1/144 scale tilley crane

I am in the process of building a 1/144 scale modern carrier diorama and looking for plans or "great" detail shots of a Tilley crane. Of course if anyone has actually produced one in kit form, that would be better! Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get good enough pics I can create the plans on CADD and would be willing to share them in exchange for your help.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

G'Day Niart17, Head over to the railway section of your LHS and sus-out what they have in white metal in N-Gauge. N is a tad smaller than 1/144, but usable.

I've got an N-Gauge heavy farm tractor towing-away pieces of a shot-down Me 110 nightfighter from the taxiway of a US B.17(G's) airfield.

George, out...........

G'Day Niart17, Head over to the railway section of your LHS and sus-out what they have in white metal in N-Gauge. N is a tad smaller than 1/144, but usable.

I've got an N-Gauge heavy farm tractor towing-away pieces of a shot-down Me 110 nightfighter from the taxiway of a US B.17(G's) airfield.

George, out...........

thanks for the info, unfortunately the tractors are considerably different from today's tilley cranes. Although that may be a good source for the large tires I'll need.

have a great one

Bill

Thanks G.G.. I have found a few pics on Carrier builders web site, but it's mostly just the external shapes. There are a lot of area that are exposed, that i can tell have a load of detail, but there just aren't any good pics of those areas. I've scratched a 1/350 before, but for anything 1/144 or bigger, I really need more detail. Any thing you have would be great.

I guess the positive of not finding anything is, I could just fake those areas and chances are, nobody would know any different. ;)

Thanks, Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Philp. that helps some. that is exactly the style crane i'm looking for. every pic i get helps put one more piece of the puzzle of what this thing looks like. Your pic is the first i've seen from that angle with people standing close, so now i can guesstimate that the tires are somewhere between 6' and 7' tall. that helps with a close overall size. if anyone else has anything, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
I am in the process of building a 1/144 scale modern carrier diorama and looking for plans or "great" detail shots of a Tilley crane. Of course if anyone has actually produced one in kit form, that would be better! Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get good enough pics I can create the plans on CADD and would be willing to share them in exchange for your help.

Try this site: www.tpub.com

They host a section on carrier and ground-based equipment.

Specifically, try this link for the modern version of Tilly (A/S32A-35A Aircraft Crash Handling and Salvage Crane):

Tilly

The illustration is a 3D top/side view of Tilly. I have others if you are still interested (email me at - ron79w@yahoo.com).

My project is a 1:144 scale model of the USS Kitty Hawk in the 1970s. While looking for pictures of the older Tilly I located this site and found the one mentioned above. The site has illustrated pages for other carrier and airfield equipment which can be printed or saved from an Adobe Acrobat document.

Another link that may be of help is from www.carrierbuilders.net. There are pictures of a 1:144 scale USS Nimitz 1:144 USS Nimitz. There is a Tilly on her deck, so, try contacting the owner, Dan Linton (thelinton@rogers.com), about the sources he used.

Good luck,

Ron

Here's another little tidbit for you...

This link is for a US Navy training manual for Boatswains Mate (an Adobe Acrobat document).

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/pdf/aviationboatswainsmateH.pdf (Boatswains Mate Manual).

Some of the the dimensions and specifications of the Tilly crane are listed on page 246. Quicker to search any of the following:

CARRIER VESSEL CRASH CRANE

CVCC

A/S32A-35A

Another document that is readily available has the same information about Tilly in my first response - but with more detail - in an Adobe Acrobat document, "Aircraft Support Equipment". You can find it at: http://compass.seacadets.org/pdf/nrtc/an/14014_ch9.pdf (Aircraft Support Equipment)

Hope some of this helps,

Ron