conference!

Edited by mb1k
The revolution is well underway... ;)

:rofl::rofl: I love it!!! No matter what the brassholes say, the guys who fly them and wrench them will have the last word.

Chappie

:thumbsup::taunt: I love it!!! No matter what the brassholes say, the guys who fly them and wrench them will have the last word.

Chappie

That's why we forever say, "Viper, Buff, and Bone" at work. No matter what they or the experts at the local IPMS chapter want to call them...

You are technically correct - in the same way that the F-16 is technically the Fighting Falcon, but not everyone associated with the plane actually LIKES calling it that :thumbsup: Not many Prowler people I know are that fond of the G-word. At best, it's treated with resignation (as in, "this is what the five-sided-looney-bin stuck us with, guess we have to go with it). On the other end of the spectrum is outright hostility. That would include me :taunt:

Thats cool, I wasn't aware that it had already recieved a nickname.

Will

Thats cool, I wasn't aware that it had already recieved a nickname.

Will

Given the dubious (and typically smelly) nature of what "Growler" actually means in the navy, I'm sure the VAQ community was motivated to come up with a suitable nickname in record time. (and knowing the typical personality of pilots/NFOs, they were probably just looking for an excuse to use the word "shocker" somewhere.... :cheers: )

The revolution is well underway... :cheers:

Heck, I don't even watch that when I'm in my living room....

Now the NFL Ticket... THAT bears some investigation...

How about Growler - System and Tactical Requirements INtegration Group?

Oh to be in charge of creating the unit patch . . .

We figured we could call the whole tactics syllabus - from in-squadron stuff (Level II, Level III etc) up through the tactics instructor course the "G System for the Promulgation of Operational Tactics".

Edited by Karl Sander

:D If you have any ideas, I'd be more than happy to see them. :thumbsup:

Matt :D

We figured we could call the whole tactics syllabus - from in-squadron stuff (Level II, Level III etc) up through the tactics instructor course the "G System for the Promulgation of Operational Tactics".

You been to Guam anytime recently?

I think I'll keep calling it the Growler, right after I knock the gear out of battery...

-Hoops

I can just picture a young lad/lass asking the security dude at the NSAWC building "where's the G-SP0T located??"

And since you've seen a few of them, you can probably imagine them not knowing what on earth said young lad/lass is asking about... :)