A-4E Aggressor Finished!

Here is the Hobbycraft A-4E finished that ScottD gave me awhile back. The Hobbycraft kit is simple to build. The instructions are really bad, leaves out attaching all sorts of parts such as lights, antennas, etc. Initially, I tried to free hand the camo and failed miserably. I kept getting splatter no matter how much I thinned the paint or what air pressure I tried spraying at (used MM enamel paints). Any suggestions on solving that dilemma would be appreciated. Sanded the paint back down and used the blue-tac method for masking the camo scheme. I'm still experimenting with washes and thought this one came out ok. Used water soluble oil Payne's Grey in Turpenoid for the bottom and had problems wiping the unwanted residue off (after less than 5 minutes drying). Switched to Oil Payne's Grey for the top and had much better luck though not completely satisfied yet. The tact pod is horribly done. It had a blunt nose and is shorter than the one that comes in the Hasegawa weapons set. I drilled out tip and added some telescopic tubing to make it a little better. Overall, it was a fun build.

I have one more Hobbycraft A-4 in the stash and that one will receive the Squadron canopy and True Details seat to overcome the main failures of the kit. I rushed finishing the model to make the A-4 Group Build deadline since I'm going on TDY for three weeks.

Also, is posting here sufficient to be considered a participant in the group build or do I need to email pics to somebody?

Thanks,

Rodney

A-4EAggressor321.jpg

A-4EAggressor322.jpg

A-4EAggressor323.jpg

A-4EAggressor324.jpg

A-4EAggressor326.jpg

A-4EAggressor325.jpg

Sweeet camo job! :cheers:

A very attractive Scooter. This is a perfect example of how a beautiful model can still be made from a less than ideal kit with skill, patience,and attention to detail. Well done.

Mark

Sweeet camo job! :cheers:

A very attractive Scooter. This is a perfect example of how a beautiful model can still be made from a less than ideal kit with skill, patience,and attention to detail. Well done.

Mark

I wholeheartedly agree! Beautiful finish, well-built, and panel line wash not overdone. Nice Skyhawk!

Rodney, very nicely done- I love this scheme. I still disagree with Bob in that I believe the markings should read "VF-126" vice "VA-126", but that certainly isn't your issue! You've done a terrific build that rivals the Hasegawa with a kit that is certainly not nearly as 'desireable' in lesser hands.

...BUT...can't...hold...back...any...longer...from...being...an...AR...jerk...The USAF has aggressors, the Navy has ADVERSARY squadrons.

:whistle: Pet Peeve. Sorry!

Rodney, very nicely done- I love this scheme. I still disagree with Bob in that I believe the markings should read "VF-126" vice "VA-126", but that certainly isn't your issue! You've done a terrific build that rivals the Hasegawa with a kit that is certainly not nearly as 'desireable' in lesser hands.

...BUT...can't...hold...back...any...longer...from...being...an...AR...jerk...The USAF has aggressors, the Navy has ADVERSARY squadrons.

:) Pet Peeve. Sorry!

Thanks for the kind comments on the kit. I went back and did some checking. In insert provided by Two Bobs with the decals, it does state that the squadron was designated VF-126. I found a picture of this particular aircraft in Naval Fighters number 51 Douglas A-4E/F Skyhawk in Navy Service by Steve Ginter on page 125. Unforutately, the squadron designation is unreadable in the picture but the text would seem to support your statement.

I guess I've been using Aggressor and Adversary interchangably. Should've known that the Navy and Airforce would "have to" use different terminology. I'll try to remember that for the future.

Rodney

Just to reinforce what Rodney said, yes, it is VF, not VA, even though it is clearly an attack aircraft. The difference is in the mission assigned to the squadron. VF-126 was indeed VA-126 before Topgun came along, if I recall, but when the primary mission became adversarial, and thus a fighter role, they became VF.