Back in the saddle

Decals on. Took 3 x 2 hour sessions. Quite thick carrier film with wide borders around decals which often required creative trimming to make them fit. The 'glue' also yellowed & came off in clumps, so each decal had to be removed from backing paper in water, scrubbed with a paintbrush to remove the glue gunk, slid back onto the paper, then applied over a coat of MicroSol. Got a little silvering in places but not too much - will try to rectify that with touch-up painting.

Interesting - other Matchbox decals I've used have been much thinner, though still suffered from the glue breakdown - age I guess.

Next - a sealer coat of gloss (or semi-gloss), then I can unmask the cockpit/windscreen.

PortDecals.jpg

Decals on. Took 3 x 2 hour sessions. Quite thick carrier film with wide borders around decals which often required creative trimming to make them fit. The 'glue' also yellowed & came off in clumps, so each decal had to be removed from backing paper in water, scrubbed with a paintbrush to remove the glue gunk, slid back onto the paper, then applied over a coat of MicroSol. Got a little silvering in places but not too much - will try to rectify that with touch-up painting.

Interesting - other Matchbox decals I've used have been much thinner, though still suffered from the glue breakdown - age I guess.

Next - a sealer coat of gloss (or semi-gloss), then I can unmask the cockpit/windscreen.

PortDecals.jpg

Thommo

Looks great!

Once the decals are on, the model comes to life in my opinion!

:cheers:

Johno

Some more pics. Followed the advice of Swanny's Complete Future article and sealed the decals/dulled down the Pollyscale gloss with a mix of about 10 parts Future to 1 part Tamyia flat base to give a satin finish (then noticed the port fuselage star/bar is a little off-line :lol: - but too late now & you really only notice when you take digi closeups). Finally got to see the cockpit again, put the seats in. Quite pleased with the result.

PortAll.jpg

Front.jpg

StarBdClose.jpg

CockpitCloser.jpg

Cockpit1-2.jpg

Bloody awesome Thommo.

What did you do the harnesses with?

<_<

MikeJ

Thin strips of metal cut from a softdrink can Johno - can bend them into shape & they stay put. Then CAed them in place, Tamiya spraycan primer then handpainted with Tamiya acrylics.

I finished the whole thing last night (wheels on, landing hook on, canopy on) - will post some pics next week. I actually think it is the most eye-catching model in my entire cabinet - love that colour scheme.

Thin strips of metal cut from a softdrink can Johno - can bend them into shape & they stay put. Then CAed them in place, Tamiya spraycan primer then handpainted with Tamiya acrylics.

I finished the whole thing last night (wheels on, landing hook on, canopy on) - will post some pics next week. I actually think it is the most eye-catching model in my entire cabinet - love that colour scheme.

Thommo

What a beaut idea!

I have used lead foil (dentists supplied) and the top of my contact lense cups...

Good idea about the cool drink cans <_< I look forward to seeing the finished build. Superlative work as always.

:cheers:

Johno