Luftwaffe colours ('39-'45)

All,

If you could recommend one book on Luftwaffe markings and colours during WWII, which would it be, please?

Have book tokens for Christmas, wish to spend wisely :cheers:

MTIA,

Patrick

The Classic Publications title "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings" volumes one and two are probably the titles one should delve into for a very thorough treatment of the subject. Both are currently available.

Eric

Hi: There´s one book from Michael Ullmann, he researched for a lot of time, and it is the most accurate book on the subject...I can´t remember the name of it, but, with the author´s one, there couldn´t be any trouble in finding it...

Both book recommendations are excellent(Merrick's two volume set Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1939-45, and Ullman's book Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 (which according to the publisher is OOP)) but really more from a technical perspective of for someone interested in in the technical orders setting forth camouflage requirements and how the paint companies produced and applied the paints. If you are looking for a single book showing the various colors and markings in use by way of photographs and profiles done from a modelers perspective instead of a historian, you might be disappointed with these. For just modeling, I can not think of any 'one book covers all' titles. So, what are you looking for, what do you want to know about WWII Luftwaffe colors and markings? Do you want a thorough history (Merrick), a collection of color examples for model inspiration, or just what?

Both book recommendations are excellent(Merrick's two volume set Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1939-45, and Ullman's book Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 (which according to the publisher is OOP)) but really more from a technical perspective of for someone interested in in the technical orders setting forth camouflage requirements and how the paint companies produced and applied the paints. If you are looking for a single book showing the various colors and markings in use by way of photographs and profiles done from a modelers perspective instead of a historian, you might be disappointed with these. For just modeling, I can not think of any 'one book covers all' titles. So, what are you looking for, what do you want to know about WWII Luftwaffe colors and markings? Do you want a thorough history (Merrick), a collection of color examples for model inspiration, or just what?

Hi again, Chuck!

I was wondering about the first volume* of Merrick, given the most welcome advice above. I'd like to understand the technical reasons for the schemes applied to aircraft one might want to model (which I've never really gone into before) in order to be more informed about the context and the way they're subsequently modeled. Which I hope doesn't read as too pretentious - just want to do things properly! So the historical analysis may well be what I'm after.

Have just rediscovered E. R. Hooton's 'Eagle In Flames - The Fall of the Luftwaffe' which, IIRC has an excellent overview of which unit did what, and where (amongst many other things); have Capt Eric Brown's 'Wings of the Luftwaffe' which I find a fascinating insight into how the aircraft really flew. Does that show where I'm trying to get to? A poster here (sorry, forget name) has a great sig along the lines of 'modelling is holding history in your hands' - I want to make models that look like that and be more informed about the reasons for the colour schemes they wear. Ultimately, would also like to be able to plan to model a given aircraft before actually buying the media to make it... :whistle:

Regards,

Patrick

* It's still fifty quid, so 'softly softly catchee monkey' for vol-2 is likely :)

Hi again, Chuck!

I was wondering about the first volume* of Merrick, given the most welcome advice above. I'd like to understand the technical reasons for the schemes applied to aircraft one might want to model (which I've never really gone into before) in order to be more informed about the context and the way they're subsequently modeled. Which I hope doesn't read as too pretentious - just want to do things properly! So the historical analysis may well be what I'm after.

Have just rediscovered E. R. Hooton's 'Eagle In Flames - The Fall of the Luftwaffe' which, IIRC has an excellent overview of which unit did what, and where (amongst many other things); have Capt Eric Brown's 'Wings of the Luftwaffe' which I find a fascinating insight into how the aircraft really flew. Does that show where I'm trying to get to? A poster here (sorry, forget name) has a great sig along the lines of 'modelling is holding history in your hands' - I want to make models that look like that and be more informed about the reasons for the colour schemes they wear. Ultimately, would also like to be able to plan to model a given aircraft before actually buying the media to make it... :D

Regards,

Patrick

* It's still fifty quid, so 'softly softly catchee monkey' for vol-2 is likely :D

Hello Patrick, I own both volumes of the Merricks books. Volume I provides exactly what you are looking for. Volume II expands on that knowledge. Hope this helps!

Ernest

Edited by greif8

About 25 years ago Thomas Hitchcock and Merrick published a single volume book (Luftwaffe Painting Guide) which really was a one stop shop for a Luftwaffe modeler. Yeah, they screwed up a couple of times such as reversing the names and descriptions for colors 82 and 83, but it really was good for the time.

Volume 1 in the new Merrick set covers prewar colors, paint development and application, theory of camouflage and day fighters through '45. Volume 2 covers other aircraft and the basics of unit recognition codes. There is a color chart in volume 1, but it doesn't include the mid and late war colors. There are additional color charts in volume 2 which include the mid war greys and late war greens. I do like the Merrick set, just be prepared to work for the data for which you might be searching and don't expect nice colour profiles of representative aircraft.

While it may not be exactly what you are looking for, also take a look here for another idea. It doesn't get into camouflage very much, but it is a thumbail coverage of all Luftwaffe unit recognition markings.

[snip]

While it may not be exactly what you are looking for, also take a look here for another idea. It doesn't get into camouflage very much, but it is a thumbail coverage of all Luftwaffe unit recognition markings.

OK... thanks for that, sir. I see the Rosch is the same price range as vol I Merrick. I don't mind working for the data since I do enjoy the incidental finds (just been reading Galland's first kill story on't web after the thread elsewhere on ARC mentioned his memoirs.) May ask/force the local library to get both Merrick and Rosch in for me, and decide from there.

Obliged. As per the previous query you were good enough to help me on, my resources aren't unlimited so the advice is much appreciated.

Patrick