Well I finally started this build.

F-4CMich.jpg

Found (in my desk) an old resin cockpit from KMC, but it is basically a copy of the Hasegawa 'pit, so it's still an OOB build.

The KMC resin I'll utilise on an old AMT kit!

The ac will either be Shadow Demon or Baby either of which supposedly go on #63-7442?

Not sure on that yet.

Did a google/yahoo search, but only game up with Garfield #63-7583 in a clear photo on

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/index.php

, which has a search function utilising serial #'s.

None of the other ser.#'s provided, illustrate (in photos) the port side or artwork! :wacko:

More progress reports to follow.

I've managed to find a photo of Baby on 63-7442 from William Tell '84.

So I guess I'll go with a brunette draped over a Sparrow! lol.

http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/Images/twtd03/f4c37442.jpg

The plane is a clean configuration in the photo, however I'm going to utilise the wing tanks & may even use a SUU 23A gun pod from Has. Weapons Set C on the centreline (rather then the drop tank), along with Sparrows/Sidewinders.

Give it the fully armed treatment!

A member of local club, told me about a Mich. Phantom photo with multiple gunpods installed, but I haven't found one (yet!) during web search.

Anyway here are some shots of the RHAW removal, utilising a TriTool saw I purchased many years ago in local club group purchase, from Hobbylink Japan.

It's the 1st time I've had a chance to use it, but was easier to use then your typical razor saw.

More 'flex' availible.

Tritoolcut.jpg

RHAWremoved.jpg

Also provided a comparison of old resin KMC 'pit alongside the Has. 'pit.

Quite similar, with improvements in the MB seats & fuselage sidewalls standing out the most.

Hence my decision to utilise the KMC on an old AMT kit (decal 'pit) & go OOB with this build.

Will try my hand at 'tape' harnesses similar to what Cristiane did in his RF-4C build.

Resinvskit.jpg

Haven't had time to continue search for the "gunfighter" photo, but how did they manage 6 pods?

I could see 1 pod per station, for a total of 5.

But I'm no expert!

Well I've started to primer the 'pit, and while it cures, I cleaned up some parts.

Turns out the Set C doesn't include a pylon for the gunpod.

Neither does A or B! :)

So I obtained one from the Hasegawa RAF Phantom FGR. MK.2 (Kit P16).

Used kit part#C.23 which is the pylon for the gunpod in that kit.

FGR2pylon.jpg

BTW, the gunpod in the RAF kit, appears to be 'stubby' version, which according to D&S I have on the F-4C, is to clear the gear doors when used underwing.

Here is comparison, dark grey being from Set C.

FGR2pod.jpg

The holes for fuel tank were filled on bottom & 'location pegs' removed on pylon.

The fuselage bottom had an outline molded on (forward slightly of fueltank holes), that matched the pylon so pylon was cemented into the outline.

Comparison was made with RAF fuselage bottom & the position matches it's location, so went with it!

PartC23.jpg

Down to basic parts cleanup & will post photo of painted cockpit later in the week hopefully.

Haven't had time to continue search for the "gunfighter" photo, but how did they manage 6 pods?

I could see 1 pod per station, for a total of 5.

It was only 5, as there are only 5 weapons stations on an F-4, excluding the missile stations.

The gunpod load was ONLY for an airshow, PURELY for show, and the jet never flew with that load operationally. Sure looks cool, though.

Jake

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

Maincomponents.jpg

The main components assembled and starting to cut Tamiya masking tape into harness straps.

Kit also transferred from kitchen table to crowded hobby desk!

(no matter how many times I clear it, I end up with a tiny work space! lol )

Re: the gun pods.

I saw the photo in another thread here on the board.

I also recall some very old film footage from the Vietnam era, which was of a gunpod in use (on centreline), and it didn't appear too stable.

The gunfighter does look cool though!

Edited by Auger
Looking pretty good. What scale is it as I'm not familiar with this kit?

Thanks

It is the Hasagawa 1/48 F-4C/D Phantom II "Egypt 1" kit #PT11(3200) which has a one piece canopy included.

The F-4D version I hope to build next in this GB, is the same kit.

Although it is kit #P6(2200) which does not have the single piece canopy.

Otherwise both kits are identical (raised lines) and originate back in 1988 according to the 'printing' info on the instruction sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Tamiya tape was too "low tack" (kept falling off) & appeared too thin to me, as well.

So I tried 3m painters tape, for seat harnesses.

Applied tape using photo in D&S as a reference and the resin seat (in photo) destined for a different Phantom kit.

Primered one seat, as I'm not too sure on the taping result yet.

Will have to paint up the seats to decide if I like the "tape harnesses".

Basically down to sanding & prepping for primer now, on the rest of the kit.

Primeredcloseup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Been a few weeks since last update! :cheers:

The ejection seats are are base coated and just require drybrushing/wash.

Main aircraft still requires fine sanding.

Hope to finish that & spray primer by the end of the coming weekend! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm definitely falling behind schedule!

Here is a shot of OOB Cockpit.

F-4CCockpit.jpg

The seats are just placed in for now, to check clearance of the 1 piece canopy.

Sanding of aircaft has taken longer, due to my decision to remove most of the raised panel lines.

I decided to do that, after studying photos of the Michigan birds online & in D&S.

The Michigan F-4's were kept very clean & the raised lines, even though they were fine, did not portray a clean aircraft IMO.

Some lines near control surfaces, gear doors were kept.

I may try a few subtle panel tones, but overall the ADC Grey is smooth/monotone in most photos.

Lookin good John!

I need to get my hands on a couple Hasegawa C Phantoms. Either that or one of the Monogram late 80s boxings with NYANG markings!

Jon

Or you can convert a Hasegawa F-4J(the releases with engraved panels),steal an IR fairing from an AMT kit(or get the AirDoc conversion),use the KMC/True Details F-4C cockpit,and find some short J-79 exhausts.

The J kit is easier to find than the C and I like the engraved panel lines myself,never did see a bunch of butted panel lines or raised panel lines when I worked on the 1:1 scale F-4's :woot.gif:

IIRC,somebody is releasing a NY ANG sheet later this year,not sure if itwas for the F-4C or D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK

This GB is obviously long finished, but not my F-4C! :doh:

Shortly after the April post above, I sprayed the nose in Tamiya semi-gloss black, which went nice & smooth.

003.jpg

Along with Testors Metalizer tones on tail.

Then those areas were masked off, along with the gear wells.

The ADC Grey was then applied, using Aeromaster ADC Grey.

After the Grey dried, I proceeded to remove the low tack masking tape & discovered that some of the adhesive stayed on the nose:

F4tail002.jpg

Thus requiring a new round of sanding & re-application of the black. :doh:

Removing the gear well masking proved to be a daunting task.

I had used a combination of liquid mask & low tack masking tape, which became a brittle acrylic mess, once coated with the ADC paint colour.

Tried to 'soften' the mask with alcohol, but it in turn seeped under the paint on the wing (leaving a brownish stain on the wing) & did not really soften the masking too much. :D

I resorted to utilising a chisel to removing the masking from the gear wells:

001-1.jpg

This resulted in loss of detail in the wells, but so be it.

It was also dropped while cleaning up the nose, from a height of 12" above table top, landing 'somewhat flat' but still snapped a weapons pylon in half.

The phantom has since been repaired & sanded once again and then resprayed with ADC Grey/Black/Metalizers.

A clearcoat has been sprayed & decalling will soon commence.

(The liquid mask has been tossed & the low-tack tape replaced with a new roll-both items most probably very 'old', as I couldn't recall when I purchased them last.)

I love the yellow and blacks markings of the 171st.

One of my favorites is the ADC Gray Michigan jet that suffered a mishap and was fitted with a huge chunk of wing section from a wraparound SEA scheme jet, even flying in those hybrid colors. Cutting Edge has, presumably now long OOP, sheets with these very markings in 1/72nd and 1/48th.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre