My two blues F-4EJ Kai (anti shipping) support fgihter

4hhngbt.jpg

I painted in black the parts than neet to be cut off to add the Cutting Edge Seamless Suckers set.

2lw545u.jpg

Building the wing is simple you just need to cut and sand somebulges specific to Navy variants of the F-4.

2myuszp.jpg

te fitting of resin intakes is far from perfect on the side fuselages. By th eway th efit is good on the bottom.

4cdla9x.jpg

Why to add those resin intakes? well just to see something inside the beast!

42lanfm.jpg

I just added Lion Road resin bang seats to this Phantom, but will try to get Black Box set for my next one, the Hasegawa cockpit is a little short in the rear serction and let the air intake visible .

2dbnrdi.jpg

Hope you like it, more pictures soon to come, so keep tned!

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo: This look very good so far! :boohoo: What technique did you use for painting the cockpit? I m also working on a 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom (not for this group build), and your "office" looks really good!

Another aternative for a bang seat is the Aries set. I am using them for my Phantom and they look pretty good.

Mike

Paolo: This look very good so far! :boohoo: What technique did you use for painting the cockpit? I m also working on a 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom (not for this group build), and your "office" looks really good!

Another aternative for a bang seat is the Aries set. I am using them for my Phantom and they look pretty good.

Mike

I use to spray the cokptit with Gunze or Tamiya grays. Then I added the black areas with an acrilyc flat black, the best one are from Xracril or Prince August. I use to think the blaclk with lot of water to make it flood all the area that need to be painted. Usually it will takes 2-3 times to cover the area with the thinned black. ThanI drybrush the surface, added a few drop of colours here and there and add Future to instrument panel to simulate glasses. Radr screen was made with Tamiya Clear red + Clear Orange over a chrome base.

Cheers

PAolo

some more work done

40l2pz6.jpg

2rq0o69.jpg

34z0ys9.jpg

I scratchbuilt the barrels of the Vucan gun just to fill the void in the Hasegawa kit. I also open the vent above the nose and scratchbuild it with fine plastcard. Finnally I added a Fine Molds brass pitot tube.

4h0rxy1.jpg

30a3xit.jpg

Seats has been removed from the fuselage to make masking easier before painting.

2m35xzl.jpg

Please remember tu sand flush the two small bumps indicated by the blu arrow, I also added a small antenna, again made by Fine Molds. More to come, hopefully tomorrow.

Intakes attached, I had to ad some plastcard striper to fill the gap. Then I gave the kit a base of gray to check for faults.

44bytlt.jpg

since I had some black colour in my airbrush (used to paint the nose cone) I tried to do a preshading of panel lines even if I'm pretty sure it will be useless due to the dark blu paint to go over it.

44sgg40.jpg

4doddlj.jpg

47bt75h.jpg

I used Gunze new formula Maskoll to cover the Sparrow lounchers that should remain gray. Let's hope the Gunze Maskoll will not eat the Gunze gray underneath!!

For the weekend I will start palying with the blues!!

Great work!

One question:

Building the wing is simple you just need to cut and sand some bulges specific to Navy variants of the F-4.

I didn't know the Japanese had a "navy" version of the F-4EJ Kai. Do you mean the the blue-colored ones tasked with anti-shipping?

If so, may I know what changes you made from the "standard" F-4EJ Kai? I'm interested because I will build it one day. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Well, actually it is not a "navy" version but an ANTI-NAVY one! LOL!

Actually the F-4EJ use by Panther Squadron (8°Hikotai) are standard F-4EJ KAI but are used in air to ground missions instead of air to air as all the other JASF F-4EJ. They can still use AIM-9L, AAM-3 and AIM-7F, but their main weapons are the Mitrsubishi ASM-2 anti shipping missiles that you can see in the photo here below.

The blue colour is not used by all the Squadron's aircrafts, I was able to identify only 10 F-4EJ in two blues while a Squadron should have 24 F-4EJ KAI in service. The two blues are the same colour used by Mitsubishi F-2 "support fighters" that share the same base, the main difference is that Mitsubishi F-2 are painted by the builder with proper stencils on, while the PHANTOMS are painted @ Squadron and all the stencils remained with a tiny gray border all around (due to masking). This tiny border is the main interest of this camouflage, I guess.

4crzrpz.jpg

2yuegpe.jpg

29ek710.jpg

Great progress there Paolo. Although the intake fit could be better, there is no seam. Good job so far.

I like this bird, I would like to do it myself too. Where will you find the stencils and decals?

Great progress there Paolo. Although the intake fit could be better, there is no seam. Good job so far.

I like this bird, I would like to do it myself too. Where will you find the stencils and decals?

There is only one way to go in 48 scale: try to find the Hasegawa box PT09556

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG09556

unfortunatly it is sold out all over the world. I also would like to buy one more if I can find one.

Hasegawa decals are very well printed and researched, especially when they made Japanese planes.

In 72 you can buy a whatever Hasegawa F-4EJKAI kit and add to it Platz decals sheet It is still available is some shops in Europe but again sold out in US and Japan.

Unfortunately Platz never print those decals in 48 scale, maybe we need to send them a message from here asking for a 48 scale sheet to be printes ASAP!!!

Cheers

Paolo

There is only one way to go in 48 scale: try to find the Hasegawa box PT09556

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG09556

unfortunatly it is sold out all over the world. I also would like to buy one more if I can find one.

I have one in the stash i'm never gonna build,PM me if your interested..

Cheers,

Gary in the UK

Unfortunately Platz never print those decals in 48 scale, maybe we need to send them a message from here asking for a 48 scale sheet to be printes ASAP!!!

Cheers

Paolo

Yeah that. I'd like to build this plane also, hope Platz will make some decals in 1/48th.

Their decals are sold fast, and they do not re-print them, and that a shame 'cause their decals are beautiful printed and thin. I am searching in couple of their sheets, but with no success.

They make interesting decals, hope they will make this sheet too.

Edited by kiki.o

4e0qo9j.jpg

40om9tl.jpg

In these two pictures you can see the added low intensity navigation lights added. These are PE pieces by Eduard. I think it is a nice and due addiction to any F-4 kit since ther is nothink in the Hasegawa kit but a plain decal for the job. Those light are slightly raised over the fuselage so a PE set is a good way to made them. I will also replace Hasegawa horrible yellow stripes by more realistic decals by Pro Modeller.

Most of the painting has been done, next weekend Iwill give her a couple ofcoats ofFutureto prepare surfaces for decals.

2s7z7o4.jpg

2s142nl.jpg

2houv4x.jpg

2r2m2wj.jpg

to respect th pattern of the two blues I scaled up Hasegawa painting guide and cut paper masks. Masks were put on the model with small balls of blu tack

2gui1hg.jpg

35aolex.jpg

2holedg.jpg

2r7lsw9.jpg

As you can see interiors detail is not my main interest and I'm not that good in detailing it.

Paolo, what shades of paint did you use?

Well this is the question, isn'it?

Actually I'm using what is left from my Mitsubushi F-2A project I finished last year! Sure you can find the article in ARC main pages.

Now, how I made those colous? Well I wasn't able to state the quantities but I started from Tamiya intermediate blu and added to it gloss white, clear blu and royal blu. Actually more royal blu used for the darker shade and more white for the lighter one. I'm sorry I didn't take notice of the percentage of each ahades but I use to work this way:

I choose a good printed photo, put a sheet of clear paper over it and start mixing colours. From time to time I put a drop of colour over the clear paper and check it whit the photo. I go on like that until I got the shade I need. I know it is not a reajly professional method but my MK.I eyes are the only one I have.

Hasegawa tells you to use WWII vintage USN paints for Mitsubishi F-2 and Phantoms bluesI!!!, so I think my own made shades can be good as well.

But please, if you or anybody else has a better formula for the blues let me know. I plan more F-2 and hopefully one more blu Phantom!

p-s. I choose tamiya paints since I knew I need lots of Future to place all those stencils and Gunze Acrilics paints didn't like Future that much, besides I never had a problem with Future over Tamiya acrylics.

Edited by Paolo Maglio
Great progress. The painjob is very nice, I like the colors.

Good job so far.

What colors did you use for rear(metal) part of the Phantom?

It is a mix of Titanium and Exhaust by Aclad II painted over a Tamiya gray base. Don't try to use Aclad II over Gunze Acrilycs since it may crack.

Thank you for your commets, I'm glad that you like the colours I made.

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio