I was watching some vids and noticed (not sure why I hadn't sooner) the tail wheel on a Blackhawk steering the copter while it taxied. I always thought they were controled on the ground the same as in the air. My question: is there a seperate control to operate the rear wheel, can someone explain how that's done on a UH-60 as well as a Chinook? Thanks as always!

Jeff's got it right. Pretty much the same on the Apache. We use the antitorque pedals to steer plus differential braking to assist the turn. Brake on the right to turn right, left to turn left, etc. The tail rotor does most of the work. The cyclic is used to maintain a level fuselage attitude while you're doing it. While taxiing, the tailwheel's free castering. When you conduct your before takeoff check, you lock the tailwheel.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

I never flew a non-Navy SH-60, so I didn't know any better, though the dual tailwheel was prone to "shimmying" when doing a rolling landing, even with the damper installed. And you can hit the ground with the tail if you're trying to be too cool when landing.

That question is kind of like the current one I get "how does the dome affect how it flies?". Answer: "I don't know...I've never flown an E-2 without the dome"

Spongebob (1300 SH-60B hours)

The Chinook has a small wheel like knob on the center console in between the pilots that is used for steering the aircraft on the ground, when the hydraulics go out they do what they call two wheel taxiing. The 2 wheel taxiing is when the pilot pulls pitch on the front of the aircraft lifting the front two main landing gear off the ground leaving the back two on the ground. The pilot will then use the pedals to turn the aircraft around on the ground. This is a very neat sight to see.

Brock

Not sure if anyone has seen a RN Lynx on a small deck, but in the -60B we would lift, back up, turn into the relative wind and depart that-a-way. The Lynx's would unlock the tail wheel, and since their main wheels are angle out would turn on the deck into the wind, then take off. Weird and Cool all at the same time.