My two blues F-4EJ Kai (anti shipping) support fgihter

Well this is the question, isn'it?

Actually I'm using what is left from my Mitsubushi F-2A project I finished last year! Sure you can find the article in ARC main pages.

Now, how I made those colous? Well I wasn't able to state the quantities but I started from Tamiya intermediate blu and added to it gloss white, clear blu and royal blu. Actually more royal blu used for the darker shade and more white for the lighter one. I'm sorry I didn't take notice of the percentage of each ahades but I use to work this way:

I choose a good printed photo, put a sheet of clear paper over it and start mixing colours. From time to time I put a drop of colour over the clear paper and check it whit the photo. I go on like that until I got the shade I need. I know it is not a reajly professional method but my MK.I eyes are the only one I have.

Hasegawa tells you to use WWII vintage USN paints for Mitsubishi F-2 and Phantoms bluesI!!!, so I think my own made shades can be good as well.

But please, if you or anybody else has a better formula for the blues let me know. I plan more F-2 and hopefully one more blu Phantom!

p-s. I choose tamiya paints since I knew I need lots of Future to place all those stencils and Gunze Acrilics paints didn't like Future that much, besides I never had a problem with Future over Tamiya acrylics.

:woot.gif: THat's quite a concotion you're using!

I'm experimenting with some model master paints, and I think I've come up with something similar... French blue for the lighter shade of blue, and Dark Sea Blue for the darker shade (I believe the "WWII" shade you reference). They're available out of the bottle without mixing, and seem fine. I'll know better soon! :lol:

Great progress so far, I like it.

Seems everyone has a different flavour for the F-4EJ color, here are a few shots of my version built for the F-4 GB :-

front.jpg

top.jpg

Now for the light blue I used Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue with a little XF-18 to tone it down. For the dark blue I used XF-8 Blue with a little XF-17 Sea Blue to dull and darken it slightly.

Keeping an eye on this great build.

Doc

:P

Great progress so far, I like it.

Seems everyone has a different flavour for the F-4EJ color, here are a few shots of my version built for the F-4 GB :-

front.jpg

top.jpg

Now for the light blue I used Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue with a little XF-18 to tone it down. For the dark blue I used XF-8 Blue with a little XF-17 Sea Blue to dull and darken it slightly.

Keeping an eye on this great build.

Doc

Yout job was very fast and awesome !! :bandhead2:

I like your color !!!

Thanks your share the mixing formula too, I mix the light color many times but fail ........

So .....what your next ac is ?? :beer4:

So .....what your next ac is ?? :cheers:

Struggling with the Tamiya Swordfish at the moment. :D

I do feel that Paolo has captured the lighter blue on his F-4EJ extemely well, a slightly darker shade but possibly the mix I used would be a little easier to reproduce.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your excellent build thread Paolo :thumbsup:

Doc

Struggling with the Tamiya Swordfish at the moment. :D

I do feel that Paolo has captured the lighter blue on his F-4EJ extemely well, a slightly darker shade but possibly the mix I used would be a little easier to reproduce.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your excellent build thread Paolo :thumbsup:

Doc

You are wellcome Doc!! I love your Phantom, actually it is the very same machine I will finish in the next few weeks (hopefully). I think at the end everybody will be able to distinguish my F-4 from your since I will leave opened canopies and add anti-shipping missiles. Mine will also be a lit bit more weatered.

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Future (just a thin coat since the kit was alreadysemigloss) is dry now I can really play!!!

I love decalling and this time I have a full A4 size decals sheet to put on th Phantom! Most of them are small stencils so it will take time to use oll of them. The good news is that I don't need to wait for the weekend to add one or two stencils, I can do that in a few minutes every day before gong to work.

33ww7cn.jpg

332w8jp.jpg

More decals and stencils placed, stll a long way to go!

For the low intensity formation light I'm using Promodeller decals instead of Hasegawa too much yellow one, these will be th eonly outsourched decals in this project.

2zswd3p.jpg

47w7c78.jpg

Hi,

Very nice Phantom Paolo !!!

I'm hoping to do one in 1/72 in the near future too !

In 72 you can buy a whatever Hasegawa F-4EJKAI kit and add to it Platz decals sheet It is still available is some shops in Europe but again sold out in US and Japan.

I have been looking for both Hasegawa kits (see marketplace) and those Platz decals, but without succes :crying:

Can you tell me where in Europe I can still buy them ??

Thanks,

Daniël

Hi,

Very nice Phantom Paolo !!!

I'm hoping to do one in 1/72 in the near future too !

I have been looking for both Hasegawa kits (see marketplace) and those Platz decals, but without succes :crying:

Can you tell me where in Europe I can still buy them ??

Thanks,

Daniël

Hello Daniel and thank you for your kind words, about Platz decals

there was one sheet left here: http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=L...0&art=50227

but unfortunately it was sold a few days after I made the post above.

Paolo

Paolo, your beautiful phantom motivate me to open my F-2 kit ~~ <_<

You will enjoy building the F-2 it is a good model, rich of details and easy to build, I wish all Hasegawa kit go on that well, here you are mine finished last summer:

4go6rlc.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

It is amost done, we just need to glue the canopies!!!

Placing those millions stencils was't that easy but I finally made it, just a few stencils every day to save patience and health.

46y3rqr.jpg

33e4jt0.jpg

as you can see Cutting Edge resin intakes added dept to the kit:

2cwrbc7.jpg

34pxv79.jpg

ASM-2 missiles come from Hasegawa JASDF weapons set and give a fearsome looking to the F-4

44b4m01.jpg

2u5tmxg.jpg

If my wife will not invent something else to do for me this afternoon, I hope to show you photos of finished model later this evening or tomorrow. Keep tuned!

Beautiful work Paolo. Very nice finish and in such a short time too.

Guess now you'll have time to build an F-16A?! :)

Thank you Craig, I had lot of time in the early part of the year since I go back to work on January 8th only. Next weekend I will choose between the F-16, a CF-5 and a F-111G, will keep you updated.

Paolo

Paulo,

Very well done. Beautiful finish and a fast build. How do you build so quickly and maintain quality? I'd like to get my build speeds up.

Rodney

Well here in italy we have quite long Christmas holidays, from December 23rd to January 8th.

Working 2-3 hours in the morning and 3-4 in the afternoon it can be done.

The secret is too keep your workbench clean and try to don't loose any pieces.

I also discarded many problematic pieces like the wing tanks. That pieces need lot of attentio and detail if you want to use them.

Fine molds PE set for the cokpit was also a fast way to complete the cokpit. since the two blues were already available from what was left from my F-3A kit, the longest jobs in this building were masking and decalling.

To help me making I used 48 scale copies of the painting guide. For the decals I worked during the whole week, even if I have towork I was able to spare a few minutus in the morning and a few in the evening to place some decals.

Thank you for your comments

Paolo