Holloman replacing F-117 with F-22

Everybody knew this was happening, but I didn't realize how soon it was going to happen. According to this article, the first HO Raptor will be arriving in 2008 and the last F-117 retiring about that time. So for you Nighthawk fans, especially those who like in-flight pics, get those cameras out because you got less than two years.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_4933430

If I were a Raptor Driver, I wouldn't be too eager to be based at Holloman. Matter of fact, I think I would dread it.

Everybody knew this was happening, but I didn't realize how soon it was going to happen. According to this article, the first HO Raptor will be arriving in 2008 and the last F-117 retiring about that time. So for you Nighthawk fans, especially those who like in-flight pics, get those cameras out because you got less than two years.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_4933430

If I were a Raptor Driver, I wouldn't be too eager to be based at Holloman. Matter of fact, I think I would dread it.

I would not say that. I was stationed there for three years and Alamogordo was a pretty googd place to be. You have all types of climates within a couple of hours drive. and dont forget, just south of the border is lots of fun!!! :cheers:

Ray

I was stationed at Holloman from September '73 through May '76. Not a lot of fond memories! 49th TFW was dual-based (Conus and Europe) and was the largest fighter wing in TAC. Many days of 12-hour shifts and never knew if we had the weekend off until Friday at 4:30. Usually did not. Rumor was we had the highest suicide rate and lowest reenlistment rate in TAC. Alamogordo was OK but tried to get to El Paso once a month to visit book stores and hobby shops and just have something to do. One thing I'll never forget is hearing the siren go off and then the CQ coming down the hallway banging on doors and shouting "Recall, Recall." I used to get up quickly and open the door to deny him the satisfaction!

I'd think it'd be a great place to be based considering the flying weather you'd get. I think its great because I can see them fly in person now (live in Las Cruces ~60 miles away).

Rodney

HO Raptors!!! YES!!!!!

Hey man, it's not everyday you get your last name on a few F-15s... then F-117s... and now F-22s! WOOT!!!

GOTTA BUILD ME ONE OF THOSE in the future!

Ming Ho

I was extremely happy to put Alamagordo in the rear view mirror at the end of LIFT, but I've known plenty of people who enjoyed their tours there. It does have great range spaces, and easy access to DACT (unlike Hawaii).

What about the golf courses out there?

The base course is unusual: 9 holes of a narrow strip of dried out grass surrounded by baked adobe. It does wonders for the distance on your drives.

Regards,

Murph

What about the golf courses out there?

The course on base is ok. Alamogordo has a decent course. There are some nice courses up in the mountains at the Inn of the Mountain Gods and Ruidoso.

Rodney

and dont forget, just south of the border is lots of fun!!!

Ray

So I hear! :)

One thing I'll never forget is hearing the siren go off and then the CQ coming down the hallway banging on doors and shouting "Recall, Recall." I used to get up quickly and open the door to deny him the satisfaction!

I'm now having flashbacks back when I was at the Kun and went through twenty-five different recalls/exercises in my year there! :wacko:

Only difference is we didn't have CQ anymore.

I'd think it'd be a great place to be based considering the flying weather you'd get. I think its great because I can see them fly in person now (live in Las Cruces ~60 miles away).

Rodney

All right! An ARCer in the area. Be sure to take lots of pics for us. :cheers:

HO Raptors!!! YES!!!!!

Hey man, it's not everyday you get your last name on a few F-15s... then F-117s... and now F-22s! WOOT!!!

GOTTA BUILD ME ONE OF THOSE in the future!

Ming Ho

Isn't it great and an honor to know they're basing the Raptor at a base specifically with your name in mind? :lol: :cheers:

I was extremely happy to put Alamagordo in the rear view mirror at the end of LIFT, but I've known plenty of people who enjoyed their tours there. It does have great range spaces, and easy access to DACT (unlike Hawaii).

I see. Thanks for the info Murph.

• 2 weeks later...
Watch out for the Tacos moving down there. We're gonna be the second ANG unit to get Raptors. It'll be a shame to lose the Vipers. :wub:

A shame to lose the Vipers? Dude, you are sad that the TACOS are going to be the second ANG unit to have the opportunity to fly the hottest jet in the sky right now? Something that at twice the size can potentially keep up with a Viper in manuevers, yet more then likely engage from a lot further out on an offensive posture? :cheers:

Just kidding, I know it can be difficult to say goodbye to your first love. But, I think this new machine will help dry those tears rather quick when you see the capabilities it has.

It's not the jet I'm sad about. I think most of us are sad because we have to move from Albuquerque to podunk Alamogordo.

At least you boys are staying in the Fighter Biz though ...

Gregg

Something that at twice the size can potentially keep up with a Viper in manuevers,

There's no "potential" about it. In BFM engagements againt F-16's the F-22 spanked them the same way they did F-14's, F-15's, and F-18's.

Regards,

Murph