Achtung Luftwaffe Experten

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how easy is it to build a Ju 88A-1 from the Revell (or indeed the Dragon) A-4? Is it simply a matter of changing the canopy? I also note that Falcon Clear-Vax 35 includes a canopy for a "Ju 88A-1/A-5" - I assume this means that the A-5 and A-1 canopies were identical.

I'll be pursuing other lines of enquiry on this, but any information would be helpful and appreciated.

TIA

The main differences are the canopy, the wingtips, the engines and cooling arrangements. There are also differences in early production gondolas, but I think this is internal to A-1s. The A-5 is basically an A-1 with A-4 wings, and maybe canopy, but the earlier engines.

The A-1 wingtips are shorter, with nothing beyond the end of the ailerons.

The engine has no bulge underneath. This contains an oil cooler on the A-4 (Jumo 211F) which has been displaced from the front annular radiator because of the increased cooling requirements of the more powerful engine. So the pattern of radiator elements is different too. I assume that this may mean differences in the opening gills at the rear of the housing but don't recall any details.

I don't know about the 1/48th kit, but the Italeri 1/72 A-4 had the correct shape radiators for the A-1. You should be able to use the Squadron Signal Ju 88 In Action as a guide.

The A-1 also had a different rudder shape with a vertical hinge line, not stepped at the top as all the rest of the Ju 88 series used. Other than that, I think Graham nailed the other differences, the biggies are the nacelle shape and wing span differences. I think there may have been a change in exhaust arrangement bewteen the A-1, A-5, and A-4, but am not positive on that.

Apologies for the confusion. I was talking 1:48, and "Revell" in this instance refers to the Revell/Monogram kit, alas only available here second-hand at the moment. (Why didn't I get one when it was available? I hadn't had the moment of inspiration that causes me to want to build one, isn't that always the way? :cheers: )

Edited by MikeC