Xtracolour/Xtracrylix RAF WWII paints - any good?

I've decided to switch to acrylic paints for spraying and I'm looking for a manufacturer that does an accurate range for WWII RAF aircraft. Xtracrylix appeal because they have a complete range, including FAA/Coastal command colours, and they're easily avilable in the UK.

But what are they like for accuracy, and do they need lightening (I build mainly 1.72 scale).

Are there any better alternatives? I'd rather go to some trouble to obtain accurate paints than to use poor matches.

Thanks in advance,

John

They seem pretty good. They are natched to the colour standard, so they are not 'pre-lightened' and I suppose it depends on how you want your colours!

Their Medium Sea grey does seem a little too dark -darker than the Xtracolor enamel version

I have just started using them regularly and they seem fine - but have not tried straight out of the pot - seem a bit thick to me! They are gloss of course. Water seems an adequate thinner. As to colour correctness - well I think they look good enough. Certainly the hues of the paints used on the full size aircraft varied from can to can as well as batch to batch - it even depended on how ell the "erk" concerned had stirred the can in the first instance. I really do not know what you would use as a comparison to assess the colours. Perosnally I go with anything that looks right.

Edited by miduppergunner

Hi Mike - hope all is well...

Yes - I have had a bit of beading but just sprayed over it - no idea what causes it other than possibly the surface was a bit "greasy"? - Unlikely however because it had an undercoat and also a rub over with Scotchbrite type pad. Since I have been spraying in the garage recently ( with temprature about 50) I have not had any blockages of the type you mention. That could therefore be down to drying too quickly - it is a bit too cosy in your workshop? You could also be right about adding a bit of white - this is a very common fault in model finishing - bearing in mind that the model is the original viewed from quite a distance.

David.

I find that beading effect happens if I spray too heavy a coat on the first coat.

I have Xtracrylix but havn't sprayed with them yet. I find with my Vallejo though, that too much on the first coat gives that beading. If you dry it off you can spray over it ok as long as it isn't too bad. I find that using a bit of alchohol as well as or instead of water helps a bit.

Jen.

Xtracrylix are great- opaque, smooth, glossy- but the surface must be primed first. If not, any masking tape will rip it off in sheets. I know this to be a fact.

Migrant,

I've had the opposite experience, I found Xtracrylics to be very, very tough when thinned 50/50 with the Xtracrylic thinner. My only complaint is that they foul my airbrush tip very quickly- I much prefer Gunze for sprating soft-edged camoflage.

Brent

Edited by brentce
Migrant,

I've had the opposite experience, I found Xtracrylics to be very, very tough when thinned 50/50 with the Xtracrylic thinner. My only complaint is that they foul my airbrush tip very quickly- I much prefer Gunze for sprating soft-edged camoflage.

Brent

Interesting, as I also use their proprietary thinner and always wash the plastic first with Polly-S cleaner. Perhaps some colours are sturdier than others? Regardless, whenever I use Xtracrylix I prime first after that one experience.

I found that Xtracrylix behaves and smells very much like Lifecolour acrylics. Coincidence? Who knows?

Anyway, my experience with Lifecolor tells me that while it doesn't like being the first coat on, it is possible.

I find that thinning it down to the consistency of semi-skimmed milk (with a few drops of Liquitex Slo-Dry) and misting the first coat on thinly does the trick. Give it plenty of time to dry and don't worry too much about any apparent pooling: it seems to level itself out if left alone.

HTH,

Mark.