1/72 Revell Tornado

Are those 1,000 LB bombs in that kit?

How many can the tornado carry?

Im sure i read it was only two (if it had fuel tanks), but after browsing Youtube, ive found a video if a Tornado (with fuel tanks) dropping three LGBs, but im not sure what weight they are.

can anyone clarify things?

Are those 1,000 LB bombs in that kit?

How many can the tornado carry?

Im sure i read it was only two (if it had fuel tanks), but after browsing Youtube, ive found a video if a Tornado (with fuel tanks) dropping three LGBs, but im not sure what weight they are.

can anyone clarify things?

Hi, Ollie,

The Revell AG 1/72 incluges four 1000lb iron bombs, and 2* 1000 Paveway IIs. I'm pretty certain it can carry four 1000lbers on the lonf underfuselage pylons, two to a pylon.

since the whole point of LGBs is to deliver the explosives exactly where you want them, there wouldn't be much point in having one over 500lbs, unless you wanted to engage in some serious bridge-destroying or bunker-busting.

Cheers,

Chris.

I don't know about the Revell kit but RAF Tonkers used to carry up to 8 x 1000lb bombs on the underfuselage pylons, with fuel on the wing pylons.

During Gulf War 1, this load would be lofted onto Iraqi airfields mainly to keep the AAA down. Then again, a Tornado with 8 x 1000lbers and 2 tanks isn't going anywhere fast!

The bombs in the RAF kit are 1000lb-ers (If you read the small print in the decals you will see they are meant to be mk 2-somethings, representing the radar fused nose version or so I was told!).

As Vulture says, the Tornado can/did carry up to 8 of these on the underfuselage pylons, on twin stores carriers forward and aft

For LGBs, either two or three can be carried on the forward end of the underfuselage pylons (2 shoulder plus centre line), due to the length & width of the weapons the centre one is staggered

The weapons are again supposed to be RAF 1000lb CPU-123Bs. Tornado can also carry the larger PWIII BLU-109(?) based weapon, and is beleved to have been trialled during the Gulf war with mk 84 based PWII weapons

Edited by Dave Fleming

The Tornado can also carry 8xBL755 CBU's on Twin Store carriers as well.The center of the 3 ERU's on the GR1/A belly pylons were only used for Special Weapons however for the Gulf,the S/W ERU's were removed & replaced with Heavy Duty ERU's so the jet could carry drop tanks.

The centreline pylon was'nt fitted to the Tornado fleet prior to Op Granby.